Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1621 - 1640 of 1650 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I don't receive this station at all here in Mississauga even though I have LOS to Hamilton.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I live less the 5 kilometres from the tower and unless I aim my antenna in a very specific direction towards the tower I don't receive it and then I don't get Fox, PBS and sometimes CTV Toronto, I only aim the antenna when I want to watch football or golf . It is a very weak signal I don't understand why.

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I raised my aerial to 20ft to no avail, but based on the most recent posts clearly other factors are at play here. I guess it should come as no surprise that Etobicoke or Mississauga residents would require extraordinary means to pull this in. I was actually about to put it down to the transmit pattern because we actually align with one of the lowest points in the signal contour. However, when I read John's post, less than 5km from the transmitter, it really underscores that something is truely amiss. I'm no expert but perhaps the blue faces are an indication the the station is not transmitting all it should, power or components?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
No, the Blue picture is an encoder problem. Nothing to do with their Transmitter or coverage directly.
CKVP was doing something in the weeks / days before it moved from rf 42 to rf 29.
Guessing something in their distribution chain is giving them fits.

The color problem should be a simple problem to fix for someone from Bell Media capable and presumably on the transmitter site that knows what they are doing.
The coverage issue 5 km away the other guy was having could very well just be overload from the High Power Transmitters at or near the same transmitter (ie CHCH and CITS).
If that user is using a preamp at all, they should try it again without the preamp inline, and see what happens. If he isn't using a preamp, then I don't know what to tell ya...

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hey Tony, I just tried to tune it in this morning. For a few minutes it was just above locking threshold (frequent break ups) and now it's gone completely. I've never seen the blue faces but I have a very small sample size. Like jlcinc2, I only tune to CHCJ to watch something I want to see and not available anywhere else.

I can't blame today's failure to lock on the weather. It's clear out there and every other station is booming in. Has to be CHCJ's crummy Tx.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It's probably tropo coming from Philadelphia way. I am getting Philly and South PA stations right now and rf35 is blank, it's ALWAY around 35-30dB here.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Tonight, the video is 'stuttering' to keep up with the audio on CHCJ. Not a lipsync issue: it looks like the video is actually dropping frames.
Still amazes me that Bell can't properly maintain one of its newest transmitter sites, housed in a building that is regularly attended by Bell employees. Even if the Upper Wentworth central office techs can't troubleshoot an ATSC transmitter, they could easily have one of the CFTO transmitter techs visit the site instead of having someone drive all the way from Barrie.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
They probably have a limited number of techs that serve several sites and types of facilities. TV transmitters are probably at the bottom of the priority list. They will be looking after more profitable facilities first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I’m also in Etobicoke and suddenly in the last two months I can’t receive this CHCJ repeater. If it comes in it’s so faint. I’m starting to think the repack is causing something for this channel to become harder to receive? Can’t receive the Barrie signal itself eitheir. Did on the analog days. Would like to watch the channel for the news up north at times.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Markow202, CHCJ is on a backup transmitter which is even harder to receive in Etobicoke than its main transmitter which isn't easy for many of us.

"They probably have a limited number of techs that serve several sites and types of facilities. ..."

ExDilbert is exactly correct. In the old days each station had it's engineers. Then it was centralized and a lot of expertise was given their walking papers. Now there's probably less than a handful of people at Bell in the whole country who even know what ATSC is (or how to even spell it :) ). I'd bet that handful do it on the side (they have other "full time" of close to full time assignments).

"they could easily have one of the CFTO transmitter techs visit the site instead of having someone drive all the way from Barrie "

As far as I know, there is no one in Barrie any more other than local news people. All the engineering is done out of Scarborough (401 and McCowan) for all of Ontario (or maybe more?). Given how large companies operate, Bell like has a cost center for "Television Transmitter Maintenance" with a token small amount of money in. Somebody likely has to make a proposal to draw on it and have it approved at several layers of management, even for something as small as gas money to drive from Scarborough to Hamilton and back plus per the hourly rate, and that the time spent is time taken away from other responsibilities this person would have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
So what if something happens to their main 1000ft tower in Barrie and transmitter? It’s running on luck?
CHCJ has gotten better in the last week although still not the best but I’m receiving it lately.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Still no updates on CKVP? I wonder why I am unable to receive CHCJ but I am able to pick up CHCH and CITS out here in Niagara near Lake Ontario. 🤔

·
Registered
20 Posts
CHCJ is also now solid for me but only one bar on the meter in strength which was always the cas. They must have fixed it back to normal because for the past few months it was next to impossible to receive

1621 - 1640 of 1650 Posts