Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1601 - 1620 of 1650 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same here, tunes the channel fine but no guide data. CTV2 London does the same thing, and global from Paris. Cbc does it about 50% of the time for me.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
... likely hamstrung by Bell's cheapness.
I hate to defend these guys but it is a business. If the CEO came out and said "we're going to spend more money on the OTA" he'd be ousted immediately. There's simply no return on investment here.
On the other hand, guys like station engineers who've been around forever love fixing this sort of stuff if you can get ahold of them. They'll doing on their own time. They are happy to hear from people who appreciate their efforts almost always.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I disagree, If you cant maintain your over the air signal then lose your simsub rights .Guide data is mandatory in the USA.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
I hate to defend these guys but it is a business.
On the other hand, if customers feel cheated they will try and find ways of cheating the company or take their business elsewhere. The problem with broadcasting in Canada is that Canadians have been turned into a captive customer base by government regulation and empire building by big business. That's especially true of Bell. Not that Canada is unique in that respect but Canadians seem to be very resourceful at getting revenge.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I looked at the CTV signal from Toronto this AM. Indeed they ARE sending Program guide info, however it is from Monday and Tuesday Oct 5th and 6th... So your TV knows that time has passed as it's now Friday, and doesn't display it. They might need to reboot the computer / server that gathers the epg info from their epg provider to get them back in sync with the encoder? Or there might just be a IP related problem between the server that sends it to them and the client that receives it. Regardless, people (casual viewers) that don't know anything about digital broadcasting, have no appreciation for what it takes to get it all done smoothly.

Also I noticed their STT table indicates this is a month where we switch to Daylight Savings Time, but they indicate that day to be October 1st at 2 AM.

See the day and time of the events I see at 8Am on Friday Oct 9th.
See how far off it is?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Been 2 readings already, hopefully daylight savings time is kept and we never switch again. For some reason it's up to Quebec and New York to decide for Ontario..

·
Registered
38 Posts
CKCO engineering replied to my email this afternoon. They've fixed their PSIP data, and I can confirm that everything looks good now. From my DX logger it appears that they fixed it around 2pm today.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been a long time OTA user in Ottawa, can get the channels from Camp Fortune without trouble. Here's my problem: for a very long time (over a year) the network clock on channel 6.1 (CIII-DT) has been lagging the correct time by 13 minutes. This is very strange, since all the other channels display the correct time. I have asked technical help for my converter box: this correction cannot be made locally, the time stamp comes from the transmitted TV signal. As a result I cannot get the program listing for Global and I must adjust the time for the PVR to correct for the time difference. Does anyone know where I can ask for help to fix this problem?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The broadcaster needs to tie their encoder to a proper time source so that the system time table (STT) that they broadcast is accurate.

send them an email demonstrating the issue with some pics, good channel vs. bad channel next to an accurate clock.

should be pretty straight forward for them to fix that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The broadcaster needs to tie their encoder to a proper time source so that the system time table (STT) that they broadcast is accurate.

send them an email demonstrating the issue with some pics, good channel vs. bad channel next to an accurate clock.

should be pretty straight forward for them to fix that...
Thanks for your help. You know and I know that it shouldn't be hard to fix, my problem (what my question referred to) was: how to find THEM, the person at Global TV in a position who could do it? I found an email address to the newsroom, I assume people who work on the news would not know about OTA technical problems. I sent an email to that address a few days ago anyway, asking to have it forwarded to their engineering group. We'll see if anything comes of it...

·
Registered
442 Posts
What the heck is wrong with CHCJ-DT? The signal being broadcast looks like the red colour is shifted out of phase with green and blue, creating halos in almost every image. Either that, or there's some weird ghosting going on.
When I check channel 1054 on Bell satellite, it's fine, but CHCJ's equivalent OTA signal is wonky.
Probably the Hamilton transmitter is left unchecked, yet again, with the pandemic as Bell's convenient excuse.

·
Registered
442 Posts
A week later, and now CHCJ's signal looks like a herringbone pattern has been applied. Last week's out-of-alignment red colours was fixed the following day, but here we are with yet another problem affecting all programming, commercials included.
Again, if I switch to CTV Barrie's channel on Bell satellite TV, it looks fine, but the OTA signal from the Hamilton retransmitter looks like a choppy zigzag, reminiscent of dot crawl from NTSC.
How the hell can CHCJ's OTA transmitters be so poorly maintained when it broadcasts from the Bell central office in suburban Hamilton?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Mr. Eous, have you tried sending an email to BarrieEngineering AT Bellmedia DOT ca (assuming that still exists). If you get to the engineering staff, they are usually pretty good at assisting (and will thank you for bringing it to their attention if it wasn't a known issue). The hard part is getting to them. Emailing/Phoning the station itself is pretty useless.

Re: "How the hell can CHCJ's OTA transmitters be so poorly maintained when it broadcasts from the Bell central office in suburban Hamilton? "

I bet there's no one on site who knows anything about tv transmitters. Likely needs a field visit from someone in Toronto. Being a big company, Bell probably has a bureaucracy about such things. It might even have to wait until something more pressing requires a visit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Everyone, I just joined this site because I found a discussion regarding CHCJ-DT. I'm an Etobicoke resident and according to RabbitEars.Info Signal analysis we should be able to receive this station on RF channel 35. Unfortunately I have never had any success even though I'm able to receive both CITS and CHCH. I've tried 3 different antennas all aligned to 217 degrees (magnetic) and can't receive a thing, not even the call sign. My question, notwithstanding the current problems, has anyone in Toronto ever been able to receive this station?
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Tony, in addition to lower power as dsspredator mentions, both CHCH and CITS are on that tall tower in Stoney Creek (481 First Road West - interesting side note, that was the tallest structure in the entire British commonwealth in the early/mid 1960s). CHCJ is broadcast from what is not much more than a cell phone tower. I can get it from my location south of Bloor between Islington and Royal York but only if I aim my antenna right at 628 Upper Wentworth Street (see your favourite maps application to see what I'm talking about).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks so much to both of you. I wasn't expecting such a speedy reply. @ El Gran Chico, Its really encouraging to know that it is possible to pull it in. I had a look at the tower and yes it's not very high at all. This made me rerun a Signal analysis on TVFool. It seems that the antenna needs to be raised to approx 20ft to insure LOS reception, otherwise it's dependant on refraction, which could be my problem. I'll give that a try and report back. thx again

1601 - 1620 of 1650 Posts