Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1501 - 1520 of 1550 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I think the Brighton and Oshawa transmitters are supposed to be covered by adding CHEX-2 and CKWS subchannels to CHEX in Peterborough, Prescott to Global Ottawa, and Bancroft to CKWS Kingston,. See CRTC application https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/DocWebBroker/OpenDocument.aspx?AppNo=2019-1124-8

I don't think it has been approved yet. The whole thing of multi-casting the same network just to have different ads and different local news, but nothing else, is a bit strange.

In the States, when this has been done, the subchannel (for example, ex-NBC WNNE Hartford sharing on WPTZ Mt Mansfield) has changed network affiliations.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Stations are no longer testing, but CKWS Brighton still off air. Perhaps they wil come back, but who knows because in another month they will be up against their transition date. Though in Canada It seems that doesn’t always matter.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Haven't had time to look at the CN tower until now...
From just south of Buffalo.
ch 18: -56 dBm, 24 dB, all null packets.
ch 26: -57 dBm, 25 dB, cjmt, tsid 0x0001

earlier in the day saw ch 18 decoded to CITY, also tsid 0x0001

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
CKWS-dt1 Brighton now broadcasting on RF23
Yeah, I was pretty sure the CKWS-DT-1 transmitter was staying on air. I believe the ones that are going are.

CKWS-DT-2 Prescott
CKWS-TV-3 Smiths Falls (This one might actually already be gone as it was listed in the previous transmitters to shut down).
CIII-TV-2 Bancroft
CIII-DT-27 Peterborough (I think the transmitter is closer to Cobourg

I believe the plan is that CHEX-DT, CKWS-DT will carry Global Toronto on a sub-channel and CIII-DT-6 in Ottawa will carry Global Kingston on a sub-channel. I don't recall if the CKWS transmitter in Brighton will carry Global Toronto.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
From just south of Buffalo.
ch 18: -56 dBm, 24 dB, all null packets.
ch 26: -57 dBm, 25 dB, cjmt, tsid 0x0001
I don't have equipment like you but I found this weird (using a brand new Sony TV).

18-1 was 76/100 on the signal meter and only 15 dB.
26-1 was 66/100 on the signal meter but 31+ dB.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
That IS wierd...
So the sony TV is providing a linear set of numbers 76/100 as well as the 15 dB ??
If so is the 15 dB watchable now that the have the test message up?

·
Registered
595 Posts
That IS wierd...
So the sony TV is providing a linear set of numbers 76/100 as well as the 15 dB ??
If so is the 15 dB watchable now that the have the test message up?
Signal on all three is strong here in Kitchener, all resolving and most showing 22-30dB on my year old Samsung. They do have their moments where they go dark, might be part of the testing, could also be tropo, Cleveland is strong and picking up WNEP Scranton on rf50.

·
Registered
456 Posts
They must of already bought the equipment or just modified the equipment cheaply.
Otherwise they probably would of just shutdown immediately.

WNEP is still on RF50???
I thought they would of moved by now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't have equipment like you but I found this weird (using a brand new Sony TV).

18-1 was 76/100 on the signal meter and only 15 dB.
26-1 was 66/100 on the signal meter but 31+ dB.
I saw similar on my Sony on Wednesday night, City-18 was coming in at around 15db (which is usually right around the cliff), high signal in the 80s though but no dropouts/pixelation on screen. Omni-26 and 30 were both more normal in the mid-20s db range.

Last night and this morning, City-18 has been much better though: 25-26db, 100 on the signal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
New Omni’s on 26 and 30 are now showing proper content and are remapping to their virtual channels at 40.1 and 47.1

City-18 still showing test screen for now

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
CFMT RF 30 is much stronger than 47.
Same for CJMT RF 26 is better than 40.

I am 50 km from CN Tower with DB4e facing WGRZ.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think they figure CHEX will cover Brighton area when they shutdown CKWS-dt1.
Funny thing is CHEX is very weak for me and it’s only 34 miles away. Must be the hills to the north of me. The transmitter in Cobourg on rf27 is a far superior signal to rf12. It truly fills the gap between Kingston and Toronto and blankets Peterborough.

It’s hard for me to make judgment on new signals from Toronto. I get such heavy co-channel interference from Syracuse during typical summer tropo.
RF17-20 all are strongly affected. And RF36 WSPX kills WNLO Buffalo. Surprised they are allowed to coexist. Both put out strong signals only 190km apart.
Remember Toronto’s current Omnis city and global are all at reduced power and have been for many months broadcasting from First Canadian Place not the CN tower.
So you should ask yourself are the new signals better than the old signals from many months ago, not the reduced power ones currently operating.
City should be the one that improves the most though.
Still waiting on rf17.

·
Registered
704 Posts
This is what happens when their are so few RF channels left. The bigger cities get a strong signal, but in-between you get nothing because of co-channel RF

·
Registered
119 Posts
CHCH is missing the on air programming info again. It's been gone for about a week now. It was working well for quite a while then it just disappeared. I don't know what's so darn hard about keeping this thing working?

1501 - 1520 of 1550 Posts