Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1444 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
To confirm, the US digital transition (analog cutoff) has yet again been delayed until June 12, 2009. Although stations can apply to shut off analog, it does not appear any of the Detroit or Toledo stations will be doing that. In other words, both analog and digital in Detroit & Toledo should be on the air until at least 6/12/09.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Detroit Over-the-air Digital TV HDTV:
Digital Channel Number, (Analog Channel Number), Network Affiliation, Call Letters
HD Format, Subchannels if any
Dolby Digital Capability
Local HD Origination and Syndicated HD Programs

14 (50) The CW WKBD-DT
- 1 1080i HDTV
DD5.1
Syndicated HD - Two And A Half Men, Everybody Loves Raymond, Legend of the Seeker

21 (20) My Network TV WMYD-DT
- 1 720p HDTV
- 2 480i analog mirror
DD2.0

41 (7) ABC WXYZ-DT
- 1 720p HDTV
- 2 480i RTN Retro TV ( http://www.retrotelevision.net/index2.html )
- 3 480i Doppler 7 Weather
DD5.1
Local HD News, syndicated HD - Oprah, Entertainment Tonight, Boston Legal, Desperate Housewives, local HD specials; Dream Cruise

43 (56) PBS WTVS-DT
- 1 1080i
- 2 480i 16:9 PBS Satellite Service
- 3 480i PBS Create
DD2.0

44 (62) CBS WWJ-DT
- 1 1080i HDTV
DD5.1
Syndicated HD - CSI: Miami, CSI: NY, Dr. Phil, The Insider, local HD specials; Building Bridges: From the Great Lakes to the Great Wall

45 (4) NBC WDIV-DT
- 1 1080i HDTV
- 2 480i This TV ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_TV )
DD5.1
Local HD News, syndicated HD - Jeopardy, Wheel Of Fortune, Ellen, local HD specials; Auto Show Preview

58 (2) FOX WJBK-DT
(Please note WJBK-DT's digital channel, now UHF 58, will switch to VHF 7 at the analog cutoff date 2/17/09)
- 1 720p HDTV
- 2 480i analog mirror
DD5.1
Local HD News

Over-the-air Digital TV Non-HDTV
39 (38) The Word, WADL-DT, 2 subchannels, both 480i, no HDTV
33 (31) Ion TV, WPXD-DT, 4 subchannels, all 480i, no HDTV. Ion TV will begin HD Q1 2009, it's expected WPXD will participate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Analog shut-off.

According to banners (or crawls) I've been seeing on their respective stations, channels 20,30 & 31 are shutting off their analogs on Feb.18/09 (except 20 has a nite lite condition). I wonder if 31 will be switching to 19 at this time. Only 2 days to wait and find out.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Detroit area DTV changes:

- WMYD-TV analog channel 20 has halted regular programming, and is now running a DTV public service announcement. It informs viewers that regular programming is now available on digital channel 21-1, and gives basic info on how to receive DTV.

WMYD-DT digital channel 21 is fully functional (and has been for years) with two subchannels; 21-1 is the main HD subchannel and 21-2 is an SD subchannel. Both have the exact same programming at this time.

- WPXD-TV analog channel 31 is off the air.

WPXD-DT switched from digital channel 33 to digital channel 31, and is fully functional with four 480i SD subchannels; 31-1 ION TV, 31-2 qubo, 31-3 ION Life, 31-4 Worship. They will convert 31-1 to 720p HDTV on March 16, 2009.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Feb18:

Apparently, WSEE (CBS, 16.1 or 35.1) was the only Erie, PA OTA channel that went digital overnight last night. I tested for the Erie, PA OTA channels again this evening... result: nothing on channels 16.1 or 35.1 here in London! :(

I can still pickup WICU (NBC, 12) and WJET (ABC, 24) by pointing my 4-bay bowtie antenna SE or SSE in the attic. Both of these stations still come in snowy (perhaps a preamp will help though) - the audio is fine.

I still cannot pickup WFXP, WSEE, or WQLN from Erie. Since not all Erie, PA stations are at full-power until June 12th, I guess I'll retest then.

I thought WICU and WJET from Erie went digital OTA already.... so I'm not sure why they are still received here in analog.

hsplrguy, my 4-bay bowtie antenna was constucted with the information provided in the forums here at Digitalhome. I will see if I can post a picture of my antenna for you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
BCF, WICU is still boardcasting in analog. I think the other 4 stations are all in Digital.
My understanding of DTV. If you get it. It comes in clear.
I agree WICU is still broadcasting in analog, along with WJET.
Unfortunately, I still cannot pickup the other 3 (WFXP, WQLN, and WSEE) Erie, PA channels. :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
WPXD digital

Apparently, WPXD is digital on 31 instead of 33 now (according to Ken H). My rabbit ears (no uhf loop) can't get it either, although I could get the analog before. Looks like we'll have to wait for their changeover to ch.19 on ch.50's tower, that should put them back in the game for us.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Channel 31

CITY-TV-31? that's from just south of Woodstock... you must be near Thamesville or somewhere around there to have both interfere, as WPXD is located between Ann Arbor and Lansing....

as for which channel it's on... wikipedia states it's moved to 19, but now interferes with WTVG's digital signal (also on 19) and a PBS station from Saginaw/Flint (analog 19). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPXD - they haven't moved to WKBD's tower yet... perhaps i should correct it and state they're on 31, or can anyone verify if they've indeed moved to 19?

·
Registered
260 Posts
CITY-TV-31? that's from just south of Woodstock... you must be near Thamesville or somewhere around there to have both interfere, as WPXD is located between Ann Arbor and Lansing....

as for which channel it's on... wikipedia states it's moved to 19, but now interferes with WTVG's digital signal (also on 19) and a PBS station from Saginaw/Flint (analog 19). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPXD - they haven't moved to WKBD's tower yet... perhaps i should correct it and state they're on 31, or can anyone verify if they've indeed moved to 19?
actually, i'm in london but in an apartment facing towards Michigan so the CityTV signal gets weakened coming through the building

·
Registered
47 Posts
("Ringtailed Fox" wrote: "as for which channel it's on... wikipedia states it's moved to 19, but now interferes with WTVG's digital signal (also on 19) and a PBS station from Saginaw/Flint (analog 19). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPXD - they haven't moved to WKBD's tower yet... perhaps i should correct it and state they're on 31, or can anyone verify if they've indeed moved to 19?")

No, and they will not for some time. Channel 19 is only a request WPXD has made to the FCC. Canada has to agree to any channel allocation near the border, and then WPXD can only -apply- for channel 19 after (if) the FCC allocates the channel.

What did happen on Feb 17/18 is that the digital signal on 33 signed off (as did the analog on 31). WPXD had planned to be full power digital on 31 on the 18th, but they had technical difficulties, and had an extremely weak signal, until it was fixed on the afternoon of the 20th (Friday).

Far SW Ontario viewers may have a better chance at WPXD-DT now that they are on channel 31. When they were on channel 33, they were getting interference from a low power analog station in Highland Park (W33BY, which is still on the air and now has much better coverage with no changes in their facilities).

If they do go to channel 19 from the WKBD tower (we're talking years), they will reach well into SW Ontario (e.g., Sarnia, Chatham-Kent, Leamington)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Looks like ch.20 (WMYD) is done their nite-lite.
Great. Now if we could start a phone and letter campaign to convince WJBK to move to channel 20 instead of channel 7. Every VHF station I know of (WVNY-DT 13 in Burlington, VT; WWNY-DT 7 in Watertown, NY; etc) has not lived up to its expectations and has been a nightmare even for local viewers to receive reliably.

Heck, it would give them an opportunity to brand itself as "Fox-two-oh". Sounds catchy doesn't it?

·
Registered
539 Posts
32 is used by CICO-TV-32 Mcgregor to cover Windsor, Leamington, and Essex County with a TVO signal. 33 is occupied by WPXD-DT in Ann Arbor (For now), and by W33BY-CA in Highland Park and Hamtramck(near downtown, receivable in windsor if you're REAL close to the river like i am). 25 might experience some interference from WEYI Flint's analog signal (which will shut down and remain on 30).

After August 31 of this year, the following frequencies will remain available within 120 miles/200 km of the Renaissance Center in Downtown Detroit:
02 - UNUSED, formerly WJBK Detroit (moving to 7), formerly WKYC-DT Cleveland (temoprary)
03 - UNUSED, formerly WKYC Cleveland (moving to 17)
04 - UNUSED, formerly WDIV Detroit (moving to 45)
05 - WLMB-DT Toledo, formerly WEWS Cleveland (moving to 15)
06 - UNUSED, formerly WLNS Lansing (moving to 36)
07 - UNUSED, formerly WXYZ Detroit (moving to 41)
08 - WJW-DT Cleveland
09 - CBET-TV Windsor
10 - WILX-DT Lansing, WOIO-DT Cleveland
11 - UNUSED, formerly WTOL Toledo (moving to 17)
12 - WJRT-DT Flint
13 - WTVG-DT Toledo
14 - WKBD-DT Detroit
15 - UNUSED
16 - formerly CHWI-TV Wheatley (odds of it being shut down are 90%...)
17 - formerly WTOL-DT Toledo and WKYC-DT Cleveland
18 - WDWO-CA DEtroit
19 - WPXD-DT Detroit (proposed), formerly WOIO-TV Cleveland
20 - UNUSED, formerly WMYD-TV Detroit
21 - WMYD-DT Detroit
22 - CIII-TV-22 Wheatley
23 - WUDT-CA
24 - Formerly WNWO-TV Toledo (moving to 49)
25 - UNUSED, formerly WEYI Flint (moving to 30)
26 - WLPC-LP Detroit
27 - WBGU-DT Bowling Green, OH
28 - WFUM-DT Flint
29 - WGTE-DT Toledo
30 - UNUSED, formerly WGTE-TV Toledo
31 - WPXD-DT (low-power in Ann Arbor, proposing to use 19 in Detroit)
32 - CICO-TV-32 McGregor/Windsor
33 - W33BY-CA Detroit
34 - CFTV-TV Leamington
35 - RESERVED for CBET-DT
36 - UNUSED, formerly WUPW-TV Toledo (moving to 46), formerly WJRT-DT (moving back to 12)
37 - RESERVED FOR RADIO ASTRONOMY
38 - UNUSED, formerly WADL-TV Mt. Clemens/Detroit
39 - WADL-DT Mt. Clemens/Detroit
40 - UNUSED (Formerly WLMB-TV Toledo)
41 - WXYZ-DT
42 - CKCO-TV-3 Sarnia/Oil Springs
43 - WTVS-DT Detroit, formerly WUAB-TV Cleveland
44 - WWJ-DT Detroit
45 - WDIV-DT Detroit
46 - WBSF-DT Flint
47 - UNUSED
48 - W48AV St. Clair Shores/Detroit (repeating WPXD-DT), WMNT-CA Toledo
49 - WNWO-DT Toledo
50 - UNUSED, formerly WKBD-TV Detroit
51 - UNUSED
---------------------------------------------------------
Stations above 52 will no longer be used in the United states, but will remain in use in Canada for the forseeable future.
52 - UNUSED
53 - UNUSED
54 - CBEFT Windsor
55 - UNUSED, formerly WBNX Cleveland
56 - UNUSED, formerly WTVS Detroit
57 - UNUSED
58 - WMNT-DC Toledo, formerly WJBK-DT Detroit
59 - CICO-TV-59 Chatham
60 - UNUSED, formerly CHWI-TV-60 Windsor (90% chance of shuttering)
61 - UNUSED, formerly WHQS Cleveland
62 - UNUSED, formerly WWJ-TV
63 - RESERVED FOR NON-BROADCAST
64 - UNUSED
65 - RESERVED FOR CHWI-DT-65 Windsor
66 - UNUSED, formerly W66BV Detroit, RESERVED for CHWI-DT Wheatley
67 - UNUSED
68 - UNUSED, formerly WSMH Flint
69 - RESERVED for CBEFT-DT

On a related note.. one of my TV's recieves PSIP data for WMYD and redirects 20 to 20.1 (on channel 21), while my other TV recieves NO PSIP data on channels 20 or 21, and i have to manually type in 21 or 21-1 to get WMYD's broadcasts...i wonder what would cause this.....

Actually, VHF-Low (channels 2-6) tend to experience HIGHER levels of interference, particularly during solar activity (sun spots, solar flares, coronal mass ejections..), but yes, they do require less power to cover the same area as UHF (lower frequency means less power to pump out a frequency than say, something higher up)...

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I mentioned channel 20 because that was their second choice. When they filed for their post-transition channel, they requested channel 7 as a first choice and channel 20 as a second choice.

All VHF stations east of the Mississippi are limited to 15kw on VHF, laughably inadequate regardless of what their so-called engineers claim.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
All VHF stations east of the Mississippi are limited to 15kw on VHF, laughably inadequate regardless of what their so-called engineers claim.
Not true. I'm pretty sure the limit for VHF High in the east is something like 50 kW at 300m EHAAT. (It might be slightly less but: WMTW-DT ch. 8 in Maine has something like 30 kW, WWNY-DT in upstate NY is allocated 42 kW (currently licensed for 24kW), and there are many more.

The 15 kW maximum for WVNY-DT on Mt Mansfield is partially because its EHAAT is over 800m.

·
Registered
539 Posts
looks like the FCC's revised its digital television ERP limitations as well... instead of being 20% of 325 kW for VHF Low (2-6) and VHF High (7-13), it's now on a "sliding scale" based on transmitter height above average terrain. Rather than be limited to 65 kW, they're giving the stations on those frequencies a bit more breathing room. For those that are curious, there's no "VHF Mid/Medium" in television... because that is the FM Radio band (between channels 6 and 7). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_broadcast_station_classes#TV

81 - 100 of 1444 Posts