Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

841 - 860 of 860 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
In Coquitlam I am getting between 3 and 4 bars, but the signal is steady. Time is 7:40 pm 21st of September.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I changed tv's a little while ago so I don't know how accurate this is, but it does seem a little weaker now. I think I used to get closer to 6 bars on the old tv but the signal in both cases was steady nearly all the time, I just checked the signal tonight (Sunday) at 8:10 and I have a solid 4 bars right now. Weather does effect my signal strength, I sometimes have to reposition my Terk HDa for KBTC (PBS rebroadcaster from Bellingham) during some weather conditions-same for Check 6- which has become a little weaker here when some of the new high rises went up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Getting KVOS at around 30% signal strength here in Delta. It's usually around 70% for me, but suddenly dropped sometime around the 13th of September.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Understood. I have written a few emails to the parent company, so hopefully will hear back soon.

For the record, I have made no changes to my set up in months and KVOS and its substations went from being my strongest station down to where I can bearely get them, and even then badly pixelized. No other station have changed.

I will try to make time to reposition my antenna in the next week or two.

Keith R

·
Registered
334 Posts
KVOS is probably on its interim antenna at reduced power while it replaces its top-mount for the repack. It is in Phase 7 along with the other Seattle stations, which will transition some time between 12:01AM on October 19 and 11:59PM on January 17.

KIRO has announced, and KOMO/KUNS have indicated in STA filings with the FCC, that they will transition on October 19. I've not heard dates for any of the other Seattle stations as of yet.

- Trip

·
Registered
282 Posts
Understood. I have written a few emails to the parent company, so hopefully will hear back soon.

For the record, I have made no changes to my set up in months and KVOS and its substations went from being my strongest station down to where I can bearely get them, and even then badly pixelized. No other station have changed.

I will try to make time to reposition my antenna in the next week or two.

Keith R
And I have a response. Here you go:

Seattle over the air viewers may be experiencing disruptions in service due to ongoing transmitter work for many Washington state stations. Starting October 19, 2019 a rescan of over the air signals should lead to improved over the air reception. You will be notified once this transmitter work is completed. Cable and satellite viewers are not impacted.

Does not give a date of when signal strength will be restored to KVOS but this may explain why KVOS (and other state side stations) may have transmission issues.

Keith R

·
Registered
826 Posts
Thanks to all the people who looked into this. I did a re-scan and have all the KVOS channels back at 5 bars. I'm running Windows Media Center on Windows 10. Just one curious thing about the physical channels. 12.1 is on 35 while the other sub-channels are on 13.

35.1 maps to 12.1 - KVOSDT Heroes & Icons (Canadian Feed) - H&I
14.2 maps to 12.2 - KVOS Movies! - MOVIES!
14.3 maps to 12.3 - KVOS MeTV - MeTV - E
14.4 maps to 12.4 - KVOS Decades - DECADES
14.5 maps to 12.5 - KVOSDT Start TV - STARTTV - E

·
Registered
282 Posts
That is odd.

I just checked my channel 12.1 (H&I) and it is definitely coming through on RC14 for me. Do you have another TV you could try?

Keith R

·
Registered
826 Posts
You are absolutely correct. I forgot that Windows Media Center will save all the sources it ever used. I have 4 sources on RC14.1 and another 4 on RC35.1. Time to do some housekeeping. Checked with my TV and they are all on physical channel 14.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Seattle UHF Repack

The October 2019 Seattle UHF repack has been an overall positive at my Burnaby BC location. Two channels (30 KOMO and 25 KING) have been coming in rock solid 24/7 including heavy rain, and 23 KIRO now comes in stronger with less dropoff. KUNS 24 was reliable about 14-16 hours each day, but CHNU is now running a test pattern on this same channel, which completely wipes out KUNS. :frown

Still waiting for KZJO to boosts its transmitter from the temporary 115 KW assignment to the permanent 1000 KW level, to see how that channel plays out.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was getting KOMO (30) fairly reliably but now it's sporadic, just below reception range. And KONG (31) is only there rarely. Even tweaking the direction of the antenna on that channel makes no difference. I do get KFFV (44) as a new channel and I was wondering what happened to KUNS on 50.
DB8e roof mounted with a rotator in Ladner BC

841 - 860 of 860 Posts