Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 2879 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
This has happened a number of times this summer, late at night typically starting around 1am. I expect this won't be the last.

All the FM stations were down and/or reduced power as well.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder if it's because they are adding new transmission antennas for CTV. They may need to shutdown the current broadcasts due to dangerous radiation levels to the people installing the new antennas.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
We've been seeing a lot of this lately — applications that haven't yet been made public but that have apparently been approved by the CRTC. A lot of them are like CIII-6 — digital flash-cut stations.

·
Registered
116 Posts
All the channels from Camp Fortune are down (maintenance?). Getting great reception of 3.1 WCAX from Vermont on uhf 22
Gerry's reception of WCAX intrigues me. Raises a couple of questions

When Omni1 stops broadcasting in analog will they be staying on 66 or revert back to 14. If 14 is not used locally, perhaps there would be chance to receive NBC (WPTZ)? A channel 14 single cut antenna wont be so big!

Secondly I figure this was discussed before - and I don't believe in conspiracies but it appears that the CRTC/Rogers constantly makes all channel decisions which limit our receptions of US networks. ie if 22 was free reception of WCAX might be easier than TVFOOL indicates. Mount Mansfield is quite the hill. Just wondering who first allocated channels 22 and 14 in our area? The CRTC or FCC?

·
Registered
246 Posts
We've been seeing a lot of this lately — applications that haven't yet been made public but that have apparently been approved by the CRTC. A lot of them are like CIII-6 — digital flash-cut stations.
Stampeder's new list of currently operational stations (http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblanc/Canada_TV_Stations/DT.html) describes AP as "License Application To CRTC Is Presently Under Consideration". This makes more sense -- it could be that the CRTC has received their application but just hasn't made it public for the comment period yet. I take the appearance of this entry to mean that Global plans to stay on channel 6. Good thing I got myself an FM trap! :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Secondly I figure this was discussed before - and I don't believe in conspiracies but it appears that the CRTC/Rogers constantly makes all channel decisions which limit our receptions of US networks. ie if 22 was free reception of WCAX might be easier than TVFOOL indicates. Mount Mansfield is quite the hill. Just wondering who first allocated channels 22 and 14 in our area? The CRTC or FCC?
22 will be CHCH. Rather have Mount Mansfield. I did get WCAX on 53 a few times, when it had limited power. All channels conflict: 13,14,22,43...

CRTC people in Ottawa(Gatineau) have never used any antennas at home other than rabbit ears.

-gmd

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Global CIII Paris-DT 6

Noticed its for 4000 watts or 4% of the current analog power.I thought Global is supposed to match their existing coverage area? 4kw will not.

·
Registered
325 Posts
When I was picking up WCAX it was 1:30 in the morning with probably good tropo. My WCFE reception was about the same rf level as CBOT at the time. However, when channel 22 was WVNY analog I used to be able to get the signal regularly in Ottawa

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Noticed its for 4000 watts or 4% of the current analog power.I thought Global is supposed to match their existing coverage area? 4kw will not.
Well 12-13dB down or 5% is what was generally considered to be what was needed to get equivalent coverage between analog and digital transmission.

However,AFAIK, real world practice has shown this not to be the case for VHF stations, and particularly not for VHF lo stations and especially channel 6.
Channel 6 analog today at 50 kW is diificult to get without an FM trap because of all the FM broadcast interference.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
That sucks. I was hoping CTV would cut to digital sooner. How do these networks do their tests if they are simply flash cutting on a set date. It seems to make more sense if CTV broadcast digital on a different frequency but use 13.1 as their shortcut. Then when they let go of 13 analogue, flash cut to 13.

·
Registered
116 Posts
For those wondering if we will be able to receive WNYF-LP South Coulton in Ottawa, we may know soon.

In case it wasn't on this thread before, looks like the work started on July 30th and Jim Corbin estimates it will take 30 days.

http://dtvtransition.blogspot.com/2010/06/transition-update-wnyf-lp-still.html

Reading between the lines of his comment
"As was the case with analog...the signal can and will travel beyond the coverage map"
I optimistically read that Ottawa reception will be possible.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
There's now an extra entry for CIII-DT-6 in Industry Canada's database showing a status of "AP" (Approved By CRTC). See stampeder's table:
Looking through the other stations with the same status, I suspect this is a glitch in the IC database. The CRTC wouldn't approve an application like this without even publishing the application for comment. And given Global TV's state of flux right now, with the offer to buy them by Shaw not yet approved by the CRTC, I doubt if they will be making any such applications yet.

Global apparently has classified Ottawa as a "small market" so there is a very strong possibility that Global TV will go off air (at least temporarily) here come August 31, 2011. Only time will tell though.

1041 - 1060 of 2879 Posts