Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 2862 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Update

DaveM said:
I just did a scan to see if anything new showed up on my DTV receiver, and both channel 22 (CBOFT) and channel 25 (CBOT) have test patterns up! Counting the days until we have real HDTV programming being broadcast locally in Ottawa...

Dave
What can I say....

Finally Ottawa may finally reach the OTA digital world!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
In Vancouver CBC-HD had a 1-800 number on the screen during the 3 week test period. Is that showing up on Ottawa CBC-HD's test pattern?

Also, my French-speaking skills are very rusty, so I'm wondering if someone can update the French forum about SRC-HD in Ottawa?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, the 1-800 number appears on both channels. The CBOT-DT (English) test card is a SMPTE test pattern with a white morphing cloud-thing and the CBC logo in the middle, "CBOT-DT Tranmitter Test" across the top, and the 1-800 phone number in the bottom right corner.

The SRC-DT test card is quite different. Red background with white text alternating French/English every few seconds that mentions Radio Canada High Definition Television French Service (CBOFT-DT) and that its broadcasting from Camp Fortune on UHF 22. Both have a 1 kHz tone as well.

I'll see what I can scrape together for the French forum.

Dave

·
Registered
805 Posts
This is bizarre, I see nothing on 22. The tuner does say "success"...

-gmd

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
DaveM said:
Yes, the 1-800 number appears on both channels. The CBOT-DT (English) test card is a SMPTE test pattern with a white morphing cloud-thing and the CBC logo in the middle, "CBOT-DT Tranmitter Test" across the top, and the 1-800 phone number in the bottom right corner.
So they're using the same one as Vancouver for CBC-HD:

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=321635&postcount=10

Could someone please post a photo of the SRC-HD screen(s) and maybe some pics showing your tuner's strength and info screens for both CBC-HD and SRC-HD too?

·
Registered
805 Posts
On CBOT-DT, picture is identical to CBUT-DT's (same phone number?) and program information shows up.

stampeder said:
You're just not getting a "lock". If the signal strength seems high, you might have a multipathing issue.
Sometimes I get no signal whatsoever; other times, it reports success but no channel gets added to the list.

-gmd

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
gmd said:
Sometimes I get no signal whatsoever; other times, it reports success but no channel gets added to the list.
What is your OTA gear like, and are there big trees or anything else between you and the transmitter? You've been waiting a long time for this, so let's get it debugged! :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
stampeder said:
What is your OTA gear like, and are there big trees or anything else between you and the transmitter? You've been waiting a long time for this, so let's get it debugged! :)
The tower is 14.56 miles away. Using GPS values in Google Maps, I can see that between my house (Blackburn Hamlet, higher) and the tower, there's a section of Montreal road (lower), Vanier (?), the Ottawa and Gatineau rivers, highways 50 and 5 and Gatineau Park.

CBOT-DT comes in at 65% (quality is 100%) if antenna is pointing at or away from tower; don't know what is it elsewhere on the dial.

(I can get WNPI and WCFE to be at 100%, 100% and 75% of the time, respectively)

I'm 15.29 miles from the Manotick tower.

-gmd

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
You mentioned a yagi antenna in an earlier post, gmd. Is that what you're using? What model is it, and are you preamping it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
stampeder said:
You're just not getting a "lock". If the signal strength seems high, you might have a multipathing issue.
I think it's something else, maybe PID related. I have two receivers, a Samsung SIR-T451 that I picked up in Syracuse recently, and my BEV 6000 receiver with OTA module. The 451 picks up 22 fine, and reports it as 22-1 (rather than the 9-1 that it should be). The BEV receiver shows about 60% signal strength and the bar turns green (indicating DTV detection) but no "channel number" comes up. If I try to save this channel, it doesn't show up in my guide. I have a feeling they're not transmitting a proper PID.

gmd: what receiver are you using?

·
Registered
805 Posts
The BEV receiver shows about 60% signal strength and the bar turns green (indicating DTV detection) but no "channel number" comes up. If I try to save this channel, it doesn't show up in my guide.
It does exactly what your BEV 6000 does.

For CBOT-DT, sometimes when I flip through the channels, it shows "bad signal" and 2 seconds later the channel appears (never seen this on other channels).

gmd: what receiver are you using?
Motorola HDT100.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/support/faqs/hdt100_faq.asp

-gmd

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
If the teething problems we experienced in Connecticut are any indication, the CBC is going to have their hands full working out the bugs of their digital transmissions: The CBC and SRC transmitters, from what I understand, are on the Camp Fortune tower, not the Manotick tower, and are supposed to be VERY powerful, although they may be bringing the power up gradually as they work out the bugs. I am headed up to Ottawa in a couple of weeks, and I am going to bring my DTV tuner with me to see how things look. Since I am in a condo in the Byward Market, on the 12th floor, I have no outdoor antenna to play with, I am going to use a Radio Shack double-bow-tie ubndoor antenna, and see what comes in...

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
tigerbangs said:
If the teething problems we experienced in Connecticut are any indication, the CBC is going to have their hands full working out the bugs of their digital transmissions
Hi Chip, as far as I know CBC-HD is running everything remotely from Toronto and they've already brought up Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver from there so I'm hoping this startup will go smoothly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
The issues with glitches in HD broadcasting seem to be at the transmitting end: faulty PSIP information, dropped carriers and the like. It's all still a new technology, and I'm sure that they are going to have some shakedown issues. Unlike the US OTA broadcasters, however, it looks like CBC and SRC are sending down a dedicated HD channel, rather than switching between HD and SD as most US local broadcasters do. I also have to wonder if any of the Sparks Street CBC studios in Ottawa are HD capable: it would be cool to see locally produced HDTV material in Ottawa

81 - 100 of 2862 Posts