Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 2879 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Jake said:
Using Roger's numbers and the lat/long in the URL (plus the lat/long of Canal/Bank St.) it is telling me you would have to have your antenna at about 450 ft above sea level to clear the hills to the south. I took into account the curvature of the earth and atmospheric refraction. That is not to say you will not get a signal at a lower elevation though. You just will not get a direct signal.
450 ft above sea level??? If you consider that Marc said that his house is 192 ft above sea level that means he would need an antenna that is 258 ft high (or about 230 ft if he put it on his roof). I am not sure if his neighours would appreciate the asthetics of such an antenna.

He will probably have a better chance of picking up WCFE-DT[38] from Plattsburgh when it goes full power. The tower is 737.0 m above average terrain and it is at an elevation of 3676 ft above sea level. In good weather I can pick up WCFE-TV[57] in Stittsville and I am even further away and don't have a very good antenna for deep fringe reception.

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
I assumed when I mentioned the tower height you would immediately realize it is out of reach. :p I admire your determination though.

Plus my software is only a starting point. I don't know enough about specific 'ground effects' and multipath at those frequencies to say whether the numbers are realistic. I suspect they are close enough.

·
Registered
805 Posts
He will probably have a better chance of picking up WCFE-DT[38] from Plattsburgh when it goes full power.
You mean it's not full power? (huh???)

BTW, HD w/5.1 sure looked nice yesterday. Can't wait for the transition to take place.

I hope together we figure it out and why you don't get it. These elevation maps sure look neat!

-gmd

·
Registered
52 Posts
more kw needed

If WCFE is broadcasting at 100kw, how come WNPI is only at 40kw? That's if I'm readying the database charts well (I'm a newbie with all this, in case anyone noticed before.)

As for me it does not seem to matter, because I'm unable to get any of these two stations' analog or digital channel. Maybe if they broadcasted higher watts? I just do not know if that would make any difference since I'm so far north, in a deep valley near the Ottawa River. (191ft see level)

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
yipikyer said:
WCFE 38 is at 100kW. It's not gonna have more power.
According to w9wi.com WCFE only has a "Construction Permit" to broadcast at 100kW and aren't yet licenced to actually broadcast. If you are receiving a signal, this information must be out of date.

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
The software is Global Mapper. You can get US and Canadian digital elevation maps freely from the respective government website. GM runs in trial mode so you can only load 4 layers at a time. I just started using it myself and discovered it has a Transmitter Line of Sight Tool. Basically, you enter the lat/long of the transmitter plus height of tower and it will generate a coverage map using the supplied DEMs.

I wanted to point out that many of the transmitters mentioned in this thread are directional so power is not going to help you if it directed to the south. Stampeder I recall a website that showed the various lobes for each transmitter. Do you remember it?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
FCC TV Query site: tv station database

The FCC uses that Tiger database tool for their own purposes too. I find it really slow.

Here's the official FCC way to get more specific station info, including contour maps:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/tvq.html

Hint: you don't need to fill in all the blanks. You can just put the call sign letters in. Entering WCFE led me to this map:

Note that the map does not give the absolute finite coverage area of the station. It gives a specific expected range at a specific strength (in this case 41dBu) so the actual range is much further. Basically any tv receiver within the circled area should get a clear and reliable signal assuming all is set up properly.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
stampeder said:
Based on where you are and your current reception of CBOT, any predictions on what reception of CBOT-DT will be like for your location?
Probably CICO-TV-24 (TVO) is the best station to predict reception of either CBOT-DT or CBOFT-DT as they are close to the same frequency and are broadcast from the same tower.

Regardless, I suspect I won't have any troubles at all as both CBOT and TVO come in well, even with rabbit ears.

·
Registered
805 Posts
WWTI-DT from Ottawa?

My receiver registered WWTI-DT (50-01) on channel 21 last night, but I didn't get to see the channel.

I think it wouldn't take much for the Watertown stations to be freely available to Ottawa, if they wanted/could.

Ottawa is the 4th DMA in Canada, while Watertown is like #178 or #182 depending on the year... Extra revenues from publicity would be welcomed, I would think.

What could help? Convince *one* of the channels (and let the other ones follow)?

-gmd

·
Registered
15 Posts
CBOT-DT and CBOFT-DT transmitters up!

I just did a scan to see if anything new showed up on my DTV receiver, and both channel 22 (CBOFT) and channel 25 (CBOT) have test patterns up! Counting the days until we have real HDTV programming being broadcast locally in Ottawa...

Dave

·
Registered
805 Posts
I guess gone are the days of getting WWNY (22).

I hope CBOFT-DT (22) does not affect the reception of WNPI-DT (23) and my chances of one day getting WWTI-DT (21).

You can be sure that I will check that out this afternoon!

-gmd

·
Registered
15 Posts
gmd said:
I guess gone are the days of getting WWNY (22).
I think you mean WVNY, and yup, it sure looks that way. And wouldn't you know it, WVNY's DT channel is 13, so we won't be getting that for a long time either (until CJOH shuts down their analog transmitter at least).

gmd said:
I hope CBOFT-DT (22) does not affect the reception of WNPI-DT (23) and my chances of one day getting WWTI-DT (21).
-gmd
WNPI-DT was coming in fine yesterday, wedged between the new CBOFT-DT and TVO (24). Somehow adjacent channel interference doesn't seem to be as big an issue with DTV. I'm going to bring a spectrum analyzer home one day soon and see how busy that part of the spectrum looks now. I'll post any interesting findings.

Dave

61 - 80 of 2879 Posts