Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2862 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
TV5... not! Missing stations: CHOT, CFGS, Télé-Québec, ...

when did CDTV go off?

-gmd

·
Banned
140 Posts
I'm having a little trouble deciphering what all these posts in this thread means. Do we have any OTA HDTV in Ottawa or not? Is this discussion talking about the first HDTV channels, or the first DTV channels?

·
Registered
805 Posts
henning said:
I'm having a little trouble deciphering what all these posts in this thread means. Do we have any OTA HDTV in Ottawa or not? Is this discussion talking about the first HDTV channels, or the first DTV channels?
There is no [H]DTV from Ottawa at this point. In Ottawa, you can get PBS Mountain Lake (channel 38/WCFE-DT: 57-01[PBS-HD], 57-02[analog channel in digital]), and Watertown's repeater in Norwood (channel 23/WNPI-DT: was 18-01 now 23-03).

-gmd

·
Registered
805 Posts
I take this back. Channel 67-1 was up last night, nice and clear! Wow, I wish all channels were like this.

-gmd

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
What's the closest you can be to Ottawa and still get the Syracuse DT stations (I was getting them with rabbit ears in the car on the 401 last summer, so I figure they could go pretty far with a decent setup)?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Anyone been able to pull in WFXV-DT (Fox Utica, NY) in the Ottawa area? I expect CBS and ABC from Watertown to be available, but the closest source for NBC and Fox appears to be Utica...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Future DT Channel Slots in Ottawa

Given the following:

Plattsburgh (Coming soon or testing)

* WCFE-DT 38 - Mountain Lake (PBS) Currently on-air
* WPTZ-DT 14 (NBC) Target date: Summer 2006

Burlington (Coming soon or cable only)

* WVNY-DT 13 (ABC) Target date: Summer 2006
* WETK-DT 32 - VPT (PBS) Target date: Summer 2006
* WFFF-DT 43 (Fox, the WB) Target date: Summer 2006
* WCAX-DT 53 (CBS) Currently available via Adelphia HD Cable; OTA Target date: Summer 2006?

Saranac Lake:
WCWF-DT 40 (CW)

Now that channels are going to keep their DT allocated channel after the transition (except WCAX moving from out-of-core location 53 back to WVNY's current location, 22), there is no way that Ottawa will get more than WCFE and WCAX, unless Ottawa channels move too.

I know Canadian stations have temporary slots allocated, but are they going to move back to their analog slot after it's all done (like in 2015)?

-gmd

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Burlington will NOT be receivable in Ottawa. Not only would there be co-channel interference, the NY mountains block the UHF signals in that direction.

This is why I'm inquiring about Utica and Syracuse. Will it be possible to receive them with a decent setup?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Damn. Then what are NBC and Fox waiting for to find new affiliate stations in Watertown?

I might need to move to Ottawa and I can't go without OTA. Just seeing the Global TV billboards is bad enough. I don't need to start enduring their simsubs again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
foxfan said:
Damn. Then what are NBC and Fox waiting for to find new affiliate stations in Watertown?

I might need to move to Ottawa and I can't go without OTA. Just seeing the Global TV billboards is bad enough. I don't need to start enduring their simsubs again!

Fox has an affilate in Watertown, it is Low Power ch. 28. However it is carried on WWNY's CBS digital feed as a sub channel in SD only not HD. I think anyone would have a hard time pulling Watertown in from Ottawa, I am in Ogdensburg, NY and I have a large antenna and amp to get it. No NBC in Watertown and probably never. Cable in Northern NY either carries NBC from Syracuse or Plattsburg. OTA in St. Lawrence county for NBC comes from what the Ottawa stations carry.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I thought Watertown would be easy to receive in Ottawa. I was able to start pulling them in using rabbit ears in the car even 30 minutes east of Prescott (using a DC/AC car adapter to power my Samsung 151.

I knew there was a LP Fox affiliate in Watertown, but it is meaningless to me without going full-power HD.

I have a feeling Watertown 'might' get an NBC affiliate after the digital transition. The area currently receives NBC from Channel 5 (WPTZ) from Plattsburgh, but their digital transmitter will be in Vermont instead of NY, so thee signal will be lost west of the Adirondacks. Hopefully that will create demand for a full-power NBC station in Watertown.

If I end up moving to Ottawa I guess I'll have to go back to Starchoice...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I haven't seen it yet: what kind of programming is channel 67 (CDTV) running in Ottawa when it is up and running? Is it mostly HDTV show-off stuff, or are they actually running HDTV programming taken from elsewhere?

·
Registered
15 Posts
CDTV test channel in Ottawa

I've only ever seen the HDTV show-off stuff like a fly-over across Canada and some footage that looks like it's been borrowed from PBS. Since they're borrowing CITY's DTV channel, it would be nice if they switched over to CITY some time soon :)

I'm anxious to get something OTA other than the two PBS stations from upstate NY. Anyone heard an update about the transmitters that were rumoured to be headed to Ottawa this summer?

Dave

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
CBOT-DT plans

Check the CBC HD thread here at DHC to see what the latest info is on CBOT-DT's go-live date. CBC-staffer Marc lets us know as he finds these things out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ottawa/Watertown, NY: OTA Station Status/Changes/Updates

I'm in the same boat here is Stittsville. Even when I had a rotatable antenna, I got WVNY-22 much better and more regularily than WWTI-50. Besides distance, you have to take into account ERP (effective radiated power), transmitter antenna pattern, height of transmitter, and terrain in between you and the transmitter.

I'm in the process of getting SPLAT up and running on my PC. Anyone else played with this? It's a "Signal Propagation Loss And Terrain" analysis tool that takes all these into account. Haven't got it running yet, but the screen shots on the website look tantalizing.

Dave

gmd said:
Not usually. I get WVNY [22] 5 fimes more often and much clearer.

-gmd

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wwny Erp

Hi Roger, according to the FCC website, WWNY is still transmitting only 135 kW under the digital Special Temporary Authority, and they have a directional antenna with it's backside pointing at Ottawa. The ERP towards Ottawa is only around 30 kW right now which isn't a whole lot for that distance. On the other hand, WNPI-23DT transmits 40 kW omni and I get it clearly almost without exception (but it's a fair bit closer).

As far as I know, whenever I've been able to get WWNY-35DT, they've got CBS on 7-1 and FOX on 7-2.

Dave

roger1818 said:
I was just noticing this on WWNY's website and according to W9WI.com, WWNY-DT [35] is transmitting at 1000 kW (are they up to full power yet?) as compared to 316.0 kW for WWNY-TV [ 7]. Has anyone been able to pull this in from Ottawa? Are they always transmitting both CBS and FOX?

21 - 40 of 2862 Posts