Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1921 - 1940 of 3783 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Funny theory that could explain why CFCF might pushes it's OTA HD feed for the SuperBowl... From an old article (if still accurate) dated 2010 on Fagstein's blog we could read:

Watch WCAX-DT on Videotron Illico digital TV (Channel 653). Videotron has announced that it will leave the CBS station's HD feed untouched during the game, instead of replacing it with the equivalent CTV feed. It can do this because of two rules about simultaneous substitution: that the Canadian signal be of equal or superior quality to the U.S. one, and that the substitution happen in an area covered by the Canadian station's over-the-air signal. Because CFCF is not yet transmitting over the air in HD (it has an HD feed that it makes available to providers), Videotron is not obliged to replace WCAX's HD signal with either the standard definition or high definition feeds of CFCF. Note that this is only for people with HD service. WCAX's standard definition signal on Channel 53 will be replaced by CFCF on Illico.
Of course, CBS will not be the stations broadcasting, FOX will be. That might be the way to force their advertisers throught Videotron's (among other HD providers) viewers.
:D

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
CFCF-DT rumours and speculation

Let's please refrain from adding fuel to the fire re: rumours about CFCF and the possibility of a pre-transition DTV signal in Montreal.
To this point, the news has NOT been confirmed by a credible source from the station.
However, if someone receives confirmation from CFCF, CTV or some other credible source, please let us know.
Thanks for your understanding.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Interesting news. Thanks for sharing.
Just for argument's sake, what kind of coverage could people expect if DTV broadcasts were to originate from that tower? I'm thinking in terms of geographical obstructions and whatnot.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
CFCF-DT on Ch. 51 confirmed in IC database

Well I'll be darned!
According to Stampeder's mirror of the Industry Canada database, CFCF has been approved by the CRTC for DTV service on Channel 51.

Montrėal; AP; Ch. 51; CFCF-DT(1); 453012 lat; -733547 long; 196.0 m HAAT; 5500 watts max; 2700 watts avg.

The co-ordinates correspond with the communications tower adjacent to the Montreal police department building on Mount Royal — right in line what forum member L'inquisiteur reported a couple of posts earlier.
As for the "permanence" of the signal, we'll have to see if the accompanying tag changes from "AP" to either "TO" or "AU".
(In all honesty, I can't see CTV turning it off once it comes on.)

·
Registered
880 Posts
That is really interesting news. I as well would be very surprised if CFCF would turn their DT signal off after the Super Bowl game. I guess the simsub issues for them is greater than some would think. It's too bad those on cable will now be forced to see a simsub signal over WFFF-DT. But, thanks to OTA, I don't really care. I'll watch what I want.

I'm very close to the Mountain on the north side. And I should be able to get a signal when it turns on. So far, no signal on channel 51. Perhaps it'll light up a few days before the Super Bowl with Color Bars and the stations call letters. Also with a 2.7kw power output, it'll give us an idea of the strength of signal once CJNT-DT goes on air with 4kw on channel 49. I do expect though that CFCF-DT will remap as 12.1.

·
Registered
112 Posts
CIVM transmitter trouble? / Mount Royal update

I'm getting dropouts to 0% on CIVM.

I suspect transmitter issues there (CIVM) since I have a clear line of sight to the top of the Olympic Stadium.

Also, I've learned that the work on the Mont Royal transmitters (for CBMT and CBFT) is now pushed back to the April-May timeframe on account of excessive ground radiation from CBF-FM.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Keychaine, what is your source of information regarding icing on Mt. Mansfield? Have there been other reports of reception problems?

My reception of all Mt. Mansfield stations is as strong as usual (Fox 85-90% like in the fall).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mt. Mansfield Icing

I live in Essex, VT with a direct view of Mt. Mansfield. I haven't seen anything one way or the other about icing, but the Fox44 signal here is down from it's usual 98% to 40 to 60%. There are frequent breakups and total loss of signal. The other Mt. Mansfield and Plattsburgh stations are at their usual 98% which would seem to indicate a specific Fox 44 problem. Yesterday the breakups were bad enough that we had to watch the Fox football playoffs on CTV12. SD was better than intermittent HD.

1921 - 1940 of 3783 Posts