Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
3761 - 3780 of 3783 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
5.4 not showing on my TV, so maybe in the near future. However I looked at their schedule and did not find a single program that I would like to watch.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Jay,

WYCI filed this application to the FCC in October 2019. I do not know if it was approved. However it is not the first time that WYCI have big projects but no money.

After the acquisition of WYCI by Gray (i.e. WCAX), I asked WCAX if the were planning to add WYCI as a subchannel of WCAX instead of building a new transmitter at Terry Mountain. They said that they had no room left on 3.x. Several months after that, they added their news channel on 3.6. Go figure !

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yagi, actually this was submitted by Gray Television on 11/25/2020, so this could indeed happen. It makes little sense for Gray to keep WYCI accessible to such a small market. Adding a tower to Terry Mountain (which I believe is where WPTZ used to be located) makes a lot of sense to them financially. Also, I wonder if this may be part of a future plan to convert a single station in the Burlington market to ATSC 3.0.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Regarding OTA signal strength, I tried everything possible (adding splitters and removing them, using different RG6 cables and different TV antenna preamplifiers and removing them, etc.) in order to improve or stabilize my weaker OTA signals in Montreal-RDP area (CBS 3.1, NBC 5.1, FOX 44.1, PBS 57.1) coming from my excellent GH6n3 UHF-VHF Hi outdoor OTA antenna.

After so many different tests and combinations, I ended up using no preamp, but added a 4-way splitter (it has two -7db and one -3.5db outputs) and connected my RG6 cable to the -7db output to get a stabilized signal on most of the weaker channels. Strangely enough, if I connected my cable to the -3.5db output or didn’t use the splitter at all, I lost most of these weaker signals. There is also a minor reduction in strength for the strong local channels (Global, Citytv) when using the -7db output on the splitter, which seems to improve the strength of the weaker American channels (CBS, NBC, Fox).

My question is, doesn’t this go contrary to what should happen? I always thought that not using a splitter would yield a stronger signal on all the available channels. I’m also wondering if this is a case where an LTE filter would help because of strong 4G or 5G cellphone frequencies that are probably causing these strange occurrences?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regarding OTA signal strength, I tried everything possible (adding splitters and removing them, using different RG6 cables and different TV antenna preamplifiers and removing them, etc.) in order to improve or stabilize my weaker OTA signals in Montreal-RDP area (CBS 3.1, NBC 5.1, FOX 44.1, PBS 57.1) coming from my excellent GH6n3 UHF-VHF Hi outdoor OTA antenna.

After so many different tests and combinations, I ended up using no preamp, but added a 4-way splitter (it has two -7db and one -3.5db outputs) and connected my RG6 cable to the -7db output to get a stabilized signal on most of the weaker channels. Strangely enough, if I connected my cable to the -3.5db output or didn’t use the splitter at all, I lost most of these weaker signals. There is also a minor reduction in strength for the strong local channels (Global, Citytv) when using the -7db output on the splitter, which seems to improve the strength of the weaker American channels (CBS, NBC, Fox).

My question is, doesn’t this go contrary to what should happen? I always thought that not using a splitter would yield a stronger signal on all the available channels. I’m also wondering if this is a case where an LTE filter would help because of strong 4G or 5G cellphone frequencies that are probably causing these strange occurrences?
I wonder if you might have some strong multipath signals that are knocking down weaker ones? Adding more attenuation might drop the multipath down into the mud and cause less interference on the main signal?

·
Registered
161 Posts

Do you have a FM Filter installed between your antenna and the receiver (or pre-amp)?

I couldn't find your RabbitEars details to confirm, but from my experiences it would seem that you are describing a situation where the tuner (and pre-amp, when installed) is being overpowered, and it's unlikely that a local TV RF signal would cause this.

My location is in the middle of a Bermuda triangle of numerous 5G/4G transmitters (some are pointed directly towards my antenna!), which does cause some interference on weaker US signals when a pre-amp is installed without a 5G/4G filter (due to the amplification effect of the pre-amp), but my worst offenders are the FM Radio transmitters on Mount Royal: I loose various US channels at different times of the day if I remove my FM Filter. I'm using a Televes pre-amplifier, which has excellent built-in technology to counter multipath issues, but doesn't perform well without an FM FIlter on the input, despite the built-in FM filtering, and I've seen exactly the same effect you describe above when comparing my pre-amp on/off signals with the FM Filter removed.

The short version of this response: Test with a FM Filter and 5G/4G Fiter (with your 4-way splitter removed), and if this works test again with the pre-amplifier behind the FM and 5G/4G filters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for replying pbr and WalterP. I will look into your tips when it gets warmer in trying to determine the causes for the signal fluctuations.

Other things that come to mind:

.....my antenna is probably not positioned high enough as it barely clears my neighbor's roof by about one foot, and some signals are being bounced off his roof creating highs and lows in signal strength depending on the channel being watched.

.....certain signals increase in strength during the summer months, even though there are multiple trees with leaves in the position that I'm aiming. Sometimes I catch ABC 22 in the summer when the trees are in full bloom. Could it be certain channels increase in strength when they bounce off leaves?

.....I am using an outdoor balun (UHF/VHF transformer) with 2 very small screws holding the balun wires, minimally touching the antenna copper elements for my home-built GH6n3 antenna. Is there a possibility that the electrical connection for the antenna is at a minimum, and a better and stronger balun connection (such as with bigger screws or bolts) would make a big difference in signal strength?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm curious what model this is?
I'm currently using the single input Televes 560393, but I've seen similar multipath performance from the older Televes models (single and multi-inputs).

Each location and installation is different, so this may not be the best pre-amp for your setup. For example, this Televes pre-amp is inadequate for the setup at my parent's house located in Beaconsfield (with minimal multipath issues, except for one big tree), where their best results are from an older model Channel Master pre-amp. I've also tested a Kits pre-amp in their location with very good results. Neither of these two (high quality) pre-amps can be used at my location due to extreme multipath problems caused by a lot of tall buildings + one big tree in the path of USA signals (~75 miles), and the reflections of the strong local TV (and FM) signals (~1 mile) bouncing back at my location from various other nearby buildings.

Thanks for replying pbr and WalterP. I will look into your tips when it gets warmer in trying to determine the causes for the signal fluctuations.

Other things that come to mind:

.....my antenna is probably not positioned high enough as it barely clears my neighbor's roof by about one foot, and some signals are being bounced off his roof creating highs and lows in signal strength depending on the channel being watched.

.....certain signals increase in strength during the summer months, even though there are multiple trees with leaves in the position that I'm aiming. Sometimes I catch ABC 22 in the summer when the trees are in full bloom. Could it be certain channels increase in strength when they bounce off leaves?

.....I am using an outdoor balun (UHF/VHF transformer) with 2 very small screws holding the balun wires, minimally touching the antenna copper elements for my home-built GH6n3 antenna. Is there a possibility that the electrical connection for the antenna is at a minimum, and a better and stronger balun connection (such as with bigger screws or bolts) would make a big difference in signal strength?
It's likely that you'll see completely different results if/when you raise your antenna by ~6 ft (which is what I'd try first), and this may actually increase the requirement for FM and/or 5G filtering. Also, you may be interested to know that it's very difficult (i.e. once in a blue moon) to capture ABC 22 (RF 7) at my location without an FM filter. This is an inexpensive part ($29) that you can install on the coax input to your TV or tuner box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
....certain signals increase in strength during the summer months, even though there are multiple trees with leaves in the position that I'm aiming. Sometimes I catch ABC 22 in the summer when the trees are in full bloom. Could it be certain channels increase in strength when they bounce off leaves?
I have similar issues with leaves in the summer, but have tweaked things so that I only have a rare dropout when it is real windy. Some of my channels get better in the winter and some get better in the summer, I'm only about 17 miles from Mount Mansfield, but have a ridgeline in between me and the mountain. I found that taking a small tv right up to the attic where I can see it works best for fine tuning. Sometimes six inches up or down or left or right can make a difference. As well as the path the feedline takes up to antenna... probably not much you can do with a mast, but sometimes just moving it around will give better (or worse) results. It's disappointing when everything works great in the summer just to go bad in fall when the leaves come off the trees. So I've tried to keep some notes of the adjustments that I can refer back to and not make the same mistakes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
On the ATSC 3.0 front, I emailed all 3 major broadcasters in the Burlington Market (WCAX, WPTZ, WFFF/WVNY). So far, only WPTZ has responded to my question - stating that they will not be deploying ATSC 3.0 this year. They did not answer if / when there is an estimated timeframe to deploy anything. I do have one of the new ATSC 3.0 hdhomerun devices and am hoping to test ATSC 3.0 at some point. For now, it's just an overpriced ATSC 1.0 tuner in my HTPC setup :)
Have there been any recent developments on the ATSC 3.0 installations for the Burlington market?

The NextGenTV website shows Burlington as "coming soon", but it's not listed as a Summer 2022 market. It would be great to see an update from insiders, or from anyone who has any news from the local broadcasters on their post-Covid engineering plans.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Have there been any recent developments on the ATSC 3.0 installations for the Burlington market?

The NextGenTV website shows Burlington as "coming soon", but it's not listed as a Summer 2022 market. It would be great to see an update from insiders, or from anyone who has any news from the local broadcasters on their post-Covid engineering plans.
I actually emailed WCAX, WPTZ, WVNY, and WFFF a couple of weeks ago. WVNY/WFFF said, "Our Market will be switching to ATSC 3.0 in the future, but it will be another year or two before it happens in this area. When it happens all the stations should go live with it at the same time. "

WPTZ said "no plans at this time" and WCAX said they do not know the timeline.

I completely forgot to email the PBS stations, but I'd assume they'd be dead last due to costs / funding.

3761 - 3780 of 3783 Posts