Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
3741 - 3759 of 3759 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Anyone, have an update. In Montreal in the super high tower, I was getting WFFF with 15.8 dB SNR. I change frequency on the blonger tongue and I'm no longer able to get it.
In Laval, from a roof antenna 4 baywith CM-7777 and LTE filter and double FM trap. I lost the signal.

We don't see any update if the modification is complete or not. Anyone saw some testing overnight?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Same here in Rosemont, a strong WVNY like never before! (including pre-repack). But WFFF is gone. I hope I get it back soon!

·
Registered
153 Posts
The WVNY/WFFF www.mychamplainvalley.com website is still showing the "If you watch WVNY or WFFF with an antenna..." banner link on the main page. The linked page states that work will continue this week.

Both WVNY and WFFF went off air (or very low power) this morning around 08:30. Clearly there is more work being done, and with a bit of luck we'll see both stations reappear once the antenna work is completed.

·
Registered
153 Posts
WVNY and WFFF are back on air. WVNY has a similar power rating to what I was seeing this past weekend. Once again, I cannot receive WFFF at my location, which is consistent with what I've seen since WVNY reappeared last Friday afternoon.
It's my assumption that they will continue working tomorrow to bring WFFF up to full power, and I hope that this isn't just wishful thinking!

·
Registered
231 Posts
WVNY and WFFF are back on air. WVNY has a similar power rating to what I was seeing this past weekend. Once again, I cannot receive WFFF at my location, which is consistent with what I've seen since WVNY reappeared last Friday afternoon.
It's my assumption that they will continue working tomorrow to bring WFFF up to full power, and I hope that this isn't just wishful thinking!
Hopefully they didn't screw things up for WFFF and it's still at low-power or working on it...
I was looking for info or the new antenna pattern on Rabbitear but didn't find anything new...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to confirm the increase in signal quality for ch.7RF/22.x, from ~75% to 100% symbol quality with the same setup.
Channel 16RF/44.x is still down... Hopefully it will come back stronger after work finishes.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
153 Posts
WVNY is off air (or very low power) again this morning, as of a few minutes ago. It seems that the WVNY & WFFF maintenance work is on-going, which would be good news for those of us who lost WFFF when WVNY reappeared last week!

·
Registered
153 Posts
WVNY and WFFF are back on air. WFF has a similar power rating to what I was seeing last week, and it seems that both are back at full power. I'm very pleased to see the results of this work!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My levels are now similar with the ones previous the antenna works - the only thing different is cleaner signal on ch7.
Mtl South Shore (Brossard) - antenna elevation around 18m above sea level.
Ch.7RF
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel
Ch.16RF
Product Rectangle Azure Font Screenshot

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes both come in strong! Finally my swap from a Delhi 10Y13S to the Stellar Labs 30-2476 pays off!
WVNY is coming in very strong now I may have been ok with my 10y13s! Stronger than WFFF which is now my weakest signal (except WCFE which is on/off depending on season...)
WFFF: 22-25 dB SNR (Same as before after the recent antenna work)
WVNY: 21-23 dB SNR
WCFE: 15-17 dB (Summer) Which is marginal as I need 15 for a lock. 20-21 dB (Winter)

Everything else is usually 28 dB or more...

Didn't expect changes would be made on WVNY this is great!! I'm now better off than before the repack!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I'll be moving to a high rise in Griffintown - I'm only on the 7th floor but have a south facing view.

I'm wondering if:
1) I would be able to reliably receive US channels
2) I would also be able to receive Canadian channels despite the antenna facing south

All responses, both from experience and speculation, are welcome!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi everyone, I'll be moving to a high rise in Griffintown - I'm only on the 7th floor but have a south facing view.

I'm wondering if:
1) I would be able to reliably receive US channels
2) I would also be able to receive Canadian channels despite the antenna facing south

All responses, both from experience and speculation, are welcome!
I would suggest going to RabbitEars and conducting a Signal Search to find out what is possible >>>

You can drag the map pin to the exact address and then fill in the boxes with the correct information and then run the search. You will have to estimate what you think the height of the antenna will be. You can bookmark the Search results and go back to review them at a later time.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would suggest going to RabbitEars and conducting a Signal Search to find out what is possible >>>

You can drag the map pin to the exact address and then fill in the boxes with the correct information and then run the search. You will have to estimate what you think the height of the antenna will be. You can bookmark the Search results and go back to review them at a later time.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri
Thanks, this is very helpful!
Just to clarify, if I live very close (less than 2 miles) from the transmitter, will I likely get a signal at 70 ft elevation despite pointing my antenna in the opposite direction?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks, this is very helpful!
Just to clarify, if I live very close (less than 2 miles) from the transmitter, will I likely get a signal at 70 ft elevation despite pointing my antenna in the opposite direction?
I don't think you have to worry about receiving a signal from less than 2 miles away with the antenna pointed in ANY direction. In jest, you could probably put a paperclip out connected to the coax cable and receive the signal :p

Seriously, you would be more concerned about signals at the greatest distance that you are wanting to receive and see what type of quality is projected from the Signal Search study.

Just as a word of caution - since you mention that you are less that 2 miles from a transmitter tower, you really don't want to use any type of pre-amplifier or signal amp, as it would most likely overload the TV tuner.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about receiving a signal from less than 2 miles away with the antenna pointed in ANY direction. In jest, you could probably put a paperclip out connected to the coax cable and receive the signal :p

Seriously, you would be more concerned about signals at the greatest distance that you are wanting to receive and see what type of quality is projected from the Signal Search study.

Just as a word of caution - since you mention that you are less that 2 miles from a transmitter tower, you really don't want to use any type of pre-amplifier or signal amp, as it would most likely overload the TV tuner.

Jim
Jim, I appreciate your detailed (and humourous) response. My antenna is quite basic with no pre-amp, and I'm looking forward to seeing how many U.S.-based signals I can pull in with my basic setup.

All the best!

·
Registered
153 Posts
WVNY Channel 3.6 is broadcasting content as of earlier today. The guide shows a list of "Channel 3" news shows with a few "Paid Programming" slots during the overnight hours. In addition to the news content, the right side of the screen shows continuously updating weather maps.

3741 - 3759 of 3759 Posts