Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
3721 - 3740 of 3759 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody else having problems with Vermont channels (3,5,33,44)? I lost reception for a week now... any work done on the antenna now so they work with reduced power?
Ch 5 and the subs never really bounced back for me after the outage 10-12 days ago. Could be the additional foliage that has come out, but I'm not climbing up the ladder to check on things for a little bit. I get some breakup now when it's windy, it had been great all winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In my case was electrical problem with one of my (many) amplifiers... maybe electrical discharge. Signal is steady and at normal levels now.
Only Mountain Lake PBS (ch 57/RF36) will have some work done on the antenna for the middle of June (13-14 I think).

Rectangle Product Font Line Screenshot

·
Registered
153 Posts
WFFF is running a public service message that warns of potential OTA broadcast disruptions next week due to scheduled technical work on the WFFF & WVNY transmitters beginning Monday 21 June. Does anyone here have details they can share regarding the planned enginnering work? More importantly, does this mean that WVNY will soon reappear in Central and Eastern Montreal area OTA receivers?

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is what I received from Dave Turner: (Director of Engineering WVNY and WFFF)

Hi Pierre,

Hope you are doing well. We miss our friends to the North!

Good News is that we have scheduled the work to try to fix the signal level in your direction. As of right now the work is scheduled for mid-June.

So yes we could expect changes to the signal level(y)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok I was wondering why I lost all my channels. How long will it be?
That's really a vague question. You probably need to provide more detail to why you are asking such a question. Details such as what stations you typically receive, when they disappeared, etc. On the surface, without details, the first conclusion I reach is that something broke in your antenna receiving line (the coaxial cable or a connector).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ok I was wondering why I lost all my channels. How long will it be?
The WFFF and WVNY transmitter work is scheduled to begin next Monday (21 June), so this wouldn't be the cause of your current reception problems from the Mount Mansfield transmitters. WCFE is in the midst of a two week transmitter repair/upgrade, so this could be the cause of reception problems for the 57.x channels. However, as suggested by James Thomas, your current reception problems are most probably on your side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's really a vague question. You probably need to provide more detail to why you are asking such a question. Details such as what stations you typically receive, when they disappeared, etc. On the surface, without details, the first conclusion I reach is that something broke in your antenna receiving line (the coaxial cable or a connector).
I still have all my digital Canadian stations lost about 20 American stations a week ago WCAX all PBS stations FOX etc..

·
Registered
47 Posts
WFFF is weak for me since the repack. I hope it will get better after the ajustements. I haven’t been able to get a parcel of signal for WVNY before the repack, I don’t think it will improve that much..

Let’s keep our fingers crossed guys !!

Reactions: Scooter63

·
Registered
5 Posts
Surprisingly, WCFE-TV PBS 57 comes in (weak signal though) during the summer months in my area with the leaves in full bloom. Once the leaves have fallen, I lose this channel. It's as though the leaves will diminish the signal level of the strong local channels thereby increasing channel 57 reception. Anybody else notice this?

·
Registered
153 Posts
WCFE has a new message on their website "Station Blog" confirming that the transmitter updates were completed yesterday (21 June), and it states that they are back at full power. The RabbitEars "Repack Info" for WCFE already shows this status change - the "R" (reduced power) entry has been updated to "L" (completed).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Additional info from MyChamplainValley:

Starting Thursday morning June 24 through Friday, June 25 and possibly one or two days longer, both WVNY and WFFF will be off the air from 9am until 4pm while work is done to complete FCC required adjustments to WVNY’s signal distribution.

Cheers

·
Registered
153 Posts
WVNY has reappeared! I'm located in the Plateau area (Central Montreal, East side of Mount Royal), and this is the first time I've captured WVNY since the repack (after the tower repairs). I'm currently having problems with WFFF, but this could be on my side.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am in the Townships right now and I have lost WFFF which used to be one of my good signals. WVNY is still nowhere to be seen on my tv. They may still be operating at reduced power (I hope).

·
Registered
48 Posts
In Sherbrooke, I lost both WVNY and WFFF (8 channels). It looks like they removed some signal in the East to give more in the North. A big lost thanks to Nexstar.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They may have not done all the work yet.. still no signal on WFFF or WVNY. Hope it will not get worse than before..

·
Registered
153 Posts
They may have not done all the work yet.. still no signal on WFFF or WVNY. Hope it will not get worse than before..
I agree with your reading of the tea leaves... No WFFF reception on my tuners since Friday afternoon! Without any offical news from WFFF/WVNY confirming that the work has been completed, it's likely that we're still in the "...possibly one or two days longer..." extended timeframe mentioned on their website (their headline for the antenna work article refers to off-air hours early next week).

On the positive side, WVNY is rock solid here in the Plateau, a RF "Bermuda Triangle" with a significant number of 4G and 5G transmitters on multiple sides of my antennas (under 150 meters) , and unobstructed LOS (under 1.3KM) to the high power AM/FM radio, VHF/UHF OTA, and Police/Emergency transmiters on Mount Royal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with your reading of the tea leaves... No WFFF reception on my tuners since Friday afternoon! Without any offical news from WFFF/WVNY confirming that the work has been completed, it's likely that we're still in the "...possibly one or two days longer..." extended timeframe mentioned on their website (their headline for the antenna work article refers to off-air hours early next week).

On the positive side, WVNY is rock solid here in the Plateau, a RF "Bermuda Triangle" with a significant number of 4G and 5G transmitters on multiple sides of my antennas (under 150 meters) , and unobstructed LOS (under 1.3KM) to the high power AM/FM radio, VHF/UHF OTA, and Police/Emergency transmiters on Mount Royal.
On the south shore, I get a stronger signal on WVNY. My WFFF signal is down almost 50% vs what I would normally get. The notice bout work being done is still up on their website. I would presume the work isn't finished yet.

3721 - 3740 of 3759 Posts