Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3681 - 3700 of 3706 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
No Change on my, 35, 62, OK but no 22 (WVNY)
In fact the signal of 35 and 62 are quite weak in my antenna, because my antenna's direction has to compromise Mt. Mansfield and Mt. Royal.
I started getting 35 and 62 (not solid but better then WVNY at most time) since a few months ago. I need WVNY more than 35 and 62, because of the sports.
I believe I get WVNY is just luck. I wrote to WVNY (Nexstar Group) asked to put a bit more power a few weeks ago. not sure they listen to. Anyway it's what I can do.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The signal is there (09:42), but it has to be the weakest I have seen this year. No video of course at that level.

·
Registered
45 Posts
At 11:07, WVNY is now more or less back to normal strength for my location anyways.

Viewable with some choppiness on the sound.

I have a plan for 2021:
1. Raise the telescoping pole to 40ft and check the results;
2. Depending on what I see in step 1, I will stack vertically 2 LPA's and check the results.

Will see,
stay safe

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm intrigued by the idea of an LTE filter. Back in mid-2013, right after Hydro Quebec installed dozens of Smart Meters in my building, I started getting constant bursts of interference on my TV (I'm using a powered antenna with pre-amp built-in!). Turn off the amplification, problem goes away. I've always blamed it on the RF meters, but could it be 4G-LTE interference instead?

My workaround has been reducing my UHF/VHF amplification as low as possible but that affects how strong the TV signal comes in. Amazon sells these filters for $33 CDN (before tax and shipping) but I'm not sure if it will fix my issue. My building and the building next door BOTH have cell towers on the roof though!

As for WVNY-22, I've been doing some experimenting. I'm able to get the channel in a watchable state (only occasional hiccups) by placing a metal bar and metal wire behind my antenna, and turning up the VHF gain. If there are times of the day with heavy interference issues I turn OFF the UHF gain (leaving VHF gain as-is) and it comes in fine. Though lately with just the extra antenna tweaks it lets me watch the channel as-is, no breakup or pixelization. Maybe between some more antenna tweaks (or even a new antenna?) and the LTE filter I can fix my WVNY-22 reception issues permanently. The metal bits behind my antenna have improved VPT-33 too, but the signal is still weak and often cuts out at certain times of the day. At any rate, it would be interesting to see if any of this is related to cell phone tower signals and filtering out the noise.

WVNY-22 technicians advised me they tripled their output power from 1kw to 3kw back during the switch over, but are limited by the pattern placement of the signal. This is because they're required by the FCC to protect channel 7 up here in Canada (this wasn't a concern with their old antenna or the temporary one!). And of course moving from 13 to 7 is an issue in itself, as it's lower down in the frequency spectrum and requires more power to reach further distances.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm intrigued by the idea of an LTE filter. Back in mid-2013, right after Hydro Quebec installed dozens of Smart Meters in my building, I started getting constant bursts of interference on my TV (I'm using a powered antenna with pre-amp built-in!). Turn off the amplification, problem goes away. I've always blamed it on the RF meters, but could it be 4G-LTE interference instead?

My workaround has been reducing my UHF/VHF amplification as low as possible but that affects how strong the TV signal comes in. Amazon sells these filters for $33 CDN (before tax and shipping) but I'm not sure if it will fix my issue. My building and the building next door BOTH have cell towers on the roof though!

As for WVNY-22, I've been doing some experimenting. I'm able to get the channel in a watchable state (only occasional hiccups) by placing a metal bar and metal wire behind my antenna, and turning up the VHF gain. If there are times of the day with heavy interference issues I turn OFF the UHF gain (leaving VHF gain as-is) and it comes in fine. Though lately with just the extra antenna tweaks it lets me watch the channel as-is, no breakup or pixelization. Maybe between some more antenna tweaks (or even a new antenna?) and the LTE filter I can fix my WVNY-22 reception issues permanently. The metal bits behind my antenna have improved VPT-33 too, but the signal is still weak and often cuts out at certain times of the day. At any rate, it would be interesting to see if any of this is related to cell phone tower signals and filtering out the noise.

WVNY-22 technicians advised me they tripled their output power from 1kw to 3kw back during the switch over, but are limited by the pattern placement of the signal. This is because they're required by the FCC to protect channel 7 up here in Canada (this wasn't a concern with their old antenna or the temporary one!). And of course moving from 13 to 7 is an issue in itself, as it's lower down in the frequency spectrum and requires more power to reach further distances.
Telus is installing small cell LTE transmitters by the thousands around the city.
Check if they installed any around your place: Canadian Cellular Towers Map
Yes the one at Amazon for $29cdn +taxes is the best price for us in Canada. Channel Master is having a special this week at $12usd, but the shipping of $12.42usd to Canada will make it about the same as Amazon. The LTE filter did not resolve my issue, the LTE transmitter is just 30ft away from my antenna and it is too strong and probably causing spurious LTE emissions into the pass band as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
"WVNY-22 technicians advised me they tripled their output power from 1kw to 3kw back during the switch over, but are limited by the pattern placement of the signal. This is because they're required by the FCC to protect channel 7 up here in Canada (this wasn't a concern with their old antenna or the temporary one!). And of course moving from 13 to 7 is an issue in itself, as it's lower down in the frequency spectrum and requires more power to reach further distances. "

When there are 'GOOD' program on WVNY, the signal is almost shut down to zero and then recovered again.
So I give up the channel, because it's worthless.

·
Registered
188 Posts
When there are 'GOOD' program on WVNY, the signal is almost shut down to zero and then recovered again.
So I give up the channel, because it's worthless.
It's pretty frustrating, I agree. Tonight the signal from WVNY-22 has dropped below 10% and constantly cutting out (even with the improvements I made), so it's more or less unwatchable. Tomorrow, or even a few hours from now, that could change. It just snowed tonight so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but WVNY-22 gone from one of my strongest and most reliable channels, to something on the fringe.

·
Registered
345 Posts
This is because they're required by the FCC to protect channel 7 up here in Canada (this wasn't a concern with their old antenna or the temporary one!).
I hate to break it to you, but WVNY's antenna pattern is the same now as it was before the repack.

Old antenna: RabbitEars.Info
New antenna: RabbitEars.Info

WVNY-13 used to protect CFCF-12. Now WVNY-7 protects CHLT-8.

- Trip

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
So why was WVNY forced off RF 13 ?Separation was better before repack.They had an omni pattern in analog days.

·
Registered
345 Posts
WGBY in Springfield, MA accepted a bid to move to high-VHF. To accommodate it, a bunch of high-VHF stations across the northeastern US and surrounding areas of Canada had to be reshuffled.

- Trip

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, I just saw that WYCI from Saranac Lake has applied for a relocation. With this new location and power, Montreal could get the chance to receive it.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi all, I just saw that WYCI from Saranac Lake has applied for a relocation. With this new location and power, Montreal could get the chance to receive it.
Not a relocation per se, but resurrecting their old application to operate a second co-channel distributed transmitter from Terry Mountain near Peru NY, the former tower of WPTZ channel 5 analog.
This should provide very good coverage of much of Montreal Island.

3681 - 3700 of 3706 Posts