Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3641 - 3660 of 3662 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
On Rabbit ears, the noise margin is about 22.39 on channel 7. I know there are estimates but you would think I should be able to get at least the same signal with a higher NM plus I upgraded from a 30-2475 to a 30-2476 antenna which gives about an extra gain of 1.5 à 2.0db...Any ideas?
Hi Qpats. I believe if you look back in this thread a couple of pages, there was discussion that WVNY uses a directional antenna pattern that nulls to the north-west. I'm also in that null (Swanton, VT along the border) but am able to receive it clearly - but it is definitely the most challenging to receive of the Burlington stations.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi Qpats. I believe if you look back in this thread a couple of pages, there was discussion that WVNY uses a directional antenna pattern that nulls to the north-west. I'm also in that null (Swanton, VT along the border) but am able to receive it clearly - but it is definitely the most challenging to receive of the Burlington stations.
Defective ballun on the 30-2476? What if you go back to your 30-2475? Same results?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Northbear, are you sure you're not seeing signal fade due to weather and distance? I see the same thing with CJNT from my location.
high wind in Quebec area yesterday and today, I think it causes the signal quality becomes low. Maybe it changes the waveguide of the transmission.

·
Registered
148 Posts
watched WVNY a few day (weekend and thankgiving), I believed its signal is more weaker and easy to be effected by the weather.
Do WVNY cares the reception in Canada?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It seems to be very hard to get since they have moved to their permanent antenna. I don't want to sound like a broken record but VHF13 was coming in fine and I think the reception was better for me on Channel 7 with the temporary antenna. For sure the signal is SUPER weak now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
On the ATSC 3.0 front, I emailed all 3 major broadcasters in the Burlington Market (WCAX, WPTZ, WFFF/WVNY). So far, only WPTZ has responded to my question - stating that they will not be deploying ATSC 3.0 this year. They did not answer if / when there is an estimated timeframe to deploy anything. I do have one of the new ATSC 3.0 hdhomerun devices and am hoping to test ATSC 3.0 at some point. For now, it's just an overpriced ATSC 1.0 tuner in my HTPC setup :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Is Vermont PBS (WETK-33) having transmitter problems? For at least the past two weeks, the signal has been VERY weak (e.g. 12-15%), to the point often getting a signal-lock isn't possible and I'm not receiving the channel! Something must be going on because typically it's one of the stronger US stations, normally coming in at 75% or higher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is Vermont PBS (WETK-33) having transmitter problems? For at least the past two weeks, the signal has been VERY weak (e.g. 12-15%), to the point often getting a signal-lock isn't possible and I'm not receiving the channel! Something must be going on because typically it's one of the stronger US stations, normally coming in at 75% or higher.
Interestingly enough, I have been having the same problem for the last couple of years. Up until and including 2018, the signal was very strong between March and November, after which it disappeared until the following March. Since 2019, I have been receiving it on-and-off only during the Summer and early Fall. I have not been getting it at all for the last few weeks. I contacted the station about the problem in the Spring of 2019, and they said that nothing about their signal had changed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yup, same issue here started in early October very very weak lock on 33.1 and also nothing on 57.1 PBS.
It seems there is a problem with any channel after 31.1 even the local channels like 35.1, 47.1 and 62.1 cannot lock onto anything. I suspect it can be a local interference like street lamps, hydro meters and water meters that now operate with RF signal, but can't be sure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yup, same issue here started in early October very very weak lock on 33.1 and also nothing on 57.1 PBS.
It seems there is a problem with any channel after 31.1 even the local channels like 35.1, 47.1 and 62.1 cannot lock onto anything. I suspect it can be a local interference like street lamps, hydro meters and water meters that now operate with RF signal, but can't be sure.
I'll have to contact Vermont PBS to see if they're having transmitter issues, it seems likely. I've also had Mountain Lake PBS 57.1 go from a very strong signal (at least since the switch-over) to unwatchable and often no lock even. On the other hand, 62.1 (CityTV), which used to be one of the weakest channels, has lately been very strong and stable, up to 80% signal strength!

I highly suspect the bank of Hydro meters installed in my building (just mere feet behind my antenna!) have been causing antenna interference issues. Since dozens were installed a few years back, I now get bursts of errors if I have my UHF or VHF amplification turned up. It could also be someone's WIFI, but since I've had to push up the VHF power gain for WVNY-22 lately, it's interfering with my other channels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"I've also had Mountain Lake PBS 57.1 go from a very strong signal (at least since the switch-over) to unwatchable and often no lock even. On the other hand, 62.1 (CityTV), which used to be one of the weakest channels, has lately been very strong and stable, up to 80% signal strength!"

I'm having the same type of reception. It may be related to where I live. I live in the Snowdon area of Montreal (H3W 1L4).

·
Registered
24 Posts
62.1 has been much better for me since the repack, almost never cutting out, which certainly wasn't the case before. 33.1 has lost a bit of strength but is roughly on par with 5.1 and 44.1 for me (99% + reliable). 57.1 maxes out the signal meter in Chateauguay and has a stronger signal than anything from Mt-Royal.

·
Registered
186 Posts
"I've also had Mountain Lake PBS 57.1 go from a very strong signal (at least since the switch-over) to unwatchable and often no lock even. On the other hand, 62.1 (CityTV), which used to be one of the weakest channels, has lately been very strong and stable, up to 80% signal strength!"

I'm having the same type of reception. It may be related to where I live. I live in the Snowdon area of Montreal (H3W 1L4).
I'm less than 3 miles away, directly south of you, in NDG. Right now I'm having serious issues with channels 22, 33, and 57. Also 15 is a bit spotty at times, but that's been on and off for years, unlike the others.

My main concern is Vermont PBS (33.1), it's getting worse. The fact that you're also having issues miles away in Snowdon means it's not just my building or neighborhood.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the reason to say WVNY changes its signal strength.
During the election 2020 week, the signal quality is pretty good, I got it all day.
After election 2020 done, the reception is down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm thinking some new 4G and 5G signals occupying previous OTA bandwidth are overpowering and interfering with over the air reception, causing irregularities in signal strength and channel reception. For example, CBS WCAX 3 normally comes in clearly with great signal strength most of the time, but occasionally out of the blue it has lots of pixelization even with strong signal strength. Can a Channel Master LTE filter help in this situation? What are your opinions?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm thinking some new 4G and 5G signals occupying previous OTA bandwidth are overpowering and interfering with over the air reception, causing irregularities in signal strength and channel reception. For example, CBS WCAX 3 normally comes in clearly with great signal strength most of the time, but occasionally out of the blue it has lots of pixelation even with strong signal strength.
I first started having reception problems with WETK 33 in March 2019, so the timing seems to fit.

3641 - 3660 of 3662 Posts