Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

3401 - 3420 of 3443 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chanal 3,5,22 air signal lost

I am from Montreal with a 56 feets tower with big antenna and lost all 22 and 3 last week and the 5 for a long long time.
They use to comme cristal clear!
When can we expect to guet these stasions bacK?
Thank you.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am from Montreal with a 56 feets tower with big antenna and lost all 22 and 3 last week and the 5 for a long long time.
They use to comme cristal clear!
When can we expect to guet these stasions bacK?
Thank you.
Channels 3 and 5 (WCAX and WPTZ) were affected by a fire and have been broadcasting off a temporarily antenna since late last year, so the signal may be weak or spotty. The original antenna tower is scheduled to be repaired by this summer, but considering the pandemic crisis going on right now, that could potentially be delayed.

I'm still getting the signal, but checking tonight (March 22), 3 is at 35% strength and 5 at 24% strength! Ouch. Normally I get these at 95-100% strength! It's possible these stations are running with just a skeleton maintenance crew right now. I worry about many of the local and US stations staying on air if the pandemic gets out of control.

As for channel 22 (WVNY), it's coming in nice and strong where I am.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Channels 3 and 5 (WCAX and WPTZ) were affected by a fire and have been broadcasting off a temporarily antenna since late last year, so the signal may be weak or spotty. The original antenna tower is scheduled to be repaired by this summer, but considering the pandemic crisis going on right now, that could potentially be delayed.

I'm still getting the signal, but checking tonight (March 22), 3 is at 35% strength and 5 at 24% strength! Ouch. Normally I get these at 95-100% strength! It's possible these stations are running with just a skeleton maintenance crew right now. I worry about many of the local and US stations staying on air if the pandemic gets out of control.

As for channel 22 (WVNY), it's coming in nice and strong where I am.
Well the chanal 22 is back 90% to day and chanal 3 is craking 20% and 5 no signal at all.

Hoping for the fix this summer.

Thank you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here are some news from WCAX for their new antenna:

Source: WCAX.COM

New Antenna Update:
A new antenna has been designed and planning and approvals are underway for the buildout of the new antenna. The earliest the antenna equipment can be designed and built is during the month of June. We are currently targeting the week of June 29, 2020, for the permanent repairs.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That info is from November 2019 unfortunately. My guess is that due to the pandemic and that they are effectively operational with the backup transmitters, we may not get any fixes this year at all and will have to wait until next year. Hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can anyone confirm they are getting wvny 22 (Rf 13) in the Ile bizard area? I’ve been trying for a few weeks now building cut dipoles and reflectors and can even get a bad signal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can anyone confirm they are getting wvny 22 (Rf 13) in the Ile bizard area? I’ve been trying for a few weeks now building cut dipoles and reflectors and can even get a bad signal.
A little bit closer than you, but it sometimes comes in with heavy pixelation in Chateauguay (CM4228 on roof at 20' with a Kitztech KT-200 pre-amp). Back in February when there was more than a foot of snow on the roof, it was completely stable for a few weeks. I'm waiting to see if the repack next month changes anything before starting to play around with my set-up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
A little bit closer than you, but it sometimes comes in with heavy pixelation in Chateauguay (CM4228 on roof at 20' with a Kitztech KT-200 pre-amp). Back in February when there was more than a foot of snow on the roof, it was completely stable for a few weeks. I'm waiting to see if the repack next month changes anything before starting to play around with my set-up.
Ok thanks. I have a similar setup as you so I guess ill have to sit tight until the summer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
CJNT 62.1(49) has moved to 17.2(17).
I would wait to do a rescan on Roku TV sets that do not have a manual scan option or else you might loose WCAX and WPTZ with their weaker temporary antenna.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Is WVNY-22 (ABC, Burlington, VT) having broadcasting issues? For the second day in a row, the signal is so weak I cannot even get a signal lock. Interestingly, their sister station WFFF-44 was experiencing similar issues last night, but now seems to be back. I know 22.1 is a tricky channel to receive, but I've always had a very strong signal in my area.

I've also suddenly lost both CBC stations from Montreal (2.1 and 6.1) and not having much luck with CityTV (17.1) or TVA (10.1) at the moment either. Is there some maintenance going on with the antenna on Mount Royal?

And just to add to that, it's now after midnight and channels 3.1 and 5.1 (CBS and NBC) have gone from weak (but completely watchable) to a loss of the signal altogether! I feel like the whole antenna TV landscape has gone out of wack all at once! Anyone else having similar issues? Just want to be sure there's not something in my area causing interference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is WVNY-22 (ABC, Burlington, VT) having broadcasting issues? For the second day in a row, the signal is so weak I cannot even get a signal lock. Interestingly, their sister station WFFF-44 was experiencing similar issues last night, but now seems to be back. I know 22.1 is a tricky channel to receive, but I've always had a very strong signal in my area.

I've also suddenly lost both CBC stations from Montreal (2.1 and 6.1) and not having much luck with CityTV (17.1) or TVA (10.1) at the moment either. Is there some maintenance going on with the antenna on Mount Royal?

And just to add to that, it's now after midnight and channels 3.1 and 5.1 (CBS and NBC) have gone from weak (but completely watchable) to a loss of the signal altogether! I feel like the whole antenna TV landscape has gone out of wack all at once! Anyone else having similar issues? Just want to be sure there's not something in my area causing interference.
I can't really speak as to WVNY, which I only ever get solidly in winter with a deep snowpack on the roof, but all of the other Vermont channels you mention are coming in fine here in Chateauguay this morning. WPTZ and its subchannels were gone most of the weekend though, which seems to be a regular occurrence with them on their temporary transmitter. No issues with any of the Montreal stations you mentioned either.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I can't really speak as to WVNY, which I only ever get solidly in winter with a deep snowpack on the roof, but all of the other Vermont channels you mention are coming in fine here in Chateauguay this morning. WPTZ and its subchannels were gone most of the weekend though, which seems to be a regular occurrence with them on their temporary transmitter. No issues with any of the Montreal stations you mentioned either.
At first I thought it was my antenna set up, but other stations from Vermont are coming in fairly strong (e.g. WFFF-44 is 57%, Vermont PBS is 78%). There is definitely something unusual going on with WVNY-22, for the past several years it's been above 45%, to suddenly dropping to literally 0% this past weekend. I'm assuming something has happened to their transmitter.

I'm not too concerned with WCAX and WPTZ (that will eventually get fixed). Ditto for CBC and TVA, there always seems to be on going issues with the transmitter coming from Mount Royal, it was a few weeks ago CTV was weak and CBC was strong, now it's flipped! What I'm mainly concerned about is WVNY-22. Interestingly, WCAX and WPTZ have been piggybacking on the WVNY/WFFF tower while theirs is rebuilt, maybe that's related?

·
Registered
119 Posts
At first I thought it was my antenna set up, but other stations from Vermont are coming in fairly strong (e.g. WFFF-44 is 57%, Vermont PBS is 78%). There is definitely something unusual going on with WVNY-22, for the past several years it's been above 45%, to suddenly dropping to literally 0% this past weekend. I'm assuming something has happened to their transmitter.
The most probable reason is that CKSH-DT (Mont-Orford) has migrated to channel 13, as being reported on the french OTA board. For the moment, both stations (WVNY-CKSH) are on channel 13, probably with reduce power. Here in Brossard, I've been experiencing intermittent loss of signal from WVNY since the CKSH move. Don't know exactly when WVNY will migrate to channel 7, it should be soon. CHLT in still on 7 (going to ch 8).

·
Registered
175 Posts
I managed to get in touch with a technician at WVNY, apparently they've temporarily lowered their transmission power, for safety reasons, while work is being done. They're up on Mount Mansfield working to install WVNY, WFFF, WCAX, WPTZ on new permanent antennas that will all share the tower. And by next week, changing the frequency for WVNY-22 (moving from VHF 13 to 7). It all won't be finished until August so things may be a bit spotty until then.

WVNY is going to be broadcasting at a higher power than before when this is all done, so hopefully not only will the channel return, but people who couldn't get it before might have better luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It looks like I'm still getting about the same pixelation for CJNT after the physical channel move. I was kind of hoping they would have boosted their signal as part of the channel move. Ah well.

Edit: Using a 91XG antenna - attic-mounted

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
It looks like I'm still getting about the same pixelation for CJNT after the physical channel move. I was kind of hoping they would have boosted their signal as part of the channel move. Ah well.

Unlike in the States, there was no provision in the Canadian Repack rules to apply to maximize parameters to match the coverage of the largest station in the market.

·
Registered
175 Posts

What physical channel has CJNT moved to? The signal on 49 is gone, but trying channel 17 just tunes to CIVM on 17.1 (manually trying "17.2" on my remote reports no signal).

Also noticed CFTU now has added a sub-channel on 29.3. It's just a duplicate of 29.1, but are they planning to add a sub-channel?

3401 - 3420 of 3443 Posts