Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Is anyone else having problems with CFTO-DT54 RF35 near Peterborough? Both the signal strength and signal quality (from an HDHR4) have been consistently about 70% since at least Monday evening. However nothing is being decoded. The stream info isn't being displayed in the HDHomerun Config. (gui) program either. This station is normally 24/7 for me. Does anyone have contact info for the station?

Regards,

Hugh

·
Registered
790 Posts
When are they supposed to transition to CTV? What will happen to the CJOH transmitter in Prince Edward? Stupid, not having a CBC in this area. Closest one will be in Toronto....out of OTA range here.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Syracuse broadcasts HSN on 3 channels.

RF22 WTVU - 22.2 in HD
RF40 WIXT - 40.2 in HD
RF51 WSHU - 51.1 in SD (This being their original channel and it has no subs, but is in SD.)

Does this not seem a bit odd?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Can anyone verify that WSTM and WCNY have moved to their new channels as scheduled? WSTM was scheduled for 10AM, while WCNY did not announce a time but they share equipment, so I would assume it's the same.

- Trip

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
Syracuse broadcasts HSN on 3 channels.

RF22 WTVU - 22.2 in HD
RF40 WIXT - 40.2 in HD
RF51 WSHU - 51.1 in SD (This being their original channel and it has no subs, but is in SD.)

Does this not seem a bit odd?
In Buffalo, WPXJ carries QVC, and so does WBXZ. Those shopping channels pay the broadcasters to broadcast it for them. If they are willing to pay multiple broadcasters, who are we to say what is odd? We aren't paying the bills for them.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
General question: In Kingston Ontario, & nearby region, we now have no CBC TV, and no CTV TV broadcast, over the air by antenna. CBC has been gone for some time, since CKWS TV 11 Corus went Global. CTV TV is gone early October with the shutdown of Deseronto old Analog 6 NTSC retransmission of CJOH TV from Ottawa (crappy & full of troubles till the end).

Kingston & nearby = NO CBC, NO CTV over the air by antenna - now.

TWO MAJOR CANADIAN BROADCASTERS WITH NO OTA PRESENCE IN OUR FAIRLY POPULATED REGION.

MY QUESTION:

IS THERE ANY WAY TO RECEIVE THESE TWO, CBC AND CTV IN KINGSTON REGION, FREE, IN THE CLEAR, NOT ENCRYPTED, LEGALLY, NOT COUNTING: A BDU SUBSCRIPTION, PAY CABLE OR SAT SERVICE, NOT COUNTING USING THE INTERNET, NOT COUNTING PICKING THEM UP LONG DISTANCE FROM LARGER CENTRES LIKE OTTAWA, TORONTO, PETERBOROUGH OR OTHER ?

ANY FREE TO AIR SAT POSSIBLE ON THESE.

NO PROVIDOR FOR ME, AND NON WANTED .

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mrvanwinkles,
I don't know of any way to get CBC or CTV for free in Kingston.

Your options are:
1. Long, long, long range antenna to get Ottawa.
2. Internet - CBC has most content available for free, CTV has some available for free (once you pay for internet, that is)
3. Pay for cable or satellite
4. Keep on watching U.S. tv for free (I get all 5 main U.S. networks by antenna)

My question is whether CJOH still does Sim-Sub on cable in Kingston, now that they don't broadcast here.
Are there any companies in Kingston that still advertise on CJOH? We should let them know that CJOH does not cover Kingston.

I like the idea of free satellite. I think Australia has some basic tv on free satellite.

·
Registered
44 Posts
mrvanwinkles,
I don't know of any way to get CBC or CTV for free in Kingston.

Your options are:
1. Long, long, long range antenna to get Ottawa.
2. Internet - CBC has most content available for free, CTV has some available for free (once you pay for internet, that is)
3. Pay for cable or satellite
4. Keep on watching U.S. tv for free (I get all 5 main U.S. networks by antenna)

My question is whether CJOH still does Sim-Sub on cable in Kingston, now that they don't broadcast here.
Are there any companies in Kingston that still advertise on CJOH? We should let them know that CJOH does not cover Kingston.

I like the idea of free satellite. I think Australia has some basic tv on free satellite.
Through the use of an M3U8 file and a Raspberry Pi, you can get the live feeds of each of the 13 CBC OTA channels. Or if you want to watch them individually on your computer, you can access them here : https://www.reddit.com/r/canadacordcutters/comments/cmg81g

141 - 152 of 152 Posts