Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Despite what they say on their website:
"The new digital signal is expected to reach the same geographical area as our current analog transmission", I hardly see the HD signal now.
I use to get analog ch. 11 snowy but reliably at my QTH.

·
Registered
4,945 Posts
A snowy analog signal is not representative of being in the "coverage area".

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
At 9kW, I would only expect the coverage to match those who were receiving CKWS analog with outdoor antennas with no snow at all. The "increase in clarity" would mean no squiggly lines or other forms of interference.

If you were reliably watching CKWS analog before, and can no longer get it, I would encourage you to contact the station to let them know. If enough people complain, it might be possible for them to apply for an increase in power.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Back now from my weekend in Kingston.

Back from my internet communications blackout - on the far side of the moon (Kingston).

Ya received CKWS Kingston, Corus CBC independent affiliate, 11.1 at 1080i in Kingston, outdoor antenna, no problem, obviously ... right in the city of Kingston. 94% signal.

Welcome U.S. viewers near there ... to the Flint-Stone / King-Stone / Limestone "Bedrock" / Flintstones Broadcasting Corporation, Canadian 21st century, 13 years after the fact - of the new millenium.

CBC in digital 1080i.

Only 9 Kw? Now is that any way to treat a Friend? A Neighbour?

[ Now - CTV / CJOH / 6 / Deseronto ... can you better that ? In digital 1080i ? Soon? Or 720/720 with CTV 2 as a subchannel or co-channel ? Or maybe you'd like to apply for a new UHF frequency? And get off 6 eventually ? ]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks tvlurker
CKWS is half the power of CHEX. One must wonder why. I received 11 almost always with a watchable picture. It is AWOL now. I have only caught it once post-transition.
I received 2, 4 & 7 Buffalo analog at about the same picture quality pre-transition and I get all 3 of them great now in the digital world.
Oh well, CHEX looks great.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
9 kW was the allocation CKWS was given in the transition plan, which is not to say they couldn't have asked for more, but perhaps interference to CHCH or the vacant allotment in Ottawa were issues.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I received 2, 4 & 7 Buffalo analog at about the same picture quality pre-transition and I get all 3 of them great now in the digital world.
You realize of course that 2, 4 & 7 Buffalo all moved to new frequencies while CHEX and CKWS stayed on the same frequency.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes. I think tvlucker touched on it. They may have been limited to what power they could run which explains why they have 3 repeaters.
The point I am trying to make is I could watch them before but not now. Several in the past have commented that when a VHF station transitions they lose coverage area (CHCH)

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Several in the past have commented that when a VHF station transitions they lose coverage area (CHCH)
I read somewhere the FCC commenting that after the American analog shutdown they discovered that digital VHF-HI requires 10dB more power than they expected (something they considered reasonable), and digital VHF-LO requires more than 20dB more power than expected (which they considered unreasonable). That means that if they expected CKWS only needed 9kW on channel 11, in reality it needs 90kW of power.

One of the reasons we transitioned after the US was to take advantage of their lessons learned, but I haven't heard of one case where a station actually took advantage of these lessons.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
How many Kw was CKWS 11 Analog before the transition?

Maybe they decided to start lower at 9Kw to be careful and monitor performance and possible issues?

Then decide afterwards to apply for a power increase - if they think they need one.

But Yes, if you lost coverage where you had it before, consider mentioning it to the correct authority.

Do it soon, and do it officially, and keep your comments and reference numbers etc., for the record, and for future reference.

It may be of value and evidence - if CKWS 11 applies for a power increase in the future. It may assist CKWS 11 in future requests.

[ Or maybe they kept lower power on purpose? Don't want to spill too much over the border ... just a little. ]

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
[ Or maybe they kept lower power on purpose? Don't want to spill too much over the border ... just a little. ]
That can easily be resolved by having the transmission directional to the north and west, with a null to the south-east (though it looks like they already have a strong null to the south-south-east, probably to protect WONO-CA in Syracuse).

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I would recommend that anyone who used to get a watchable channel 11 signal that can no longer contact, the station. I beleive there is a contact phone number on their digital transition page.

Comments received during the three weeks after transition may have an impact on granting a final broadcasting certificate. At the very least, it would give the company a case for applying for more power or a better frequency.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
We can no longer receive CKWS at our trailer 60km north of Kingston (we could watch a mildly snowy analog signal previously). I've sent an email to the station reporting such. Hopefully they can increase ERP at some point in the future.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ckws has transitioned to digital on channel 11.1. You will need a digital adapter or a new tv to receive the signal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
435 Posts
Anyone notice that CHEX has changed their PSIP data to show as CHEXHD now instead of CHEX-DT?

Looks like it happened between May 20th and 21st

·
Registered
121 Posts
I didn't notice it had changed,but,it still says "CHEXDT" in the actual programming data,and it's high time they had program info!

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm using a Tivo box,I wouldn't even be able to record of their channel!

121 - 140 of 152 Posts