Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Considering they were originally planning to make the change April 25th, I wonder what the problem is.
I don't have details, but I did say here that my contact at CKWS told me, "there are some technical requirements that our transmitter manufacturer is having trouble meeting quickly."

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
The response Roger1818 got from CKWS TV 11, Kingston:

the paperwork has come through, but unfortunately there are some technical requirements that our transmitter manufacturer is having trouble meeting quickly.
Excuse me if I have trouble believeing this.

BS - Broadcaster Slowdown [again ... just a new excuse to justify the delay]

My theory is - that they have just agreed to hold off the cutover to digital broadcasting until the NHL playoffs / the Stanley Cup final - is over.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
My theory is - that they have just agreed to hold off the cutover to digital broadcasting until the NHL playoffs / the Stanley Cup final - is over.
I am curious what your theory is as to why CKWS would benefit from this delay but CHEX didn't (both stations are owned by Corus).

·
Registered
110 Posts
roger1818 and mrvanwinkles,

Perhaps they didn't want to risk losing any coverage of the finals if there was a technical problem with the crossover. However I have no idea whether that would be considered by them.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Yes, you got part of it correct.

One part of my theory was exactly that. Not to lose coverage of Stanley Cup Final with technical troubles, or confuse or inconvenience the OTA analog viewers who currently pick up the channel with antenna.

Maybe CBC itself said "Hey, CKWS/CORUS - woah camel !, don't mess with your OTA transmissions just right now - we are providing you with the Stanley Cup final feed - and that won't look good on ANY of us - if viewers can't see it for whatever reason".

But a second part of my theory, not sure, just a theory.
CKWS/CORUS themselves, have mentioned, on their website, that they have been trying to get the local BDU to provide their CKWS signal in HD (option, higher channel on a BDU HD digital box) to the BDU customers at least [since they provide their signal to the BDU via a direct link], but have had NO LUCK in convincing the BDU to do that.

... and that has probably precipitated CKWS's desire to switch to OTA Digital HD conversion - to get that finally to happen. [ to get HD carriage on the BDU(s), because we now broadcast OTA in digital HD (soon).

So probably they spoke again with the local BDU, and the BDU said as well:
BDU: "DEAL ! When you do finally convert to OTA digital in HD ..."

BDU: "But however, one favour - "Wait until after the NHL playoffs are over."

Some nefarious back room machinations like that.

Machiavelli LIVES !

·
Registered
14 Posts
CKWS

CKWS website now states that they are going to a digital signal on July 5.
Let's hope there are no more delays as there news is already broadcast in 16:9 format and there analog signal is cropped to a 4:3 format .

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Good news, lets see if it actually happens, I hope to be in Kingston for the weekend as usual, and to do a RESCAN ADD on my convertor box, this time to check it out.

I guess they decided to wait until after the U.S. July 4 th day passed.

Not sure why.

Don't want technical troubles or complaints over the U.S. holiday, when CKWS staff might be "off" for the day, over in the U.S. attending some events, ceremonies, or otherwise celebrating things on the U.S. side.

Not sure ... just a theory.

But glad it might happen this weekend.

Congratulations and Thanks: CKWS 11 Kingston / Corus / CBC Kingston affiliate.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Perhaps the transmitter or data stream vendor is based in the US, and they need to have their technical support available?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
DXer - you're receiving 11 direct from Ottawa area? Yes? Good catch.

... I guess that's why you're called DXer.

Me ... Still @work in Ottawa. Finish at Noon. Will be in Cow Town later this afternoon if all goes as planned.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes, there is some tropo activity around at the moment. The picture has a lot of interference patterning, but sound is clear. Channel 7 from Watertown was also coming in at 7:35 am. Both will probably have faded by now (reception seems to peak around dawn).

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Great DXer. Good catch any you are tuning in for an "event" / a cutover maybe.

Back online, back from a short break from work. Tropo ? - ya, the air outside is warm and thick and humid here in Ottawa right now.

You may be seeing the last OTA Analog Gasps from CKWS 11 Kingston.

Thought / request - someone / anyone out there ... record CKWS 11 over the cutover time.

Record the OTA Analog 11 signal if possible, or the even tha Cable signal / Cogeco Kingston 10 over the cutover time.

Then, when/if they go off air, immediately do your OTA digital ADD rescan, and see what comes up asap after the cutover.

It would be interesting to see how they do it / any announcements they might make to the public over the air during the Analog Signoff, and Digital Signon. See what happens / how it turns out.

Another thought - I think I heard and read that CKWS TV streams over the internet during certain times of the day. Not sure, maybe during the NOON Local news? I think during the evening local news time for sure ... like maybe 5- 7 PM ... if I remember correctly.

So you might be lucky and have the internet stream up at the same time and compare.

So you might catch it on the online internet stream as well. Not sure.

No streaming here at work - blocked. So no luck for me.

I should go have a look at the CKWS website myself now. See what's posted up there.

They may "Throw the switch" soon today. We'll see.

[ Or those who are able, could try and tune in one of the other re-broadcast signals, 36 Analog Smiths Falls or the one from Prescott Ontario (analog ch?) [ Edit - not Prescott, but close - 26 Analog Spencerville just north up hwy 416 a little], or Brighton 30.1 already digital, and might be able to see what they say, if anything, as they do the CKWS 11 Wolfe Island Transmitter cut over to digital]

DXer - I think you mentioned you can get 36 from Smith's Falls. If your Tropo goes away, you might be able to tune in 36 and monitor.

P.S. Just looked now on CKWS website ... I think they only stream 5-7 PM and not at noon.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
[ From the CKWS website:]

After the change, here are the channels where you can find CKWS over the air, using an antenna:

11.1 Digital Wolfe Island/Kingston
26 Analog Spencerville
36 Analog Smiths Falls
30.1 Digital Brighton

[ On BDU - ie. Cable / Digital Cable / Satelite ]
These channels will be unaffected:

Cogeco Belleville
11 Analog, 702 Digital

Cogeco Brockville
11 Analog, 702 Digital

Cogeco Kingston
10 Analog, 702 Digital

Shaw Direct Satellite
54 Analog Advanced, 334 Analog Classic (Star Choice)

Bell Expressvue
233 Analog

Tune er' in over the noon hour, record if possible for posterity and posting and sharing, this "Historic" Cow Town / Kingston event.

haa haa !

[ and then feed it after to CTV / CJOH / BELL - re their CH 6 local area Deseronto Transmitter - Analog. CKWS TV 11 beat you to digital OTA conversion ! ]

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Currently on the CKWS website:

"The new digital signal is expected to reach the same geographical area as our current analog transmission, however the quality experienced by the majority of viewers will be noticeably clearer and sharper. This change is part of CKWS's ongoing commitment to improving the service we provide to viewers. This digital signal - which provided high-definition viewing - is provided free over the air for anyone within range of our Wolfe Island transmitter."

[ underlining is mine ]

So are they going HD OTA - high definition when possible - already ? right away ?

I guess we will just have to wait and see. But it would be nice. Yes.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well 11 analog is gone forever... unlike this morning, I can barely detect a signal from Wolfe Island, but it is there (digital, 1.4 dB S/N).

I was expecting a lot of celebrating from all you guys who have been waiting for this for so long. You all glued to your TVs in awe of an HD signal? :D

101 - 120 of 152 Posts