Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
51 is no longer available for high power broadcast anywhere in Canada.
There is a reluctance to investing in equipment for any channel that is likley to be impacted by any clawback of spectrum for mobile use, so channels in the 32-36 and 46-50 range are not likely to be proposed.

WSPX has applied to move from channel 15 to 14, but I don't know the status.

The issue is that channel 2 barely covered Pembroke and Kingston as it is. I'm sure Global could use low pow power allocations on, say 32 or 38 in Kingston and 29 in Pembroke, it's just that adding transmitters on towers that need to be rented is more complicated than a solution that just changes some equipment on the already-owned Venachar tower.

There are allocations for 50 in Ottawa and Watertown. While the Ottawa one could be moved, the Watertown one would involve FCC negotiations.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Why is no one using RF48?
Nothing wrong with 48, other than it is likely to disappear in a mobile spectrum option down the road.
The post transition plan has allocations for ch. 48 in:

Hawkesbury
Kingston
Arnprior
Collingwood
Fort Frances
Fort Erie
Gerladton
Oshawa
Mattawa
Prescott
Timmins
Maynooth

There are also some LP stations or applications for LP stations on ch. 48 in Buffalo, Glens Falls, and Rochester.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OTA - Global Kawarthas CIII-27-1

AS of12:00 Noon (Yesterday 2013-01-09) they were up and running. But after 5 Pm there must have been trouble, as My ATAC equipped DVD player/recorder no longer displays a picture or audio. The carrier signal however, is 100%.:mad:

Appears that they may have a glitch or two.

·
Registered
121 Posts
AS of12:00 Noon (Yesterday 2013-01-09) they were up and running. But after 5 Pm there must have been trouble, as My ATAC equipped DVD player/recorder no longer displays a picture or audio. The carrier signal however, is 100%.:mad:

Appears that they may have a glitch or two.
This is esentially what I posted in the Kawathas thread...

Weds.January 9th,2013:

Aprox. 10 AM -Ch. 27 -analog -shutdown
Aprox. 11 AM -Ch.27 CIII-HD - up
Aprox. 1pm+-Ch.27 - 'full signal',nothing there.I discovered it had remapped to 41,1,41.2(physical : 27)
Late Evening: same above on 41.1 amd.2,I had 3 27.1s in my show/hide channels menu(Sony Bravia TV),and now,there was,and still is a 'test002' on 10.2(27) in 480i.

I'll be glad when they get it sorted out.I only wish Sony had put in a delete channel function.As it is,when it's all straightened out,I'll either have to hide the channels,or do an auto program to wipe out the mess they've created and lose all the tropo stuff I picked up a few summers ago! lol

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
CHEX Peterboroigh and CKWS to convert to digital by August 31, 2013

Corus' applications to flash cut the main Peterborough and Kingston transmitters was posted on the CRTC website today.

Feel free to comment on the applications on the CRTC website.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
^^^I don't think CKWS-DT will have enough power, especially given that it is staying on channel 11. The current plan doesn't even have the NLBC reach the Grade B contour. :confused: Optimally I would like to see the DUC match the Grade A analog contour resulting in the NLBC extending beyond the Grade B contour.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
^^^I don't think CKWS-DT will have enough power, especially given that it is staying on channel 11. The current plan doesn't even have the NLBC reach the Grade B contour. :confused: Optimally I would like to see the DUC match the Grade A analog contour resulting in the NLBC extending beyond the Grade B contour.
I spoke to someone familiar with frequency planning in the Kingston area, and he says because of the hilly terrain, many people in the area already have high gain VHF-High antennas on towers. Such installations are likely to suffer less from the underestimation of non-thermal noise contributions to overestimation of VHF digital coverage areas, and so there might not be an issue. (Only time will tell -- we know that WWNY needed to upgrade from 24kW to 42 kW and use channel 18 as a repeater to replicate its coverage in St Lawrence County just across the River.)

So it is worth keeping an eye on the situation. Certainly, people in the region who may have had trouble with WWNY at 24kW may want to intervene.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Good point tvlurker. Certainly one of the advantages of flash cutting. In the US, people got used to receiving DTV on UHF only and assumed they didn't need a VHF antenna. Many of the issues will go away with a proper VHF antenna. I am still not convinced that it removes all of the problems though. Even still, at minimum the NLBC should be equivalent to the Grade B contour.

Having repeaters in Brighton, "Prescott" and "Smiths Falls" should help many on the outer edge, though the repeaters will still be in analog.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great, just read this information on their website. It will be nice to watch the news and hockey in HD. It stated that it will broadcast on channel 11.1 but not if it will be 720p or 1080i.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
CHEX says OTA tranmission is coming...

OTA Update: As of December 2012, we have just received the corporate go-ahead for the capital purchase of OTA digital transmitters in Peterborough and Kingston. There are site surveys to be done, installations, and modified fibre feeds linking the transmitter sites, but we should be HD OTA by early spring 2013. 16:9, and full HD for our news program productions will commence down the road, and will depend on other upgrades.
http://www.chextv.com/general/High_Definition_TV_at_CHEX_TV.aspx

No word yet on OTA for Oshawa, but this is a step in the right direction.

41 - 60 of 152 Posts