Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

721 - 734 of 734 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
The Field strength varies inversely proportionaly to the square of the distance for a given ERP. In the case of a given distance, the Field strength will vary proportionately to the square root of the ERP (EIRP). Hence the relation follows a square law.

Expressed In dBuV/m the new field strength of CBRT-DT will be 1.0771 times the old signal strength.

References:-

http://www.softwright.com/faq/engineering/FIELD INTENSITY UNITS.html

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:SO2q93X6xFUJ:www.profilant.net/pdf/14101000/$File/Field%20strength%20vs%20radiated%20power.pdf!Open+&cd=1&hl=es-419&ct=clnk&gl=mx

http://www.compeng.com.au/emc_conversion_tables_power_calculator.aspx

Downbeat - Sorry for the confusion of my earlier post. The point being that the signal strength does NOT
increase directly proportionally to ERP for a given distance from a transmission source.
This neglects tower height and does not take into account increased ground absorption at UHF frequencies.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So is the CBC-Calgary transmitter now at full power? I didn't notice much difference. On my BellTV 9242 tuner its strength is the same as the other stations (not full 100%, more like 92-95), on my plasma it might have gone to over 90 from 75 or so, but I am not sure about the latter, since a very slight movement of the Terc antenna (which is on the floor, btw :)) has previously produced similar variations.
I am less than 2 kms away from the transmitter.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #723
Arthur D. It sounds like you are quite close to the CBC tower, in which case it is possible that most of the power from it's antenna is passing over the top of you at your home site. Therefore, I doubt that you will see a huge difference in field stength anyway. These large broadcast antennas are designed to create a Saucer shaped radiation pattern so unless there is a design flaw, the amount of signal firing downwards from a tower is small. As I said in my previous post, the measurable difference in field strength will be small. The folks who will see the biggest difference will live further away nearer the limits of the old previous reception area and beyond. Good Luck with your reception!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
It moved? I haven't been able to receive YesTV for quite a few days. I emailed the station, but they didn't respond, of course.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Global Edmonton gone ?

I can no longer receive ota Global on 013...my main source for viewing...can anyone comment ?...is it gone for good or possibly relocated ?..I tried a scan but nothing showed up..grrrr

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'm just north of Calgary and have lost all channels except CBC. I did a scan this morning and now there's only CBC. Global, CTV, CityTV, etc, have disappeared. Not sure what happened.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Greetings all, it's been a while since I've poked my head around here. Hope everyone is well given the present circumstances.
I dropped by to let everyone know that the spectrum repack has begun in Calgary.
A few weekends ago, I noticed the three stations broadcasting from the Harvard/Global tower were off the air. Only Global returned. As it turns out, the two Rogers stations had moved to their new channels:
City (CKAL-DT) has moved from physical channel 49 to channel 20
OMNI (CJCO-DT) has moved from channel 38 to channel 34.
I notice Global (CICT-DT) is also slated to change, but this has not happened yet. It's supposed to move from channel 41 to channel 22 or 25 at some point.
According to RabbitEars.info, the technical specifications for all three affected stations are changed to maintain their current contours.
Happy OTA viewing, everyone!

721 - 734 of 734 Posts