Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1941 - 1949 of 1949 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Horse pucky, CBC broadcasts sports in 720p and their picture quality is fine but not as good as WQHS who also broadcast sports in 720p who ALSO broadcast a subchannel in 720p and 3 other channels in 480i. The cost of transmitting on 2 frequencies rf20 and 25 far exceeds the cost of head end equipment to accomplish this.

Canadian broadcasters are living in the stone age due to protectionist measures supported by government. Rogers, Bell, Corus have a virtual stranglehold on the Canadian airwaves and they have no interest in delivering decent OTA because subscription services via cable/satellite and internet are their bread and butter.

If you are seriously concerned about your tax dollars and CBC programming you would write François-Philippe Champagne and demand CBC be held accountable for such wasteful behavior broadcasting on 2 frequencies when there is a ton of new equipment out there that would enable them to broadcast on one, deliver BETTER picture quality and save money.
Honestly I have written him, a couple times in fact. If they do anything with the ota signal on the CN tower it honestly should only be turning it off, however I'm sure this in a vastly unpopular opinion on an ota forum. If they had some atsc3 co-op with Rogers or TVO or something, somehow, magically, then I could support that I suppose.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Why not just purchase ...
You more or less just answered why this will never happen. Even to put together a study to determine if spending money now to reduce transmitter costs in the future needs seed money, taking resources from other work items, etc. Doing nothing is path of least resistance.

Nobody in Canada really wants to be in the OTA television business anymore.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Nobody in Canada really wants to be in the OTA television business anymore.
Pretty much.

Unless something like ATSC3.0 creates some kind of broadcast dependent killer app or something in a foreign country, I think it's pretty much done - unless there's a massive deregulation of OTA broadcasts by CRTC - and I don't see how that would benefit CRTC who surely want to auction more spectrum.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Pretty much.

Unless something like ATSC3.0 creates some kind of broadcast dependent killer app or something in a foreign country, I think it's pretty much done - unless there's a massive deregulation of OTA broadcasts by CRTC - and I don't see how that would benefit CRTC who surely want to auction more spectrum.
Just to clarify, CRTC does not auction spectrum, ISED does.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Here in Mississauga, I receive more OTA channels from the Buffalo area than from the Toronto and GTA area. We have a huge population base in the GTA, why are there so few OTA channels?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here in Mississauga, I receive more OTA channels from the Buffalo area than from the Toronto and GTA area. We have a huge population base in the GTA, why are there so few OTA channels?
I'm in the US so don't know your TV market area, BUT reading back through this thread, it sounds like other posters have made it clear that the key players of broadcast television in your area have all of their eggs in the cable and satellite basket - aka, they don't see any value in operating OTA stations when they make money in operating PAY TV outlets. Someone can correct me if I'm on the wrong track with that idea.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
exactly, and they all know this.
It would turn in to the same in the US if the only broadcasters allowed were Comcast, and Spectrum for example.
But none of this has anything to do with Buffalo / Rochester Station Status. So I don't know why they all get so hung up on it here in this thread.
Seems they should take their gripes to the 10 reasons to hate the CRTC or ISED Thread, instead.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Aw Majortom would you deny us what you cherish so much, the US Bill of Rights and especially the First Amendment?

Reactions: majortom
1941 - 1949 of 1949 Posts