Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1921 - 1940 of 1948 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
WDTB has been using an old database for their analysis though a conversation with the contractor. They did not consider CITY on RF18 and the database has old allocation of RF30 which was swapped with CFMT before the conversion. They're looking to move forward with RF18 and plan to place their new transmitter on top of the Seneca One Tower, formerly the HSBC Tower in the City of Buffalo. So this is likely to wipe out CITY in all of Fort Erie as the Seneca One Tower is a stone throw from the Niagara River. I can pull CITY with ease in Hamburg.
Not really sure why they're insisting on RF18 when they're likely going to have tons of co-channel interference in the city of Buffalo.
On a side note, when they shut down their RF29 broadcast, CKVP came back to life.
And that trash WWHC better not wipe out CBLT, I like my Hockey Night in Canada in HD. Which is also interesting because I couldn't believe when I found out that Charter Spectrum Cable would pull in CFTO and CBLT via antenna and then pipe it into their network. CFTO was removed because of going to RF8 and they just decided to ditch it. CBLT is still on the network, but it's SD only. If WWHC goes to East Aurora and RF20 that could knock CBLT off Spectrum Cable.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you can see the top of the Seneca One Tower from the top of the CN Tower.

Though there's something about the CITY signal that causes me problems indoors - and I can see the frigging CN Tower out the window! I can always get it by moving the aerial a bit, but compared to every other signal off the CN Tower, it's surprisingly problematic given I can get all the others fine, no matter what I do for an antenna.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you can see the top of the Seneca One Tower from the top of the CN Tower.

Though there's something about the CITY signal that causes me problems indoors - and I can see the frigging CN Tower out the window! I can always get it by moving the aerial a bit, but compared to every other signal off the CN Tower, it's surprisingly problematic given I can get all the others fine, no matter what I do for an antenna.
Same at my location. Its more unreliable than CFTO.

·
Registered
348 Posts
WDTB has been using an old database for their analysis though a conversation with the contractor. They did not consider CITY on RF18 and the database has old allocation of RF30 which was swapped with CFMT before the conversion.
This is not accurate. WDTB-LD did consider Canadian stations, and as their permit was granted by the FCC, clearly the Canadians government agreed.

- Trip

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is not accurate. WDTB-LD did consider Canadian stations, and as their permit was granted by the FCC, clearly the Canadians government agreed.

- Trip
Here is the TVIX data attached. I agree they absolutely considered Canadian stations, but it does not consider CITY on RF18, it still has CMFT as RF18 before they swapped with CITY in a 2019 approval.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Which ISED then presumably checked and signed off on.

Ultimately, when a station in the US is proposed, ISED does its own analysis. It doesn't matter what the US station puts in its application to the FCC.

- Trip

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
WDTB on RF 18 will be a complete disaster and failure of regulators.Same as CHCH RF 15 which is supposed to serve Niagara / Fort Erie as local station.Station contours should not over lap .

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
This is an easily solvable problem for Rogers. Why not just put CFMT-DT and CITY-DT on channel 30 and ditch channel 18 all together. Channel Zero and Crossroads could easily make an agreement to broadcast both CITS-DT and CHCH-DT on channel 14. CBLT-DT and CBLFT-DT could both use channel 25. The problem is Canada is wasting so much spectrum for single channel broadcasts. There is no reason to not share frequencies.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
WDTB Daystar is already on WBBZ sub channel .. WWHC RF 20 move to WGRZ tower should not be approved because its licensed as Olean ny station and such their contour would not even touch Olean NY.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is an easily solvable problem for Rogers. Why not just put CFMT-DT and CITY-DT on channel 30 and ditch channel 18 all together. Channel Zero and Crossroads could easily make an agreement to broadcast both CITS-DT and CHCH-DT on channel 14. CBLT-DT and CBLFT-DT could both use channel 25. The problem is Canada is wasting so much spectrum for single channel broadcasts. There is no reason to not share frequencies.
I don't know why everyone always suggests this like it's easy to do. They don't have that type of equipment installed and it would waste so much money (tax dollars no less for CBC) for no gain. Also CBC Picture Quality is already pretty bad, I don't really want it halved to share with CBC French. Lastly this is Canadian Spectrum (which there is actually lots of space in still) and we should use and protect it and not just hand it over to US stations for free.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I don't know why everyone always suggests this like it's easy to do.
It is easy to do. I'd say more than half of the stations broadcasting in the US multicast. I don't know how much it would cost to purchase the equipment to multicast but overtime, I'm sure it's cheaper to do that then operate two separate transmitters. I get that we have spectrum allocations for each region but we should be avoiding co-channel interference as much as possible. This should have been part of the plan for Canadian broadcasters but the reality is they don't care at all about OTA. They would probably shut all transmitters down at this point if they could get the regulatory approval. Look at CITY-DT in Woodstock as an example. Because they elected to remain on Ch.31 many people west of Hamilton can no longer receive WNED-DT. There is no reason for that to happen. Rogers already operates repeaters of CFMT-DT and CJMT-DT in London. Why not just purchase the equipment to multicast and use one of those transmitters? I don't think the CRTC will object to a coverage change. They rubber stamped Corus' requests for Global transmitter changes.

What's even crazier, away from Southern Ontario, there are still dozens of NTSC repeaters (Mostly CTV owned). How were these broadcasters allowed to keep operating NTSC transmitters after the repack? Sudbury, Timmins, Sault Ste. Marie should all have ATSC transmitters now. I think even CHCH still has an NTSC repeater in Sudbury and Timmins. They were forced to shut down Sault Ste Marie last summer because it was operating on Ch.38.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Because they know push come to shove, that pushing them to ATSC means CTV turning off the transmitter permanently.

What's an NTSC transmitter in Timmins and Sudbury going to conflict with?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I don't know why everyone always suggests this like it's easy to do. They don't have that type of equipment installed and it would waste so much money (tax dollars no less for CBC) for no gain. Also CBC Picture Quality is already pretty bad, I don't really want it halved to share with CBC French. Lastly this is Canadian Spectrum (which there is actually lots of space in still) and we should use and protect it and not just hand it over to US stations for free.
Horse pucky, CBC broadcasts sports in 720p and their picture quality is fine but not as good as WQHS who also broadcast sports in 720p who ALSO broadcast a subchannel in 720p and 3 other channels in 480i. The cost of transmitting on 2 frequencies rf20 and 25 far exceeds the cost of head end equipment to accomplish this.

Canadian broadcasters are living in the stone age due to protectionist measures supported by government. Rogers, Bell, Corus have a virtual stranglehold on the Canadian airwaves and they have no interest in delivering decent OTA because subscription services via cable/satellite and internet are their bread and butter.

If you are seriously concerned about your tax dollars and CBC programming you would write François-Philippe Champagne and demand CBC be held accountable for such wasteful behavior broadcasting on 2 frequencies when there is a ton of new equipment out there that would enable them to broadcast on one, deliver BETTER picture quality and save money.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
If Bell and Rogers had their way there would be no free TV. That means NO OTA. User pay is the way to go.

Reactions: nfitz

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
If Bell and Rogers had their way there would be no free TV. That means NO OTA. User pay is the way to go.
Bingo - I'm not sure OTA transmissions will even survive the next federal Conservative government, let alone worrying about what's analogue and digital. And ATSC 3.0 is a pipe dream.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
what does this nonsense have to do with Buffalo OTA Station Status?
IMO, every post from 1932 onward is a waste of bandwidth and could be deleted.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
what does this nonsense have to do with Buffalo OTA Station Status?
IMO, every post from 1932 onward is a waste of bandwidth and could be deleted.
In your H opinion ...

It has a lot of bearing on what one'd be able to pick up in Buffalo after their isn't as many Canadian transmitters. (and likely in Ontario, with less inteference).

Discussion was pretty much done ... and it's not exactly jumping here these days, as OTA is approaching closer to it's end-of-life.

1921 - 1940 of 1948 Posts