Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1841 - 1860 of 1863 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
WNLO/WIVB is definitely better. 300 feet of additional height really does the trick!
It is stronger now than WGRZ which is 5 miles closer to me. Not quite as strong as ION which is some 12 miles closer to me.

WBXZ I often get during typical tropo. Would be better on rf23 for me except it appears their new directional antenna isn’t as favourable to my direction as the old one.
Also it appears that they will be at reduced power until their new transmitter arrives, though I don’t see an STA for this.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
WIVB at the moment is at 30db SNR and 90% signal strength and WNLO is 32db SNR and 100% signal.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Very strange. At my location in Etobicoke I see no change whatsoever. WGRZ, WKBW, WPXJ all coming in well from South Buffalo. Grand Island transmitters all strong too. The signal strength of RF36 is too weak to lock. So disappointing.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Interesting that you get all those Buffalo stations but not WIVB rf 36?
I don't receive WPXJ but all else is great.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes WNLO and WIVB are the same signal. WIVB is just a sub-channel of WNLO.
Not sure why you are getting different strengths on the same rf36.

I believe they may still be woking on it. Perhaps occasionally lowering power.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Very strange. At my location in Etobicoke I see no change whatsoever. WGRZ, WKBW, WPXJ all coming in well from South Buffalo. Grand Island transmitters all strong too. The signal strength of RF36 is too weak to lock. So disappointing.
I'm not sure if this means anything but if you compare the Longley-Rice coverage maps between WKBW and WNLO, the entire Etobicoke area is yellow (Hard Indoor) for WKBW while for WNLO there are Red spots (Med Outdoor).

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I just figured it out. (y)

It's related to my RF35 Tinlee signal injector I use to get CHCJ. I unscrewed the cable from my Hamilton-aimed antenna into the injector and BOOM! The signal levels on both adjacent signals shot up dramatically. Of course that would leave me without CHCJ, so I dropped in a 6 dB attenuator and re-connected and while it drops signal levels slightly on RF34 and RF36, they are still strong enough to lock and so is RF35.

Now that I see what was happening, I probably could have received the lower/less powerful RF36 WIVB/WNLO but not at the same time as CHCJ. And now I don't need to worry about WKBW finishing their work. :cool:

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Nice EGC... I still wouldn't consider WNLO complete until a couple of nice weather weekdays go by without any major fluctuations as was noticed last week. I still see WKBW slightly stronger strength wise relative to WNLO here within LOS.
About the same quality when aimed right at em.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It appears Rogers is testing the New RF channels 17,18,26 and 30 for the repack. Just logos on the screen right now saying test. Can any of you guys south of the border receive them

·
Registered
704 Posts
Sorry, I think RF17 is Global and has a very strong signal but its not registering on my Scan but its there testing anyhow

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Still early and I doubt they are done there, but...
So far, no question, better than the Old CN Tower signals for those two transmitters.
Time will tell if things change for better or for worse.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The test channels on RF 18, 26, and 30 are stronger (SNR) than the channels they are replacing.

1841 - 1860 of 1863 Posts