Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1821 - 1840 of 1863 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
WIVB is actually off the air since Apr 2019. What u are seeing in actually WNLO, not WIVB. As technically WIVB no longer exists.
WIVB is certainly on air. It is a CBS affiliate Channel 4 and quite different programming from WNLO which shares the same transmitter as WIVB.

·
Registered
304 Posts
How do you know they are at full power and height? Where did you get this info.?
I got an email from WIVB last month that they were going to do this at the end of May. They have clearly done this earlier because I now receive WIVB with my attic antenna while with their lower power & height previously I never got any signal at all.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think a lot of posters don't pay much attention to the Hepburn maps which can really help with understanding reception. Right now we have a lot of instability in the atmosphere, some people will get great reception, some will get crap.

Once this unstable weather pattern passes I will be able to give a much better analysis of how my reception has changed with the increase in height and power. I'm in Kitchener, all the majors, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS are 24/7 stations during stable weather, CBS(WNLO) was one that since the frequency change seemed to get much more finicky with periods of pixellation or just disappearing, hopefully that's changed.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
WIVB is certainly on air. It is a CBS affiliate Channel 4 and quite different programming from WNLO which shares the same transmitter as WIVB.
No it is not, Lookup the callsign WIVB at the FCC, and you will see they no longer have a license.
They are just channel sharing on the back of WNLO (same owner). So, as I said, technically speaking WIVB no longer exists.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Not so sure they are finished yet, but I did hear on another forum WNLO did mount their new antenna last week, so it is close... Still don't see anything filed with the FCC notifying that their work is complete.
I don't see any difference here, locally. WKBW is also still STA at lower power and height, yet their present signal is
like 7 dB stronger than WNLO signal when aiming straight at them within LOS. If they were done, you'd think WNLO would be stronger than WKBW and it's not.

Aimed straight at 'em within LOS, 955Q Tuner reports...
WKBW 34 -17 dBm, 33 dB SNR STA 1143' 560 kW (H) ? kW (V) -> CP 1417' 660 kW (H) ? kW (V)
WNLO 36 -25 dBm, 33 dB SNR STA 1023' 560 kW (H) ?? (V) -> CP 1361' 800 kW (H) 200 kW (V)

Another Tuner I have reports
WKBW 34 -27 dBm
WNLO 36 -34 dBm

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not so sure they are finished yet, but I did hear on another forum WNLO did mount their new antenna last week, so it is close... Still don't see anything filed with the FCC notifying that their work is complete.
I don't see any difference here, locally. WKBW is also still STA at lower power and height, yet their present signal is
like 7 dB stronger than WNLO signal when aiming straight at them within LOS. If they were done, you'd think WNLO would be stronger than WKBW and it's not.

Aimed straight at 'em within LOS, 955Q Tuner reports...
WKBW 34 -17 dBm, 33 dB SNR STA 1143' 560 kW (H) ? kW (V) -> CP 1417' 660 kW (H) ? kW (V)
WNLO 36 -25 dBm, 33 dB SNR STA 1023' 560 kW (H) ?? (V) -> CP 1361' 800 kW (H) 200 kW (V)

Another Tuner I have reports
WKBW 34 -27 dBm
WNLO 36 -34 dBm
Another poster on the "other forum" also mentioned that they seemed to be switching between auxiliary power & full power depending on the time of day.

·
Registered
304 Posts
No it is not, Lookup the callsign WIVB at the FCC, and you will see they no longer have a license.
They are just channel sharing on the back of WNLO (same owner). So, as I said, technically speaking WIVB no longer exists.
Agreed to the "technicality".

·
Registered
704 Posts
Agreed, WIVB is really just a sub-channel of WNLO. They handed in their license when they sold their spectrum and agreed to go off-air. Signal strength for WNLO and WIVB will be identical. 1 RF CH36 and thats it. Also, no Canadian station can now use RF 36 if its anywhere near the border.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think a lot of posters don't pay much attention to the Hepburn maps which can really help with understanding reception. Right now we have a lot of instability in the atmosphere, some people will get great reception, some will get crap.

Once this unstable weather pattern passes I will be able to give a much better analysis of how my reception has changed with the increase in height and power. I'm in Kitchener, all the majors, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS are 24/7 stations during stable weather, CBS(WNLO) was one that since the frequency change seemed to get much more finicky with periods of pixellation or just disappearing, hopefully that's changed.
That map is really cool. This morning for me in Mississauga it showed fair to moderate & sure enough I got channels that are many times hit or miss. I'm sure it's more common knowledge in the Reception Results section but I never look there so thanks for mentioning it here. It will obviously be factor for anyone measuring signal strength to determine if WIVB is indeed at full power.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
They have clearly done this earlier because I now receive WIVB with my attic antenna while with their lower power & height previously I never got any signal at all.
I don't think this constitutes any sort of proof. Just a single data point. It's been a lot warmer than it's been too. That accounts for different reception results. In my case WIVB/WNLO is the same as it was in March and April - comes in on good reception nights here, other nights not at all.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Even while its been at reduced power my signal for WIVB/WNLO has been strong, so I cant tell or see any difference so far.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
As a matter of fact reception strength will vary hour by hour as the temperature swings up and down this time of season.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Same test as in post 1828,
WKBW RF 34 -17 dBm
WNLO RF 36 -19 dBm
So, WNLO seems quite a bit stronger today than yesterday, relative to WKBW.
But considering WKBW is also still at lower height and power, I still have to say WNLO isn't done yet.
I would expect when they ARE done, to be able to see it noticably stronger than WKBW, not weaker. Assuming they'll get done before WKBW does.

Edit: Same delta result (just lower levels) with the indoor biquad antenna here temporarily in the picture window.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I don't think this constitutes any sort of proof. Just a single data point. It's been a lot warmer than it's been too. That accounts for different reception results. In my case WIVB/WNLO is the same as it was in March and April - comes in on good reception nights here, other nights not at all.
When WIVB first moved to Grand Island I sent an email to WIVB thanking them from a Mississauga fan I received a nice reply from an individual there. When they moved to Colden last year I NEVER received WIVB under any condition (reasonably good attic antenna). I then read that they weren't at maximum height or power at this time. I wrote to my "friend" at WIVB mid-April and he said that the final step would be accomplished at the end of May. Then suddenly on May 18 I received WIVB for the very first time since last summer and have been seeing it quite consistently since. I know people have seen work on the antenna at this time because you can apparently see it when driving by the area. So they've definitely done something different this last week.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
WBXZ is indicating channel scan will be required as channel change is tonight..Today will be last day for WBXZ in Mississauga ..

1821 - 1840 of 1863 Posts