Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1847 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
HWP: Yes, it would be Industry Canada that would address international spectrum issues. Thanks for the clarification.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Both. The ball bounces like this (IC and CRTC 2-letter codes shown):

1. Broadcaster applies to IC with technical specs
  2. IC replies with technical requests/demands/changes (in concert with U.S. FCC if it is in a border zone)
  3. Applicant makes any last minute technical changes and resubmits to IC
  4. IC REfers acceptable application to CRTC
  5. CRTC applies "soft" (mostly non-technical) conditions of license on APproval
  6. CRTC hands APproved application back to IC
  7. IC gives final AUthorization to commence broadcasting.
  8. Station goes OPerational.

·
Registered
334 Posts
ERP is a computed value which can include HAAT.
ERP, as used by the FCC for television, does not take height into account. It takes into account TPO of the transmitter, losses in the transmission line or related systems that get the signal from the transmitter to the antenna, and gain in the antenna.

And I can't see such an application taking "years". Industry Canada has an obligation to address such applications in a timely manner.
I've watched plenty of international coordination issues take years to address, so it wouldn't surprise me, though Canada is usually significantly more responsive than Mexico.

Both. The ball bounces like this (IC and CRTC 2-letter codes shown):

1. Broadcaster applies to IC with technical specs
  2. IC replies with technical requests/demands/changes (in concert with U.S. FCC if it is in a border zone)
  3. Applicant makes any last minute technical changes and resubmits to IC
  4. IC REfers acceptable application to CRTC
  5. CRTC applies "soft" (mostly non-technical) conditions of license on APproval
  6. CRTC hands APproved application back to IC
  7. IC gives final AUthorization to commence broadcasting.
  8. Station goes OPerational.
Thanks for the clarification. I can never keep them straight, and will likely screw them up again in the future :)

- Trip

·
Registered
358 Posts
Re: ERP/HAAT,

The computed range (for allocation purposes in this sense, but also in reality) depends on both quantities. Raising ERP requires lowering HAAT (and vice versa) to maintain the same range.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
RE: ERP/HAAT My point was that there is a relationship (as Dave mentioned) between the two variables. Regardless, as mentioned, the station WNGS has approval to use an alternate transmission tower with a much greater HAAT.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Response from WNGS

Thank you for watching and sharing all of the information.
I will pass this to our Techs'.
We woud like to get a stronger signal into Canada and will be working on it in the future.
Regards,

David R. Luka
Vice President Of Sales
WNGS - TV5
4545 Transit Road / Suite 750
Williamsville, NY 14221
716-xxx-xxxx / Cell:716-xxx-xxxx / Fax:716-630-xxxx
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Ya can play around if ya want, to see how high from the present location it would take to get an LOS path close to ur neighbrohood. I've got SPLAT! running on my linux laptop now and installed these scripts from the Green Bay Professional Packet Radio Club. Pretty cool, they work pretty well.
I'll have to run it again to check, but if I remember right, there's barely an LOS path from WNGS to my house, when I ran the LOS Path script for WNGS's Lat/Long & Rad Center with my antenna at 35 ft.

http://cgi2.gbppr.org/linesite.main.cgi

http://cgi2.gbppr.org/longley.main.cgi

all found under this main link, with a bunch of other useful CGI Scripts.
http://www.qsl.net/n9zia/

·
Registered
690 Posts
By the way, WNYB has had a maximization application that's been in with the FCC for more than 2 years and still hasn't gotten approval. Same thing with WBNF, close to 2 years just to go digital. It's Industry Canada that's holding this up.

·
Registered
638 Posts
News from Rochester

If anyone is interested the local TCT channel 42 has added 2 sub channels. They now mirror 26 Jamestown in programming and appearance. Oh boy more Bonanza and petticoat junction!

·
Registered
334 Posts
By the way, WNYB has had a maximization application that's been in with the FCC for more than 2 years and still hasn't gotten approval.
The FCC sent WNYB a letter on March 8 of this year informing them that the 1000 kW application fails to protect two Canadian allotments. If they don't amend the filing within 30 days, it will be dismissed.

- Trip

·
Registered
638 Posts
Unfortunately its low power so it’s still a tropo like channel just like 26 is here.

·
Registered
690 Posts
WBNF which has been trying to get approval for digital conversion beams a strong signal at my location. 3 extra dtv channels will be welcome since WNYB is tropo for me. In all likeliness, I'll probably never actually watch it. They want to increase their ERP to 15 KW but with a more directional signal away from Hamilton.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
WNYB

ITS typical of Industry Canada to block WYNB and WBNF from powering up.WYNB used to be 5000kw analog ,see no reason why they can't go 1000kw digital.What fantom allotment are they protecting.The Canadian signals are so weak they don't go far.I receive both WNYB-DT and WBNF 15 just fine now.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
WNYB signal will never reach Owen Sound and Belleville is only possible with tropo. skip.Seems like a excuse and not technical.WNYB is already at 234kw so 4 times the power not that much difference.WNYB was on 27 with 234kw and did not here any problems with Peterboro area analog 27 which is much closer.Even the Toronto stations dont reach Owen Sound or Belleville or they would not have those repeaters.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If they allowed 5000KW on analog, then they likely wont approve anything above 500KW for digital. Which is only about another 3db towards my location. Likely still not enough.

81 - 100 of 1847 Posts