Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 1857 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Unfortunately Pearson International Airport (Toronto's primary airport) has their radar array enclosed in a large ball; you can't see it's rotation.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
YYZ is about 180° from my direction to WKBW's transmitter. Hmmm, WKBW is on RF38. Isn't RF37 for radio astronomy? I wonder if it's adjacent channel interference from somewhere! :eek:

I still find it weird that only the DTVpal's tuner complains about it.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Does CM offer software/firmware updates for DTV Pal?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Yep, 37 is still reserved for radio astronomy, but I've seen signal analyzer readouts that show KOMO-DT on 38 in SeaTac with no spillover onto or from 37, so I would expect the same in the Toronto area.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
It's always cool getting another free channel. 26 is very strong all the time for me- the one channel is strictly religious while the other shows some really old sitcoms like Bev Hillbillies and Bonanza which I don't mind watching with the kids- commercials are very short too. Just checked it out, and it does seem like 26.3 is kids stuff, but 26.1 was showing a movie which I didn't recognize.

Anyways, it's funny how quickly subs can come out of Buffalo, while here in Canada we just dream about them. Oh well, another US channel is being beamed into Ontario and the CRTC sits on it's hands, or is simply a puppet of Mr. Bell-Rogers...
WNYB 26.3 program listings are now included in Zap2it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Is anyone else having issues with 49.1. Picture is weird...like not all the colors are present and only hiss for audio. Here is the TSReader report, you can see the difference in picture to CoolTV below it.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Here we go again

Lin Television and Dishnetwork at it this time around, possibly affecting
Dishnetwork subscribers' ability to receive WIVB and WNLO in Buffalo.
So, might be some more people lookin for antennas around here.

http://www.linmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/LIN-Media-Announces-Retransmission-Consent-Contract-with-DISH-Expires-March-4-2011-.pdf

Saw this during the news this evening. A WIVB spokesman was talking about it in a public announcement type commercial, and the very last thing he says is not to forget that you can receive both of their stations Over The Air in High Definition for free with an antenna.

Here is the local station's spin on the same.
http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/business/DISH-may-drop-WIVB-and-WNLO

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Is there a trend unfolding here? Are BDU's in the US systematically trying to eliminate local stations to become exclusively specialty networks? Hmmm, Fox 29, MyTV 49, now CW23, WIVB 4 ! On the other hand, maybe the 700MHz mobile spectrum emerging at outragious ERP's will simply blow away OTA reception alltogether and open the door for more BDU specialty networks.

I'm not suggesting a conspiracy, but rather strategic business on the part of the BDU's.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I don't think there's any conspiracy. I was just pointing out the dispute in case it goes on for a while and ya start to see some folks around here lookin for antennas, etc. In the US Cable providers have to provide the OTA channels for free without the need for any external set top box, in their original form (meaning if OTA in HD, then On Cable in HD at the same resolution, unencrypted). Don't think that applies to satellite providers of course, since their service relies on an external STB. Dunno if Sat providers charge for local stations directly or not, but I'm sure if they don't the cost of it is "in there somewhere".

For the majority of users out there if the local stations weren't available on a given service, it'd be a "show stopper" for them, when considering providers.
So the local stations are just looking for their fair share is all.
Dishnetwork & Lin Television last hammered this out 3 years ago in 2008, so it's pretty common.

Wilspin: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-15/sinclair-time-warner-cable-reach-agreement-on-fees-averting-tv-blackout.html

BTW, now their public service message is mentioning using the OTA antenna as an option first,
then mentioning switching pay tv providers as an option last.:)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks MT. I guess I could have Googled that myself. Hats off to Broadcasters touting OTA first!

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
WNGS

Now that our digital transition is soon underway--and CKCO Kitchener has officially declined the use of channel 7 for transitional digital--it's time to "put the bug" in WNGS's ear:

WNGS, please apply for more ERP!!!!! Let this be the time that you embrace an enormous (compared to Buffalo and area) potential viewership.

·
Registered
508 Posts
From: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1158798&postcount=288
WNGS-TV said:
Canada wanted to make sure that the Kitchner allocation was protected and that is why we are lower power and have to limit our pattern.
Isn't it that as long as WNGS is on rf 7, they must always protect the Canadian CKCO allocation even though it will never be built? Maybe this will no longer apply once CKCO-DT13 is completed and final? Could be wrong though.
WNGS also has a very poor AGL height. (like 66m). Hopefully they can increase that on some tower at some point. That should help tremendously.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Even if they apply for more ERP it wont make much of a difference. They need more height, plus the application will take years to get approved because Industry Canada will drag its feet.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Isn't it that as long as WNGS is on rf 7, they must always protect the Canadian CKCO allocation even though it will never be built?
Close, but not quite, if I understand correctly. Until the transition, 7 in Kitchener needs to be protected, but after the transition, channel 7 is reserved in London for CBLFT-9, rather than in Kitchener.

I'm not really sure how that impacts WNGS, but since it's further away, I would expect it to give them some breathing room. It's also possible that the CRTC would want 7 protected as though it's in Kitchener, though that seems ridiculous in my mind.

- Trip

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Even if they apply for more ERP it wont make much of a difference. They need more height, plus the application will take years to get approved because Industry Canada will drag its feet.
ERP is a computed value which can include HAAT. Either way, they've already obtained approval for a higher antenna on an alternate tower. They've chosen to stay with the lower antenna mast to save costs and help protect channel 7's Kitchener allocation.

And I can't see such an application taking "years". Industry Canada has an obligation to address such applications in a timely manner.

61 - 80 of 1857 Posts