• Very unusual difference

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Hopeless

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 2.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.

OTA Station Status: Buffalo, Rochester NY (Closed - use 2011)

Tags
thecooltv
387K views 2K replies 225 participants last post by  majortom 
026163 said:
i've had both networks back for about a day now, WB hasn't changed at all, but FOX seems to be at a much lower power than usual. it used to come in at 100% in a number of antenna positions, but now it has to be aimed right at the transmitter and it only comes in at 60-70%

has anyone else noticed this?
I noticed last night I'm down from 95% to 80-82% on my Bell box.

videobruce said:
WUTV ...has increased their ERP
They now at 1 000 kW?

I find this strange, on my bell 6100 when WUTV was at low power their signal was at 95%. Now that they have increased the signal strength it has gone down 15%. However, this level matches WNLO's signal strength which has consistently been 80 to 82% with a 1 000 kW signal.

So why does a stronger signal result in lower signal strength?

Yaamon said:
From what videobruce describe did Fox switch and took over the old Upn transmitter/location of 1000kw and give the old 35kw to WB ?

So will the new CW23 be broadcasting 35kw ?
Yaamon,

WNYO (WB49) is moving to Grand Island. WNYO has nothing to do with WNLO. WNYO is owned by Sinclair along with WUTV. Videobruce said WNYO is taking over WUTV's old transmitter site on GI.

x4mer said:
WUTV had a uniform omnidirectional broadcast pattern when at 35kW.
You know what, when they were at 35 kW they had an EXCELLENT signal! People in TO, Hamilton and Ajax had no problems locking their signal. Imagine the difference in cost to operate a 1 000 kW station compared to 35 kW.

I think it's even becoming obvious that they're not simply "waiting" for UPN/The CW to ship them one, but they actually have to purchase one, since I read someone say something about asking for bids. In the grand scheme of things, this is likely a drop in the bucket to their total capital budget.

Let's start a Labor Day Pledge Campaign and maybe we can help them raise enough money to buy a NEW HD receiver.

I wonder if WNED had to buy their HD receiver or if PBS gave them one?

why wouldn't they show WB programming up until the 23rd? isn't that when UPN officially becomes CW and therefore continues on with most WB programming?
Because MYTV starts tonight:

Desire
(New) 8:00 PM, 1 hr
Tue 09/05/2006
WNYODT 49.1 (34)
Drama/Other
TV14, English, Letterbox, 2006

Debut: A nightly drama about family loyalty centering on two brothers (Zack Silva, Nate Haden) on the lam from the Mafia who both fall for the same woman. In the opener, New Jersey restaurateur Louis bolts to the West Coast with his mother and brother after having a liaison with the daughter of a mobster.

Haha Western new York... :)

dsspredator you said Nbc at 73% and you cant lock in, if you are using a preamp try a 3 or 6db attenuator.
I can lock WGRZ without problems, but the signal is rarely above 73%. On the Bell box it locks above 60 % (I think you have a 811). I'm not using a preamp just a 4228 and less than 100 ft of rg6. I think WGRZ is low due to co-channel interference with 32 on Grand Island.

Just curious as to what part of St Catharines you're in. Talking to someone from the Pen Centre area the other day, they gave up on digital OTA. My guess is the escarpment just above that area is blocking the Buffalo signals.
I have found that I have to turn further south for WGRZ than 4, 7, 23, or 29, otherwise I get breakup.
You and Yaamon are at least 400 ft higher than me. I'm 50 ft above lake level.

I'm right along on the Lake. The only problem channel is WGRZ. Every channel comes in close or above 80 % except CITY and WGRZ. It pisses me off that WNYB a channel I will NEVER watch comes in at 82% with the antenna facing South Buffalo.

And I can get CITY, but I don't have a rotor and I get the other 4 stations on the backside of the 4228.

dsspredator I understand why you are having problems with some station now, elevation does help greatly.

I forgot how did you mount yours can you post some pic or give some info.

Hmm how an you get more height a tower is expensive.

Yaamon, here is the Niagara elevation difference. From my GPS, my elevation at home is 83 m above msl. And I just happened to be in Smithville yesterday on top of the escarpment where the elevation is 100 m greater (185 m). I know the elevation is even higher in Fonthill.

As for my antenna, it is on a second story chimney mount with very few trees blocking Buffalo. CM 4228, 100 RG6, no preamp.

Buffalo signal strengths are (Bell 6100):
WGRZ 70%
WIVB 82%
WKBW 85%
WNLO 82%
WNED 90%
WNYB 75%
WNYO 78% (test signal)

thats around where I live. Do you think the higher elevation up here is what gives me the high results on Buffalo stations.

You live in an area with excellent elevation, therefore you should have near perfect OTA reception. Your only problem is trees whereas my problem is lower elevation, trees, apartment buildings and the escarptment.

But it is all good with the right antenna (4228).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.