Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

281 - 300 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I agree, would be much easier to cut the ties to windows and switch to linux, you could always run windows in a VM from within linux.
But honestly the only windows app I ever need to run is TsReader which I can use within linux no problem (via wine), by streaming the entire transport stream to the localhost IP (127.0.0.1), and select an RTP unicast TsReader source to parse if I need to. Normally I don't need to as most of what I want to see is available to me from within the updateDVB application I like to use.

I did try the XP machine, and TsReader + Aero-m yields a 'Quality' indication in percent, and a 'strength' indication in god only knows what. That's the problem I have with windows in general... when ya come across something that doesn't quite work the way you want, you the user, can't change it.

I have the development tools here to work with the generic ATSC TsReader Source dll that comes with TsReader. Just not the programming knowledge to go with it:)
I had to modify it once for the inDtube a long time ago to get that to display snr in dB in TsReader.
If I get a chance I will try hackin away at it again for the Aero-M

·
Registered
556 Posts
I can absolutely confirm that the Hauppauge Signal Monitor does work with the Aero-M: I have used it frequently for the past couple of years. I run Windows 7. The benefit of using it with the Aero-M, as opposed to the 950Q I also have, is that it shows S/N ratios from 0 dB up, so you can see evidence of signals at much lower levels than the 950 Q (or the 1250 I also have).

I did have to uninstall all my previously-installed Hauppauge software (and use their 'cleaning' utility) before installing the s/w that came with the Aero-M to get it to work. After doing that, the signal monitor won't work with the 950Q any more.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Yeap, you are correct, I was only looking in the TSReader app itself.
The Signal Monitor app just has to be run while your tuned to something.
It doesn't do any tuning. Won't have any indication of "Strength" though, but does display SNR in dB,
which should suffice.

Maybe what I can do sometime for TsReader is convert the Quality percentage result to SNR in dB by comparing the SNR
lookup table values from the Linux driver. Change the TsReader ATSC .dll to have them displayed in dB indirectly, would be specific for the Aero-M obviously.
As I think the last time I looked, Microsoft's BDA command for reading "Quality" via BDA results in an integer value corresponding to percentage.
Could then use the signal monitor to validate and see that it makes sense...
snippet from Microsoft's BDA developer pages...
http://pastebin.com/UFNbCmFu

·
Registered
200 Posts
Flint Ridge,

I have all of my computers setup to triple boot Windows 7, XP and Ubuntu Linux. I partition my hard disks with 100 GB, 50 GB, 40 GB and all of the remaining space as 4 primary partitions. I install XP in the first partition then make an image of it. Next I install Windows 7 in the first partition. Once I have Windows 7 installed, I restore the XP image to the second partition and delete the 40 GB 3rd partition. I boot Ubuntu from a live DVD and it installs to the 40 GB “free space” and creates a boot manager that allows me to boot into whichever OS I want to use. I still have Corel Draw & Electronic Workbench that I run on XP and Office 2010, Seagate Disc Wizard & my Hauppauge software that I use with XP & 7. Other than that, Linux does pretty much everything else I need.

If you have a spare hard drive to play with, you might give something like that a try.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'll try uninstalling everything and redoing...

What, pray tell is the led on the unit for? It never seems to be "on".

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I might have to wait till I can receive Kitchener again, but the LED might be used for an ATSC-MH signal Lock indicator??

You have to be running a DVB application first. The Signal Monitor doesn't do any tuning, remember...
Tune to a station, and THEN run the Signal Monitor Program...
It's like a man in the middle hook directly to the frontend I guess.

·
Registered
504 Posts
MH signal lock, that would make sense.

Must be stumbling over something simple as usual. Launch Win-TV, tune channel, run Signal Monitor and above was what I got.

But, I'm re-installing & rebooting, etc in the hopes of resetting.

What is a DVB application?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Not using Win 7 here, but...

Try running the signal monitor as Administrator in Win7, but again while you have something tuned.
It may need admin rights to have the access to the hardware that it needs.

DVB -> Digital Video Broadcasting

DVB app, general term I would use for any application that deals with Digital TV.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Running as admin was a no go.

Worked on re-installing and received error - Windows requires a digitially signed driver... no valid signature... get with mfg of driver...

I'll revisit this tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
If you still get that error tomorrow, let me know. May need to get Win 7 in to "Test Mode" which lets you run unsigned drivers. I have had to do that with other DVB drivers for a different device.
But I can't imagine this device requiring that.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Is Win-TV considered a DVB device or should I install another type driver?

Numerous errors trying to remove and re-install, multi-attemps, but all re-installed and still same situation.

Yikes, closing WinTV yields, "Unhandled exception.. " and pages of data beyond that in detail. Access to the path C:|settings.xml's is denied.

Ok, that killed it entirely and won't run anything now... no tuner recognized by WinTV.

Does not want to allow me to uninstall either, "could not open install.log file"

Will not even detect the device anymore - ah, lucky me.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Installed on other computer, will run the basic WinTV7, no signal monitor.

Still won't recognize it on main computer to even install it now.

Email to hauppauge sent.

Tried to install again with drivers from site. States, "WinTV Board not found. No WinTV Product was detected, please make sure the drivers are installed and re-run setup. Setup will now exit. Hardware Model Found: 2"

I was trying to run setup after loading drivers.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Spoke with customer support, worked through device manager, uninstalling, reloading drivers, rescanning for device etc and.... magically it works - with the Signal Meter. Clearly the issue was it not picking up the device for whatever reason and therefore not actually updating any drivers.

Thanks all for nudging me down the right paths.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Flint Ridge,

For what it's worth... You would think that having a signal strength meter and tuning for best signal strength would be the way to go. That's counter to what I've been finding at my location although on the majority of my channels they do coincide. I have several channels where I get pixelation with my antennas oriented for best signal strength and they break clear when I reorient the antennas for best SNR. Usually 1-2 bars lower. My Samsung TV only displays signal strength so when I'm rotating my antenna array I use my computer and the Hauppauge HVR-1800/SNR meter to optimize the final antenna parking. Works better for me. Using my Software Defined Radio (SDR) spectrum analyzer I can narrow the span to a portion of a single channel and see that the signal strength lowers but can't see any reason I should be receiving the channel better. Glad you finally got up & running.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Pete, you are correct, my error. The Aero-m does have the SNR in db, which is what I was really after.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
A TV and a Signal Level Meter for the Price of a TV

My latest SONY TV, a KDL32R400A, has made yet another change to the Diagnostics Screen.

That's correct, it says QAM256. I didn't have OTA/8VSB signals available when I took the Diagnostics Screen photo, but it still shows the measurements for either digital signal.

It almost seems that the engineer who designed the Diagnostics Screen had read ATSC A/74, because 100 on the signal strength scale is about -8 dBm, and dropout is about 23 on the scale which is about -85 dBm. That means each number on the signal strength scale is about 1 dB. So you have a TV and a SLM (Signal Level Meter) in one package!

I also made OTA/8VSB measurements that enabled me to produce a calibration chart for the KDL32R400A. When I got to 100 on the signal strength scale, which was -8 dBm, I decided not to increase the test signal any more because it was a new TV!:)

What's really nice, is that anyone who buys a Sony with that Diagnostics Screen setup, also gets a signal level meter with 1 dB resolution, Errors (BER), and SNR, which would be very useful for OTA antenna experiments.

Note that the dynamic range shown by the signal strength scale is much greater than shown by their previous TVs which used a scale derived from the AGC voltage. My guess is that this TV uses an IC like the RSSI.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Digital Test Signal Source

rabbit73,

When I got to 100 on the signal strength scale, which was -8 dBm, I decided not to increase the test signal any more because it was a new TV!
I still have a B&K Model 1077B Television Analyst that will generate an analog test pattern signal on channels 2 – 13 & 14 – 83 that I used with a B&K Model 415 Sweep & Marker Generator for alignments.

What are you using for a digital test signal source?

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
One of my strongest OTA signals that has a nice flat waveform across its channel, and is a very stable LOS signal.
Code:
                                                                       TV 
                                                                     / 
ant > preamp > 50'RG6 > pwr inserter > attenuator > amp > splitter >
                                                                     \
                                                                       SLM
The noise added by the amps doesn't matter, because I was only measuring the top of the signal with the Signal Level Meter.

The second amp was removed for the weaker signals.

Although the TV would have been able to handle signals stronger than -8 dBm without damage, I didn't see much point in going there because signals that strong will produce IMD spurious signals in a preamp or tuner that will damage weak signals, and the SONY Signal Strength Scale had maxed at 100.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Unless you're within a stone's throw of a TV Tower...and maybe not even then....I don't think you can PHYSICALLY DAMAGE a Preamp (or TV Tuner) input with "TOO" strong a signal. Highest TVFool I've ever seen is about -10 dBm....plus Antenna Gain....yields about 0 dBm signal, which is only ONE MILLIWATT. It would take somewhat MORE THAN 1 Volt on the input of the RF Transistor to actually DAMAGE it (MOSFET/HEMT typ. 5-10 VDC, perhaps 1-3 VDC with low-voltage Integrated Silicon Tuners). If Max Input was 1 VDC, this would be MORE than 13 mW (V^2/R), which is MORE THAN +10 dBm....NOT gonna happen.....

281 - 300 of 329 Posts