Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

OTA Rotors: Channel Master, Yaesu, Hy-Gain, AlfaSpid, Others

387K views 1K replies 203 participants last post by  go4it 
#1 ·
Yaamon said:
Can the new rotor be programmed the ones I remember was a dial that you turn and when the ghoast images went away on analog channels you stop.

I have seen customers tape number on them to let them know where to stop.
You can still get the old ones with the dial but the new ones use a programmable digital box and remote control. The control box is made by Pioneer for CM and uses the same codes as a pioneer cable box... this allows you to use the "cable" mode on your TV or OTA box to control the Rotor too!
I have it programmed so my Samsung OTA's remote works the Rotor too!!!

Channel Master CM 9521 rotor pakage with remote and digital control.

See less See more
#2 ·
Rotor & Chimney Mounting Advice

I'm planning on moving my attic mounted Channel Master 3010A-Stealth Antenna with a CM7778 pre-amp to the roof and add a new rotor.

I'd appreciate any help/advice for the following:

1) If the CM 9521A would be the best bet (performance) for my money?
2) Any recommended stores in Mississauga (GTA) that sell the channel master 9521A rotator (or suggested alternate).
3) If mounting the antenna to the side of the chimney, will the smoke or heat from the flue damage the antenna/rotor or cause any reception problems? The 3010A instructions note to chimney mount the antenna 10' above the roof.....would they be referring to the roof peak as the bench mark?

Thanks

#3 ·

If you have a brick chimney that’s in good shape you could use antenna mounting straps and secure a 10 foot mast to it. This would put the antenna and rotor well above the smoke and heat that will be coming out the chimney top.

Stampeder had done up a list of local suppliers... it's on here somewhere. BTW where is stampeder these days? Must be on holidays

#4 ·
Rotator for CM4228?

Hi Guys,

are any of you running a cm4228 with a rotator in around the GTA? Just wondering if it presents any problems in the cold winters (in terms of freezing when the freezing rain hits)... Also - is there any preference to a rotator? Unfortunately I was only able to find one in a local thesourcecc/radio shack which I'd rather not purchase from...

thanks

#5 ·
CM Rotor

Try Hosick TV on Jane.
They always have them in stock.
Make sure and buy the CM one that has a remote control, because I bought
cheap and had one with a manual rotor control inside the house and it wore out in 1 year.
The one with remote has no moving parts to wear out on the unit thats inside the house. Do yourself a favor and get that one.
I learned the hard way.
Stimpsonjcat

#7 ·
OTA Antenna Rotors, Towers, Masts, and Mounts

I think I might have a bad drive unit.

Twice I have noticed since I installed the rotor that when it's cold outside at nights and I went to move the antenna the receiver says its moving but the antenna is not.

I tested it with a digital meter but did not see any volts coming out while it shows that it was moving ?

I brought the control unit to work and tested it with another drive unit and it moved it properly.

I then bought home a another rotor kit last week to replace mine and decided to hook up my old control unit and test it again, damm it worked all last week and over the weekend. :confused:

I went to reposition the antenna last night as I noticed that Nbc was a little weaker than usual and its not moving.:confused:

Tried again this morning no luck going back before lunch to replace the drive motor. :)

Does anybody know what outside temp is the drive motor arted for. Has anybody experienced any problems during our Canadian winters ?

#8 ·
Ok just came back to the office.

Figures I moved the antenna from inside and it working again. :confused:

I knew I had to do replace the drive unit before snow starts to accumulate on my roof. I replaced the rotor and resync the previous controller that I was using.

Will see how it goes over the next few days. If I can't move the antenna then, I will swap the controller with the new one.

I contacted my local distributor to get the parts exchanged.

I looked inside of the old drive unit and did not see any trace of any moisture or water marks.

Hopefully Iam ok now.

#9 ·
It uses 30 volts AC... Not DC so be sure to have your volt meter set to AC. There are 3 wires... one is ground and the other 2 are the drive direction.

Between the 2 drive wires in the control box is a big capacitor. All they do is swap the polarity of a capacitor around... this changes the phase delay between the 2 wires and is a simple way of reversing an AC powered motor. Because of this it might give you some strange readings when you use a volt meter if you’re not aware of how it works.

Anyway this is a bad time of year to have a problem with the motor so I hope it’s just the controller in your case. My CM motors been running fine the past 2 years… they seem like good units.

#10 ·
Yaamon said:
Does anybody know what outside temp is the drive motor arted for. Has anybody experienced any problems during our Canadian winters ?
They should be good for Canadian winters down to at least -40c.
But you do seem to have a unit thats sensitive to cold. Last night was the coldest yet this winter reaching -12c. I logged this from a remote temperature sensor up on my antenna tower... I also have a wind speed and direction sensor up there too so I know what’s going on.

#11 · (Edited)
Please Help!

Tonite I was using the rotor control unit. BTW, it is an ArcherRotor 12-1225, if that helps. Well, it has been giving me problems. The rotor outside works fine, but the controller unit seems to make a cranking noise and the dot does not seem to stop turning the antenna when the arrow reaches it (Hopefully that makes sense to you guys). Damn, this just started tonight. Does this mean I have to buy another control unit? If that is the case where could I buy one what do you recommend??

Ok, I followed Stampeder's directions and I now know where to go if I have to buy one, but could you please recommend a good controller for an existing rotor?

#12 ·
HDTV101 thanks for the tip. I did not even think to set the fluke meter to ac as normally most stuff that uses a ac transformer outputs dc volts.

I swapped the drive unit by 12pm before the snow fall yesturday, :) did not want to be on a roof while there is snow or frost up there. Too dangerous for me.

Anyway last night I tired moving the antenna all last night and so far so good.

I noticed that when there is bad weather like last night I have to reposition the antenna more south east for Nbc all other stations were fine.

Usually I end up pointing at 170 to 175 for all stations to be 10 out of 10 and Nbc at 8 to 10. But with bad weather I noticed that I have to respoition the antenna between 155 to 160 to get Nbc at 8 with Fox droping to 8 to 10 and all others are 10.

I thought that the drive unit would have a reed sensor like the old c band satellite actuators. So if there is a problem it would display actuator error and more precise in position. Instead the controller displays that its moving while it is not.

HD you have too much time on your hands :D to install sensors up there, but you know what I think I might just add a temp sensor next spring.

Mark2074 if your control unit is going bad the channel master wireless remote and controller maybe compatible with your rotor. On their web site is says compatible with Radio Shack 15-1225

#14 ·
OTA Towers and Rotors Thread

Guys,

I need help to understand why my new controller unit will not synchronize with my rotor drive unit. The funny thing is a couple of days ago it was doing a full 360 degree rotation. Now, it stops at 200 degrees, but the display says 360. I connected the old rotatory control unit to move it 360 degrees and it does. Then I attach the CM9537, preform a sync and it will be off again. It wouldn't bother me otherwise, but I want to get A-Channel (analog) from Barrie and 200 degrees does not bring it in clear enough.

Does the CM9537 have a feature that allows you move it further so I can set the it to proper 360 degrees? I don't understand why this is happening, it worked on Wed and Thrus. Now, the rotor is about 10 years old and I don't know the brand and the colder weather has been giving me trouble with the drive unit. But it will work with the old drive unit, but the older unit is broken and I have to hold the dial so the meter with move.

Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you

#15 ·
Rotor housing itself probably needs turning up on mast

I think the rotor up on the mast is not aligned properly since the CM9537 needs it to be at a certain fixed orientation from installation time. If it was a Channel Master rotor it would have arrows on the mast holder and the housing that must be pointed due south before you hook up anything else. If yours doesn't have that, you could scribe the housing and the mast with a centre punch or metal file as your starting point and then try turning the rotor itself 160° in the proper direction and then do a sync to get the rotor and the brainbox in harmony.

Geez I hope its possible for you to get back up to that rotor safely. ;) Judging from its age you might need to scrap it. I used to have one made up of old parts from others and it was a waste of my time.

Another idea is that the rotational stopping point might have been set at 200° from the factory although I don't know why it would be saying 360°. Have you tried clearing it or resetting it to a different azimuth? I've never seen this BTW.

My hunch is that the first point is the problem. The controller and rotor are 160° out of whack.

EDIT: I forgot to add that once you have the rotor aligned you will need to re-aim the antenna on top of it so that it also points exactly in the right direction as the rotor and controller have agreed on.

#16 ·
Stampeder,

Thanks for the helpful info. I have decided that the rotor itself is the problem. This evening proves again to be difficult for the unit(due to the cold evening)it does not even respond anymore. I will have to replace the driver.
:(

That being said, I need a little more advice. Now from what you've seen from my photos I have a fairly large tower. The weather is cold and snowy these days and I will not be changing it myself. Will it be even possible to find someone to replace the rotor this time of year? If so, will a ten year old combo antenna be worth it to keep, or should I change that too? The last installer said that with time the joints of the antenna eventually corrode and so does the efficiency. Is this true? The last installer that change this antenna gave me a used rotor (which I think was a big mistake) I don't want to go back to him again. I don't think I can trust him. Could someone recommend someone in the GTA to do this work. Someone they have dealt with recently and are reasonably priced?

#18 ·
Stacking 4228 and load values - CM says not without a support

I called Channel Master and got confirmation that

the load rating of the 9521 rotor is not designed to support two antennas in a stacked configuration.

For those who have used it it may work but it will put additional load and stress on the motor. I dont know how much or fast it would reduce the life expectancy of the motor especially during our winters when we have heavy winds and may also encounter ice build up.

What he suggested was to use a load bearing support.

I don't think we have to use the guide wires if the pole is enough to mount both antennas.

Stark sells them for $20.00 http://www.starkelectronic.com/rotor.htm#tb105

This spring I might try stacking 2x4228 to test if I can get WB49. If I can't get WB49 I will end up using a single 4228 antenna, as I currently get excellent reception from Buffalo and Toronto.

Reactions: stampeder
#20 ·
Next Step Up In Rotors? Yaesu or other HAM Radio models

Jaygeetee said:
...had quite a storm come thru last night and my rotor very is erratic this morning.
My back yard is full of cedar deadfall from that storm, but my CM4228 seems to be rock solid though.

Joe, if you think you might need a stronger rotor than your OTA TV model check out Burnaby Radio for a quote on one of their Yaesu HAM Radio rotors:

http://www.burnabyradio.com/dhtml/index.html

HAM rotors can be really expensive compared to most OTA TV gear, but they sure do the job for anyone thinking of running stacked arrays or dual/triple antenna mounts, and the higher end ones have a fast and slow variable speed control for precision slewing:

http://www.yaesu.com/?cmd=DisplayProducts&DivisionID=65&ProdCatID=104

Any HAMS out there who prefer or recommend other brands or can vouch for the Yaesus?

#21 ·
9521a controller reads 227

Before I return my new 9521a rotor I'm asking for help.
Ran sync a couple of times and everything was fine then just before assembling antenna outside I tried the sync again...it homed north fine then stopped at 227 degrees on return.
So now instead of going to 360 it stops at 227. I have unplugged power and did a clear memory 91dn arrow with no results.
Thank You for any help...Joe.

#24 ·
The ArcherRotor brand name sold by Radio Shack were all made for them by Channel Master. Many of the rotors here use a 26vac 2-phase AC motor... The motor will have three connections; common (ground), and the two phases... In the controller unit there is a 130-uf/50vac capacitor connected across the two phases and the 26-vac signal is then fed to one or the other motor phase connections... The other motor phase is developed through the capacitor...

#25 ·
Rotator turning backwards

Never noticed till now, had antenna installed over 8 yrs ago !!!! When I turn the rotator counterclockwise (north to west) My antenne actually turns clockwise (north to east).
I have a channel master 9510A rotator with 3 wires connected to it. connection #1 (black0 #2 is (red) and #3 is (white). Do I only need to change teo of the wires to make it rotate the oposite way ? Which ones ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.