Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1001 - 1016 of 1016 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi DXer, wouldn't happen to still have the broken eagle aspen kicking around and be willing to 'donate' to a guy for cost of shipping of course, to use for diseqc projects would ya?
Sorry, no. Although it had ceased turning the antenna, when I stripped it down and bench tested it, I could find nothing wrong. It failed in mid winter, and I didn't retrieve it from the roof until spring, so I concluded it must have just been frozen. It currently waits to live another day turning another array 😊

It was such a great rotor compared to others in that price range for its accutate positioning system that when it failed, I wanted to buy the same model to replace it. As you well know, I discovered they were no longer available. It is so frustrating that all the good OTA gear of yesteryear is progressively being replaced by inferior products.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Digiwave AR500 rotator data and tweaks

I don’t post often but thought I would add some data to the forum, if its not already known. This may help with future troubleshooting and preventing problems before they occur.

I purchased a AR500 Digiwave rotator from Lowes.ca for $123. It arrived within 24 hours and I proceeded to look it over. My experience has led me to make sure Chinese made devices work before installing so I removed the bottom plate from the drive unit to look it over. Case serial #1000501

The first thing I noticed was that three of the four 3\8” cap screws that hold the motor unit mounting plate to the case were loose by several turns each, only one screw was tight. I removed these screws completely and removed the motor assembly plate for inspection. Pleasantly surprised to see that all gears were metal and lightly greased with a white grease.

I measured the voltage of the 2 AA that came with it for the remote control and found one was dead, indeed the bottom of the cell was corroded, the other cell read 1.56V (normal)

Things found and fixed:
1 – The metal arm that sets the drive backlash only used one screw though there was a second threaded location for another screw which I added.

2 – The motor wires, #30 gauge or so looked like they could break with vibration so secured them with silicon caulk so they cannot move.

3 – Used removable loctite (#242) on most screws and nuts and reassembled the unit.

4 – Greased the main bearing (under the large rubber ring) as there was no grease. This is a machined aluminum bearing surface that rides on a stainless steel shim.

On the bench I measured the operating voltage and current to the motor on all 3 wires. Connected to the controller.
All measurements are with a Fluke model 83 multimeter and are 60 Hz AC, both rotation directions are shown, 3 feet of #18 wire were used for the test:

AC Voltage
Terminals 1,3 20.1 V, 20.5 V
Terminals 2,3 25.2 V, 20.1 V
Terminals 1,2 35.3 V, 35.3 V

AC Current
Terminals 1 628 mA, 786 mA
Terminals 2 631 mA, 782 mA
Terminals 3 648 mA, 652 mA

Stalling the motor produced very little increase in these current value, perhaps 50mA or so

After running the unit on the bench for 4-5 minutes I read the temperature of the motor winding and found a max of 53 degrees C using an IR thermometer.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
New Channel Master 9521HD Rotor

I need a rotor that will handle larger antennas. Anyone have experience with the new CM rotor? From what I've read in some reviews it is sturdier than the model it replaced. Will it handle something as big as the Antennacraft HD1850?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nexxtech motor with no control unit

I bought a Nexxtech antenna rotator motor at Value Village the other day. It did not come with the control unit though. It's a 3-wire motor. I was hoping to just get "any" 3-wire control unit and use it but I'm not sure if any would work. I asked channel master and they said they can't guarantee that their control unit will work with my rotator motor. Does anyone have "mis-matched" success stories that they can share? I suppose I could hunt around until I find a working Nexxtech control unit but I may never find one! Thanks.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
In theory, any should work, 3 wire controllers run a motor in the controller, and switches to shut it off when the motor and switch position match. The rotator and controller motors are just in parallel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nexxtech = Orbyx = Channel Master?

I was looking at some old posts from 2006 and there was a discussion about the same issue I'm having (see my above post). I bought a Nexxtech antenna rotator motor at VV but it didn't come with the control unit.

It's a 1501245 which I believe Radio Shack and The Source both sold. I just want to make sure if I spend $80 on a new control unit that it's going to work.

Also, I saw a link from 2006 for the manual to this Nexxtech unit. Does someone still have the manual they can give me a link to? The link from 2006 obviously doesn't work anymore.

Thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Be aware that there are rotor controllers advertized quite often on Kijiji, of all vintages, for much less than the cost of a new one. In fact, there are complete rotors (motor and controller) for less than $80 usually.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member questions here....

I have a Wade antenna 604-RC control box part 994058 (on box)

Units marking is a "Delhi remote programmable antenna rotator 604-RC"

3 wire unit to rotator

What is the voltage they use and can a remote for it be sourced

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
88 Posts
Being told the Channel Master CM9521HD no longer available in Canada . Also being told when supply is sold out the unit is no longer being produced ...Tariff's??

·
Registered
49 Posts
I need to move my antenna a few degrees at a time for fine tuning.

Does anyone know if the Channel Master CM9521HD is precise enough for that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rotor Identification Help

I have recovered a rotor from a neighbour's disassembled tower. Rotor only, no controller. It has "model AD-17" on a label on the bottom, 12045 stamped into the case and 12046 on the mast mount. Screws rusted on bottom plate, have not been able to open it yet? Forum and Google search as yielded no match on model number. Does anyone have any idea of the manufacturer?

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Saw some Model AD-36 antenna rotor control boxes made by Electrohome on '********'
Perhaps that's the matching control box for it?

1001 - 1016 of 1016 Posts