Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
481 - 500 of 1022 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
You should be OK if it is not at the top of the mast. I wouldn't go more than 5 feet.

I'm pretty sure I've read that the unit has plastic drive gears, so you want to keep the wind loading to a minimum. The antenna will stay synchronized longer also.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Channel Master 9521A Rotator

Hi,
Thank you for that info I didn't know that. The Antenna is approx. 4' from the bottom of the mast. Hope that won't damage the Rotator. Is there a stronger Rotator that will last alot longer out there that will do the same as this Rotator? Please let me know. Thank you again for all your help.
Ted+

·
Registered
420 Posts
HeyJohn,
sounds like a good idea. Only thing, how do you lock the bearing to the mast? The hardened steel would be difficult to drill through or do you use the lock collar? Would need a really good fit for the lock collar to work.
I could make up a plate using one of the old bearings for a guide (to line up the mounting holes etc.) and to make sure it is centered. Those factory plates are a bit on the thin side anyway.
Might have to mic the mast to make sure of the exact diameter and then size up a bearing... the more I think about your idea the more I like it!
-C.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Channel Master 9521A Rotator

Hi,
Is there a better or Stronger Rotator that will last longer than the Channel Master 9521A that you don't have to mod. if so where can you get one in Mississauga Ontario or the westend of Toronto? Please let me know and if Channel Master makes a Much Stronger or Better one than 9521A.But the same type that you can program it.
Thank you in advance.
Ted+

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The stronger rotors are Yaesu and Hy-Gain, which are made for the ham radio market and are discussed in this thread. You pay more for the quality though. Most of them are programmable and some of them even have a "fine" aiming control too for best accuracy. The torque, braking and locking can be excellent too. Again, beware of sticker shock on the high end models. ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Antenna Tower & Rotor

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I just went to a local scrap yard and found myself a CM 9512 rotor and a 40 foot galvanized antenna tower (excellent condition) for $20 bucks. Did a quick test over the weekend with the rotor controller and it works like a charm.

A quick update on my current setup, I have a chimney mount about 30 ft. off the ground with a CM 4228HD, CM 7777 pre-amp, and digiwav rotor and digital controller.

As I only have the CM 9512 rotor (found at the scrap yard) and not the controller, I managed to get it to work with the chinese made controller. Did the test for the CM 9512 and found that the digiwav controller is off by 2 to 3 seconds on a 60 second rotation. Go figure, that explains the inconsistency with my antenna pointing. In any case, I may decide to swop the digiwav rotor with the CM 9512. Anyone know of the realibility of the old CM 9512 rotors and does it matter if I use the digiwav controller with this rotor?

I know it's not much higher, but I figured if I put the tower up with a 10 foot mast, I should be able to get the antenna up to about 50 foot off the ground. I'm hoping to get consistant signal for the buffalo stations and aiming to get Ion, and Qubo for the kids.

Anycase, I highly suggest that the local metal scrap yard is a treasure trove of goodies for our OTA needs.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
The great thing about Hy-Gain is that their design hasn't changed much over many decades. Therefore, if you can find a decent used model--even from the 70's as I did--Hy-Gain still sells every single part for their rotors (including from the CDE era).

I don't have much experience with Yaesu, but I imagine that parts for their older resale units can be found as well...

If you're looking at the resale rotor market, I recommend buying off HAM operators. They tend to be more technically-inclined, and thus maintain their equipment very well.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I haven't gone to their web site yet but it's probably a Nexxtech, made in China of mainly plastic, so it would be suitable for one antenna like an M4 or CM4221HD that is not exposed to a regularly heavy wind load. I bought one a couple of years ago for a friend and it has been fine. This is a light-duty rotor. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cham, the mast goes thru the inner race with a slip fit . They come in different inner diameter sizes.(I had to grind it out a little) . It basically is for lateral loading. The princess auto catalog has the same thing on page 67. Flange mount with bearing. They might have it online at their website.

·
Registered
420 Posts
HeyJohn,
Could you please pm me a weblink for that Princess Auto bearing?
I can't seem to find it in their on-line information.

I looked into the HD flange mounted bearing at a local ag dealer and seems interesting; I would need the bearing to have 2 3/16ID to fit the the mast, and the lock ring would work fine to lock the mast to the bearing inner race. Would make a very heavy duty professional installation...
-price; flange is about $25, bearing is $40 and a special order (no return?). Locking ring is $5
-would have to make a plate to mount the bearing to and mount to the tower on top of the original plate (I don't think I want to drill out the original top plate to fit this bearing)
-I see a potential problem with water collecting on top of the bearing seal/flange area. Freezing would eventually compromize the seal. Pumping it full of grease twice a year (or more often) would mitigate this but would result in a greasy mess on the top plate? Maybe there is a cover of some sort to protect the seal/bearing and keep moisture from running down the mast above the bearing?
Tnx..
-C.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Rotor Maintenance

I got a CM rotor, less than 2 years-old, and I rarely use it.

Do these rotors need periodic exericse (use) to keep them loose and longlasting? Will it cease up if I don't use it atleast once a month?

Or, will it last longer the less I use it?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I take it no answer is no- doesn't make a difference, but I would think that the more you use the rotor (and the little motor), the more likely it will wear out.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
@goforit: Difficult question to answer. I've pulled similar rotors off ancient towers. The owners have told me the equipment hasn't been used in decades, yet I could still get it to work just fine.

The difficulty comes from evaluating the quality differences in devices made in the 70's, vs. what Channel Master is selling today. Though my understanding is that the head unit isn't the weakest link in the Channel Master rotator system: The control box is.

So I'm going to surmise, based on my experiences, that you should be just fine. Assuming that the component quality is near the calibre of the units made decades ago...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
@goforit: Difficult question to answer. I've pulled similar rotors off ancient towers. The owners have told me the equipment hasn't been used in decades, yet I could still get it to work just fine.

The difficulty comes from evaluating the quality differences in devices made in the 70's, vs. what Channel Master is selling today. Though my understanding is that the head unit isn't the weakest link in the Channel Master rotator system: The control box is.

So I'm going to surmise, based on my experiences, that you should be just fine. Assuming that the component quality is near the calibre of the units made decades ago...
Jase88, or anyone else...

Rescued an old Channel Master rotor + control box from a roof job some friends and I did yesterday. The motor was initially siezing up (even under no load when ya unscrew the motor drive). After a little WD-40 on the motor's end bearings, followed by a short blast of white lithium grease, it now works fine. Seems to be synced up OK.

Any preventive maintenance type advice for these things? I've never used one before. Thinkin if there's something that should be done, now's the time while it's warm out and while i still have it on the ground.

The homeowner said they originally installed the antenna system in 1992, so I'm guessing the CM rotor system was manufactured ~ 1990/1991 or so.
Would that be old enough to be of decent quality?

Shoulda seen the uhf / vhf combo antenna the guy destroyed before I had a chance to rescue that:( Looked like a monster, boom was a little longer than a Ford Pickup's Bed.
I shoulda taken a picture, sure all you guys woulda recognized it.
I'll probably stumble on a pic of that antenna here someplace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rotor Issues

I got a CM rotor, less than 2 years-old, and I rarely use it.

Do these rotors need periodic exericse (use) to keep them loose and longlasting? Will it cease up if I don't use it atleast once a month?

Or, will it last longer the less I use it?
I have an antenna that was installed circa 1993. The rotor was used every once in a while until around 2000, after which it was not used for 4-5 years.

When I attempted to use it after this hiatus, the control unit appeared to function as normal (made the buzzing sound), however the rotor did not move the antenna at all. Fortunately the antenna is stuck pointing in a somewhat good direction.

I left it alone until now and I'd like to get it working again to compliment my OTA setup.

The Control unit is a Channel Master 9510A.

Here's a video of the rotor in action. Note that the antenna position indicator (the gold coloured rectangle) does not move. When I tried to use the unit about 1 years ago, the indicator would move, despite the actual antenna not moving.

Also the buzzing is not consistent, previously, the unit would make a continuous buzz sound until the indicator reached it's destination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOqFI_UQUyQ

I don't know the make of the rotor, but here are a few pictures of it:

And another up-close pic:
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/7941/img1739x.jpg

So I pose these questions for you knowledgeable folk:
Can anyone identify this rotor?
What's likely wrong with my rotor and control unit?

Thank you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
rotor issue

your outside drive motor is a channel master 9510,i would suggest trying a new control box,any 3-wire channel master , crown or archerotor will work with it.i have 4 of those exact control boxes sitting in my garage,they are bad for the contacts burning out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rotator Controller Install

Hello I need help I have an old antenna with a rotoator on it; it has a three wire cable going into the living room but my problem is that my rotator controller has five screw terminals on the back. Am I able to use this controller (Orbit 360) to control my antenna rotator motor?? Or do I have to go and buy a new setup.

Can anyone Please help me?:confused:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You need a new controller comaptible with your rotor, likely one of those aformentioned archer/crown/CM types.

The controller you have needs feedback from the rotor somehow. It might be riggable, if you want to play around a bit.

481 - 500 of 1022 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.