Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1021 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
9521a controller reads 227

Before I return my new 9521a rotor I'm asking for help.
Ran sync a couple of times and everything was fine then just before assembling antenna outside I tried the sync again...it homed north fine then stopped at 227 degrees on return.
So now instead of going to 360 it stops at 227. I have unplugged power and did a clear memory 91dn arrow with no results.
Thank You for any help...Joe.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Jaygeetee said:
...it homed north fine then stopped at 227 degrees on return.
Is the rotor lined up with the arrows on the housing pointing due south? You may have lined it up with the arrows pointing at 227. I have some further info for you when you're ready.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thank you for pointing ME in the right direction Stampeder...not sure how 227 degrees got programmed into the controller but entering 360 continued the complete sync. Working fine now. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The ArcherRotor brand name sold by Radio Shack were all made for them by Channel Master. Many of the rotors here use a 26vac 2-phase AC motor... The motor will have three connections; common (ground), and the two phases... In the controller unit there is a 130-uf/50vac capacitor connected across the two phases and the 26-vac signal is then fed to one or the other motor phase connections... The other motor phase is developed through the capacitor...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Rotator turning backwards

Never noticed till now, had antenna installed over 8 yrs ago !!!! When I turn the rotator counterclockwise (north to west) My antenne actually turns clockwise (north to east).
I have a channel master 9510A rotator with 3 wires connected to it. connection #1 (black0 #2 is (red) and #3 is (white). Do I only need to change teo of the wires to make it rotate the oposite way ? Which ones ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
rotator normal now !!!

Jay....

Thanks works (rotates) properly now. Didn't want to (test)change any wires in case I damaged the unit. Best to ask first.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Does your rotor move when the temp below 32'F or 0'C

Since Nov and the cold weather I had to reposition my antenna at 160' for max signal on Nbc.

A few times at this position Fox would fluctuates enough on the Samsung tuner that it would pixelates and drop out, but fine with the LG and the tuner in the Jvc tv. Since then I have rewired the feeds to the recievers. Before was using a 2 way splitter one feed for the bedroom LG with 2 more 2 way splitters to cut down the signal to the Lg. The other feed going outside and into my basement into a 3 way splitter.

The 3.5db port going into the Jvc tv and one 7db port going to a Dish 811 with attenuators totaling 9db. The last 7db went into the Samsung 451 and loop out to a Ati HD card.

I rewired it two weeks ago that a 3way splitter in the bedroom and the 7db into the LG. The other 7db output to the Dish 811 with the same attenuators 9db. The 3.5db into the basement into a 2 way splitter one going to the Jvc and the other output going to the Samsung.

Basically the Samsung gets -7db of signal vs -10.5db.

This was not a big deal since I dont really watch the Toshiba tv in the basement where the Samsung 451 is connected.

Anyway I decide to try and move the antenna towards 175 to 180' last week and it would not turn in any direction.

Brought home a new rotor on Friday from work and was going to get up on the roof on over the weekend and change it.

Tried to move the antenna Sat morning, it did not move. I decide to try again to move the antenna, this was around 1pm and it moved.

The antenna moved. :confused:

Is there a problem with the 9521 rotor kit, as this is the second rotor that does not move well when the temp gets below freezing.

The other rotor when I took it down there was no rust or water inisde the housing.

The seals on the rotor is fine. Is there anything that can be done to improve the performance, better sealing ?

I emailed channel master today to see if there is a bad batch with the rotors.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My rotor refuses to move for the past few weeks, at night, it worked once during the day i assume the sun might of helped. I just bought this thing in November, so your not the only one.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I havnt had any problem moving my rotor atop the 60' tower, It could be there has been moisture inside and has frozen.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
tricky said:
I havnt had any problem moving my rotor atop the 60' tower, It could be there has been moisture inside and has frozen.
This is what Iam thinking but I wonder if there a bad batch from channel master that the seals are defective.

When it gets above freezing it works so that proves there is moisture that might be causing the problems ?

If you can move yours when the temp is below freezing there must be a reason why some of us is having problems.

If the tech guy from Channel Master that I have been emailing does not respond tome by tomm I will call him.

·
Registered
373 Posts
same problem at night.

My CM 9510A rotor sometimes does the same at night. Contrroller turning but, antenna is not. My system has been on my roof for about 8 -9 yrs. Daytime it always works.
Looked at seal yesterday no cracks and seemed still flexible. ? Sure seems like cold nights affect it .

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Zenith ZENRTR1 rotor sometimes doesn't work either. It's only a month old.

What the H-E-double hockey sticks is going on with these things?!

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
I bet there is a problem with the batch of current rotors.

When I called Channel Master and enquired about it the person said no we dont have a problem we have sold thousand and have not heard anything back. :rolleyes:

Yea what companies would admit that they have defective products. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's another contestant on the "Is the Channel Master 9521 rotator a dud".

I installed my first rotator in early/mid december. Temps were above zero and we had some rain. It worked great until the temps went back under zero. It seemed to work fine during the day and would seem to get stiff at night, moving at less than half it's normal speed, and would go out of sync because of this. Thinking it was my cable, I braved the cold and replaced my cable with a 5 strand 18 gauge cable. Of course, it was nice and sunny that day and it worked a treat. The next morning I tried it before going to work and it was back to its useless self again. I took it back under warranty, much to the surprise of the dealer ("we never have returns on these").

Luckily, we had a warm January and I got a window of time where I was able to climb onto my roof without killing myself. It worked perfectly and continued to do so until it rained last week. So now once again, I've got a useless rotator on my roof. My guess is that moisture gets in them and freezes.

So, bottom line is that these rotators are only good if you live in a warm climate. Maybe we'll all have to install small heaters in them to keep them warm and dry :rolleyes:

I am so thoroughly unimpressed by Channel Master right now that I'm going to stop here before I say something about them that will get me banned from this forum.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Web Store for Ham-level Rotors

If you're running heavier TV gear (such as for Deepest Fringe) up on a mast with high wind load you might want to consider a Ham-radio level rotor like a Yaesu or Hy-Gain. They're available in shops across Canada like Burnaby Radio in BC, but if you need a web source you could try this one:

http://www.rotorservice.com/prod1 rotor sales.htm

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Rotors: Archer, Channel Master, Yaesu, Hy-Gain, Zenith, Others

This thread is for discussion about Archer, Channel Master, Yaesu, Hy-Gain, Zenith, and other rotors and related information.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Looks like a channel master to me :) I bet they might even come from the same factory.

21 - 40 of 1021 Posts