Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
old sparks posted a great document to one of the Antenna R&D threads, especially for us here on the Wet (West) Coast of Canada and the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. :D Here in the OTA Forum over the years we've certainly discussed the attenuating effects of rain and fog within the Fresnel Zone, as well as seat-of-the-pants observations from those of us who live amidst these damp, soggy winters, but it is good to see test data dealing with the question of how actual water on the antenna elements themselves affects reception performance:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1221585&postcount=11

The tester analyzed only yagis, so would it be difficult to extrapolate the effects on bowtie reflectors and other antenna configurations from his data?

Anyone have opinions on that?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Very interesting results which will have some effect on antenna design. I suspect that wet element effects will extend to other antenna designs to some degree, at least. Maybe those older 14-69 UHF designs are better performers in wet weather than the new 14-53 deigns. At any rate, make sure any antenna does not have a sharp drop off above the desired frequencies.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
At any rate, make sure any antenna does not have a sharp drop off above the desired frequencies.
The Y10-7-13 and the YA1713 would be interesting candidates to test wet, if someone had those who also had a weak channnel 13. :)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I am in exactly that position (weak 13) and will be looking for Channel 13 and channel 6 antennas this Summer. I suspect that the channel 6 water effect will be less pronounced but it is also very weak.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Anyone have opinions on that?
I think the diameter of the wire will have a lot to do on how long the wet effect lasts. As will the surface roughness. And the angle of the dangle, heh.

In my case, snow will stick to the old 3/8" aluminum tubing on my antennas, whereas Ive never seen any snow stick to the 6 ga copper or 8 ga newer aluminum driven elements. Of course, most of the wire of the driven elements are on a sloping angle and most of the 3/8" elements are horizontal, so that also comes into play.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
I suspect that the channel 6 water effect will be less pronounced but it is also very weak.
Most commercial vhf-low antennas (not channel specific) Ive seen were designed to also include FM (because it was easy to do so), so you may not be able to notice the effect.
However, on those antennas, you may be able to notice the drop off at the top of the FM dial.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts