Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

401 - 420 of 662 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
300sflyer,
Provide some details of what your trying to accomplish, and maybe someone here can help.
What stations specifically are you talking about? Digital, Analog, Both?
Canadian, American, Both?
What are the details of of your TV receiver? Make / Model? PC Based Tuner??

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Updated Buffalo Channel Logos

Was playin around getting the PC Tuner goin again on a newer PC,
and had to dig up all these channel logos again, setting up the EPG for
GBPVR, and NPVR. Figured I'd upload 'em to google and share 'em in case anyone else ever wants 'em.
They're updated with CoolTV for WNYO and ThisTV for WNGS, and are named as per the way Zap2it Names 'em.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1k4YjsB3lG6ODViNmI1NDEtNjYxNy00YzJlLTgwYmYtZTljNjJkNjhmNDQ5&hl=en&authkey=CJiFtO0N

Think they are 132 x 99 pixels.

edit: oh yeah and to get listings for ThisTv I used Cleveland's WUAB-DT2
on zap2it.

hmm, says share with everyone, no sign in required, can ya try it again??
\/\/\/\/\/

·
Registered
2,410 Posts

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
thx for the confirmation.
BTW, Here's the zap2xml scraper I've been using for OTA
to create my xmltv.xml for epg import. I have it set to grab
two weeks worth.

http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

When I get some more time, gonna get my homebrew TsReader
XMLTV export scraper working again. It uses TSReader & Perl Scripts, but it's
useful to create ur own guide in situations where there is no internet
connection available to gather it from external sources. Limited to
what is broadcast OTA, which varies from station to station, but it's
better than nothing.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I tried the link today and it works fine. :) As a MythTV user I tend to turn off the option of using logos, but its good that they are available to those who use them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Online channel guide for OTA Toronto?

Hi. I have OTA in Toronto.
I signed up at zap2it but can't see the following channels.

2.1, 2.2, 2.3 WGRZ
4.1 WIVB
7.1 WKBW
29.1 Fox
29.2 CNTV
49.1 WNYO
49.2 CoolTV
51.1 Ion
51.2 qubo
51.3 Ion Life

Anybody have any experience with finding complete OTA listings online?

I could use some help. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Zap2it.com is a website where you can create a logon and password and program a "what's on listing" for TV programs customized to the channels you receive. People living near the border who want to get the opposite country's TV stations listed might have to trick the system by temporarily changing location to a zip/postal code in the opposite country.

Once you have created a customized list all of your channels you can set it to remain logged in and save it to your favourites. From then on anytime you want to know what's on TV now or anytime in the next week or so, you can just click on the zap2it icon and get a table of all the shows on.

It is an very handy tool for TV watchers if you don't have an HTPC with a full programming guide. It is a great replacement for what most of us older people might remember as the TV TIMES magazine that used to come one-per week in the daily newspaper.

Pitman:

Go to your zap2it profile. CHANGE LOCATION select a new Buffalo zip code (use 14150). You will be given some more available channels to select to add to your list of favourites. Once completed, change your location back to your home postal code.

If you have time, send a friendly e-mail to the zap2it people giving them your postal code and a list of stations you get OTA so they can eventually get around to updating their database for your area for future customers.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Zap2it with my Canadian Postal Code will be complete very soon

Zap2it is just about complete in adding all Western New York (incl. Rochester, WNGS, etc.) and all GTA area stations to my Postal Code - M8Z3M1.

Feel free to use it. It appears that Tribune Media is responsive to requests made by TiVo subscribers (I guess since we pay them for the program guide data).

All channels are there now except these 4 - WROC, WHEC, WHAM, WNGS. They too should show up very soon.

·
Registered
223 Posts
TVGOS

I thought I would post the reply from Panasonic about why my TV Guide On Screen can't repopulate now that I've gone OTA.

"There is no update available on the TV for the TV Guide on Screen feature. The TV has two tuners – NTSC and ATSC. The TV Guide works with the NTSC tuner, which is analog. "

At least it keeps me from trying to make it work and complaining to Rovi Corp.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
just fyi, updated the google docs link from post # 403
re: the Buffalo OTA TV Logos.zip
file to include The Country Network from WUTV 29.2.
same link should work. TCN shows up in Zap2it Listings too now BTW.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
All WNY/GTA digital OTA channels now on zap2it for M8Z3M1

Update to post 412 - Tribune Media has added the 4 channels I mentioned to M8Z3M1. A complete set now. :cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
No TV program information for OTA?

I found that on my TV, the most Canadian OTA channels have no information about the programs, except for SunTV, or maybe CBC, and CTV.

Global, CityTV, Omni 1 & 2 have nothing but channel names. While all channels in USA have details about the present and next TV programs.

What's wrong with those Canadian TV channels? They think people don't need it at all?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
lunear, there's several threads on this topic in this forum. I personally contacted all the broadcasters in question on this topic (plus the bad psip time data) back in about 2007/2008 and the answer was basically "we don't have to do it so we won't". I checked with the CRTC and Industry Canada and they confirmed it - they told me it was the station's option. :rolleyes: The opposite is true in the US - they do need to provide accurate time and a minimum of 12 hours of program data.

I still encourage people to contact the station. It's the only way to let them know that there's people who want this. I think it would be in their own best interest as it's free advertising for their current and upcoming shows, yet many just do the bare minimum the authorities prescribe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Want a TV Guide? Can you say $,$$$ ?

Doubt you will find a TV Guide it in anything the size you have in mind. Its only the large screens that have it. These are the TVs currently selling which have what you want. http://www.rovicorp.com/support/13350.htm

For whatever reason less and less of TVs produced today have this very neat feature. Fortunately I got one of the last mid-market Sony's with this feature. I love it! Now only the most expensive sets generally have it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Samsung ln40c650

I was going over the rovicorp list of tv's with guides and I like the Samsung LN40c650. It is the only one in the size and price range that works for me. I have seen it locally for $798. I downloaded the owners manual and it doesn't say if it has an analog tuner or not. Under the fine tuning section it does say you only need to use this feature with analog channels but they could be talking about analog cable tv. Does anybody know if this TV has an analog tuner or not? I'm sure if I asked the salesman he probably wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. Here in London most of the channels are still analog and even post-august there are still two stations out of sarnia that will still be analog. Not only that but I noticed on the Rovicorp website the guide is only available in analog in London right now. Hopefully someone can fill me in on this because I really like this TV. Thanks

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
when ur in the store bring a paperclip to use as an antenna, hehe.
naw serious, is there such a thing as a TV WITHOUT an analog tuner?
somehow I doubt it.

401 - 420 of 662 Posts