Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 489 Posts

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
The one way that degrade is appropriate is uncorrected bit errors occurring in one link will be propagated to the next.

·
Registered
738 Posts
... The only flaw is you assumed only one link will will be down at a time, if outages were random, the difference would be insignificant, but there is a good chance the outage is weather related, and more than one link will likely suffer from the same weather conditions.
You are correct about simultaneous link failures changing the overall reliability of the system. I decided not to deal with it in my "simplified example of transmission system reliability."

·
Registered
738 Posts
The one way that degrade is appropriate is uncorrected bit errors occurring in one link will be propagated to the next.
Under normal path conditions, the forward error correction in the ATSC standard should permit the receiver to detect and correct errors. Degradation should only occur when the path is operating near threshold conditions.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
^^^Agreed (that is why I said uncorrected), but considering the link is going down due to bad weather, they are likely operating near threshold conditions at least some of the time.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
^^^ Which transmitter? Toronto seems fine...

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
It seems to me that the process that knocks the signal down to SD is automatic...whereas getting things back to HD appears to require human intervention.

We've had snow squalls in southwestern Ontario today...it wouldn't surprise me if they're the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
I'm sure this has already been confirmed: But just to clarify, you're seeing 480i SD 4:3 being sent as the native channel resolution, and simply not standard definition 4:3 programming, right?!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm sure this has already been confirmed: But just to clarify, you're seeing 480i SD 4:3 being sent as the native channel resolution, and simply not standard definition 4:3 programming, right?!
My DTV tuner tells me if I'm receiving SD or HD. Right now TVO from Windsor is SD. If the HD signal is working, the tuner tells me it's HD, even if the program is 4:3 SD.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
^^^^^^^^^
Cool. I figured as much...just confirming...
TVO definitely needs to improve their delivery method for Chatham and Windsor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I get both Kitchener 28.1 and London 18.1 for TVO at my location, London is SD as well at 480i and no PSIP the last time I checked. So looks like London, Chatham and Windsor are affected.

141 - 160 of 489 Posts