Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
461 - 480 of 507 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: mr.eous comment

Regardless of their location and nationality, large bureaucratic non-profit organizations are typically run for the benefit of those working there, as opposed to any other reasons.

·
Registered
95 Posts
TVO channel changes in Windsor and Chatham.
From tvo.org....
Due to government mandated transmitter updates, TVO’s over-the-air signal is changing this June in Windsor and Chatham. As a result, TVO’s channel will change in these areas and audiences who receive TVO’s signal through antennas will have to re-scan their TV sets to continue receiving TVO over the air.

Please refer to the schedule below to see how you may be affected.
Windsor
Off air June 17 at 11:59 pm and on air June 18 at 6 am on new channel 19. (6-hr outage).
Chatham
Off air June 21 at 9 am. Will return on new channel 22 in July (check back here for updates).

https://www.tvo.org/about/tvos-over-the-air-signal-is-changing-in-windsor-and-chatham

·
Registered
490 Posts
TVO CICO-dt-53 not following repack phase 3.
They were suppose to switch from rf26 to rf22 by June 21. Now we are into phase 4 and they are still broadcasting on channel 26.
I’ve searched everywhere for amendments and extensions that might indicate why but can find nothing. I believe they may be in breach of their obligations. Perhaps no one cares.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
The CKCO repeater in Oil Springs has been in violation of their change of frequency obligations since 2011. I suspect that CTV will shut the transmitter down rather that put any money into it. They've done so elsewhere.

I suspect TVO is a similar situation. They wanted to shut down many of their OTA transmitters but did not due to public objections. Due to government financing cuts, TVO does not have the money for transmitter changes or upgrades. The money for maintaining OTA transmitters takes money from other areas such as programming purchases and it's starting to show.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Here's a useful link, specifically Sections 7 and 8: BPR-11 ? Broadcasting Television Application Procedures During the 600 MHz Transition - Spectrum management and telecommunications

Not sure I'm reading it right, but it seems like they can stay on rf26 on a "secondary basis" as long as they don't cause enough interference to primary assignments on rf26, and they won't be protected from any interference caused by primary assignments. It also seems like they could be in danger of losing their rf22 allotment after 30 days? It looks like WPBS26 Watertown is having trouble making the Phase 4 deadline (387 viewer) and WGCE26 Rochester is later in Phase 10.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Many phase 4 stations not going to meet deadline.Certainly when WPBS Waterdown switches to RF 26 with TVO Belleville still on 26 will cause a massive area of interference between Belleville and Kingston.They both could be delayed.Info. from Canadian regulators is very lacking .

·
Registered
490 Posts
Thanks Orbit for the link!
Very helpful!
I read through it and it’s a bit complex. But it sounds possible that they may continue to operate on current channel as a secondary assignment giving up their primary status. Which means as long as they are not causing issues with any protectected primary stations they can stay on current assignment.
Since the closest Canadian station will be low power CJMT on 26 in Toronto there likely won’t be any reason for them to abandon 26.
Even it they get the boot they likely be glad to go off air.
I’ll be happy if they stay put.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
My mistake, thanks for the info. I got confused when the aux antenna pdf attachment in one of the 10WBs was for WDPB on channel 24, but I admittedly didn't read the other docx attachment.

·
Registered
95 Posts
TVO Belleville has been MIA for me in Peterborough since WPBS moved to 26.
Are they still on the air? Lowered the power?
They were scheduled to move to RF22 but that allotment is hardly better with WXXI there now

·
Registered
5 Posts
Living in East-end Belleville and can confirm that TVO is still operational. My big issue is the loss of WPBS, thanks to the tardiness of TVO to convert to its new channel allotment. All of the other full power Watertown stations are coming in clearly. I also see a good signal on WROC that was always an issue when it was up higher on the UHF band.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It seems that Canadian stations only need to follow repack if they are causing issues with other Canadian stations on Canadian soil.
Hopefully they are waiting for a better option, because RF22 that they were suppose to go to is the same as WXXI Rochester.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the idiots at the CRTC would get their heads out of their asses, we could have extra channels on each frequency, like the Americans. Here in Belleville, we're still stuck with that monstrosity of RF6 CTV Ottawa that is still in analog. We have no local CBC or CTV OTA channels left in the Belleville/Kingston corridor and this would be a wonderful opportunity to add CTV, CTV2 and CBC on one frequency. A total waste of bandwidth, with the ability to get 4 Global transmitters and one TVO locally, it's overkill. Seems so ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous when you consider the CBC channels being scrambled on C Band to boot. We're paying taxes for what? Oh yeah, Propaganda.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes 16 would be a better choice, though not ideal because of WNYO will be using 16 from Grand Island.
It almost seems to me that TVO Belleville is broadcasting a weaker signal since repack.
I now need to point directly at it to get it. And sometimes like right now it’s not coming in at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is just a guess on my part, and I have no proof that this is the case - CBC is going to add a Radio One transmitter on 104.7 MHz at the Read site, and install a new antenna to combine with the French service that is already there on 94.3 MHz. I wonder if TVO has reduced their power because there is (or will be) antenna work going on??

461 - 480 of 507 Posts