Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 289 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Also bear in mind that Okanagan Lake is dotted with TV and Radio repeaters as opposed to just the mothership stations so maybe that accounts for the missing items, maybe not.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I... don't get it.

Back in 2009, CHAN-TV (Global BC) had a full-time repeater in Kelowna named CHKL-TV, while Kelowna had a station CHBC-TV affiliated to E! Then Canwest wanted to shut it down, but turn it to a local Global station instead...

What's the point of converting to digital both repeaters CHBC-TV-1 and CHKL-TV-1 in Penticton, BC, if the programming is exactly the same? Are they expecting to sell or convert CHBC to something else in the future?

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
The programming isn't identical. CHBC has some local programming (news). Maybe the thought is those from Vancouver with cabins in the area want the Vancouver station, where as the locals will want the "local" station.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
But it still seems to be a waste of bandwidth. They could multicast the Vancouver news on a subchannel (especially since it is unlikely that the CHBC news is in HD.)

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you have the infrastructure to do it, then why not? I would think you would have two ASI streams coming from Calgary master to feed the Kelowna transmitters. So happy to see UHF.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
There is the issue of whether running two identical programming streams complies with the Broadcasting Act's intention that the broadcasting system be run in an efficient way. Of corse, the ost of managing custom streams from the Calgary MC could be an issue. However, I suspect that only the PSIP stream would need to be duplicated, assuming null packets could be inserted at the transmitter.

Of course, there is going to be some more surplus CBC analog transmitting equipment on the Kelowna tower come August 1.

·
Registered
277 Posts
For a local TV station to be profitable, it needs to sell local advertisements to their immediate market, the highest audience possible. By offering CHAN-TV with Vancouver advertisements, they split CHBC's audience in half.

Pendicton's rebroadcaster is low power, so their goal is obviously NOT to reach Oroville, WA or Nighthawk, WA... so, what's the point?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I had a look at the CHBC and Global BC schedules online. While they both show Global shows, they rarely show them at the same time. For example, CHBC shows the prime schedule on Calgary time, starting at 7 PM instead of 8 PM PT. Instead of the Morning News program from 5:30 to 9, CHBC shows James Robison. Weekday schedules are shuffled, and on weekends there is some diferent programming altogether.

So, while the programming is mostly the same, it is rarely shown at the same time. Above all, it is more than the news that is different, and the important thing is that CHBC shows most programming BEFORE the Global BC repeater, so it has the edge there.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
But it still seems to be a waste of bandwidth.
Spectrum efficiency is a non issue outside of major urban centres. It is not as if there are 15 transmitters in Penticton competing for spectrum with neighbouring cities. I do agree that it seems rather a strange decision by Global.

I wonder if they are hoping to make CHBC a CBC affiliate in August?

·
Registered
277 Posts
tvlurker, it's odd, Zap2It TV Listings is time-zone adjusted. If I select Shaw Direct (Classic) and compare CHBC (326) with CHAN (336), the schedule is exactly the same, at the same time, except Global National, just like it says on wikipedia.

But Vancouver and Kelowna are in the same time zone (Pacific), so why is globaltv's website listing CHBC with a 1-hour delay?

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
^^^That certainly is strange. The 1 hour delay is only in the afternoon and primetime schedules. Between 12am & 12pm as well as 3 & 7 pm the schedules on both zap2it and Global's website agree, but they are quite different for CHBC for both early afternoon and primetime.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I checked the Kelowna Daily Courier TV listing (which use zap2it from Tribune Media, as well), and CHBC and CHAN (CHKL) both show identical programming except during the news blocks in both the cable and broadcast listings for postal code V1Y 7V1.

I heard Global uses Rovi for their PSIP EPG, so perhaps Rovi's listings are different? I don't seem to be able to independently access any Rovi-based Canadian listings online, so I cannot check.

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Says they're moving to 14, so I doubt they can do it in Paris with CITS so close in London. Hopefully something is done. Ideally I'd like them to stay between 7 and 12 since it works with my setup.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Just because they are using RF14 in Ottawa doesn't mean they have to use the same channel in Paris. I have said all along that Global's Paris transmitter should be moved to Woodstock, but that may not happen.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Most likely there is. The CRTC released a bunch of applications from Shaw last week for BC DTV transmitters, so there is a good chance the application has already been filed and the delay is likely from the CRTC itself. If not, they could still be working out the details (co-ordination with several parties is often necessary).

Also, the Ottawa application is going through a public hearing. If the Paris application was rubber stamped, it would take longer for it to be published.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Channel 29 Oil Springs (Global)

I just got an email back from the VP of Operations at Shaw Media, here it is.
The Sarnia-Oil Springs engineering analysis is in progress, and as per my prior correspondence with you, our target is to have Sarnia-Oil Springs transitioned to digital by the end of the year, subject to regulatory approvals and vendor timelines.
As well, Shaw greatly appreciates your feedback regarding viewership in London. We are taking your comments into consideration as we review our options.

141 - 160 of 289 Posts