Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
341 - 360 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Global should use CIII 41.2 in Toronto co - channel with CHEX - DT - 2 Channel 22 in Oshawa, Ontario on digital sub channel UHF Channel 41.2 to serve the Toronto GTA area & the rest of Southern Ontario from Burlington to the Golden Horseshoe including Barrie, Hamilton and the Niagara Peninsula in Southern Ontario.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I would prefer it Global put their free national news streaming channel as a sub channel.Not much different programming on CHEX besides local news.Besides Global not going to increase spending on OTA.They are cutting it.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Hope they add CKWS to CIII-DT-6 in Ottawa soon
I think the reason it's not on there yet is because the Prescott transmitter is still operational. It's the same reason why CHEX-DT isn't transmitting Global Toronto yet. The Cobourg transmitter for Global Toronto is still operational. I think the only recent changes are CIII-2 in Bancroft is now off and Kingston is now broadcasting that on CKWS sub-channel and CHEX-DT is now broadcasting CKWS on a sub-channel as the Brighton transmitter has been terminated.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Global should use CIII 41.2 in Toronto co - channel with CHEX - DT - 2 Channel 22 in Oshawa, Ontario on digital sub channel UHF Channel 41.2 to serve the Toronto GTA area & the rest of Southern Ontario from Burlington to the Golden Horseshoe including Barrie, Hamilton and the Niagara Peninsula in Southern Ontario.
What purpose does that serve? The only reason reason Corus would even consider doing this is if they got regulatory approval to simply shutter CHEX-DT-2's transmitter and broadcast CHEX-DT-2 on shared spectrum with CIII-DT-41 Toronto. I've said this many times, your post just seem like fantasy nostalgia from a time period when many of these channels had unique content and schedules. CHEX-DT-2 is almost 100% identical to CIII-DT-41 with the exception that they do not show Young and the Restless at 4:30pm and ET at 7:00pm. They show filler content in the 4:30pm time slot and air a live edition of Global Durham News at 5:00pm. It appears to be repeated at 7 and 11pm weekdays. All other newscasts including weekend news originates from Toronto.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
The CRTC would never allow remote stations to be moved to other markets that already have a station on the same network. The CRTC doesn't even allow CTV and CTV2 to be located in the same markets. The reason those OTA stations exist is to get simsubs on local television distribution services. The only reason they have local news is because the CRTC requires it as a condition of licensing. It's much more likely that they would be shut down than moved.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There has been no guide info on Global TV Toronto (41) for almost 2 weeks.
Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

Aren't they mandated to send Guide Information?

The global repeater of that station in Paris has never had guide info so I'm not sure it's required. In fact guide data was so corrupted last spring my roku TV would freeze and crash if I tuned to global 6. It does seem to at least let the TV tune into that channel now.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Global Bancroft is definitely off. I was really hoping this station would go digital. It'll be missed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The CRTC would never allow remote stations to be moved to other markets that already have a station on the same network. The CRTC doesn't even allow CTV and CTV2 to be located in the same markets. The reason those OTA stations exist is to get simsubs on local television distribution services. The only reason they have local news is because the CRTC requires it as a condition of licensing. It's much more likely that they would be shut down than moved.
Vancouver has both CTV and CTV2 transmitters broadcasting to the Vancouver area. I don't know about other areas of Canada though.

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
The same area is not necessarily the same market. Signals may overlap when placed in adjacent markets. For example, CTV is on the CN Tower (Toronto market) and was denied a CTV2 transmitter in Toronto. It had an existing CTV2 transmitter in Barrie. A CTV2 repeater was approved in the Hamilton/Niagara market, both of which can be received in Toronto. Similarly, CTV and CTV2 transmitters cover Kitchener/Waterloo and London markets though the transmitters are in their respective markets.

Not sure what the situation is with Vancouver. The CTV2 signal originates in Victoria with a repeater in "Vancouver." However, the transmitter itself may be miles away from Vancouver and simply listed as being in the city. For example, the CHCH repeater listed for London is actually in Alvinston, over 30 miles away and is unreceivable in some parts of London due to terrain.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
I think some of the rational the CRTC has had on broadcasting is arbitrary and stupid. Like if they allowed CBC and Ici Tele to broadcast from the same transmitter, perhaps some cities would have been spared from losing either English or French service. Look at even CFMT and CJMT. How many people are truly watching these channels? They could easily broadcast both channels on a single transmitter. Look at northern Ontario. Why doesn't Bell Media and Corus simply share spectrum and broadcast CTV and Global from one transmitter. It would save on hardware costs and operational costs.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I agree, Winnipeg has two CBC transmitters irradiating the downtown area when one at the same power level at their original Starbuck site would have twice the coverage and saved many millions of our $$$. Instead they have two channels broadcasting mostly null packets.
Could also have set one up in Brandon MB which I believe has no OTA broadcasters anymore. I believe CTV shut down their transmitter a few years ago north of town.
Two or three 720i streams from one transmitter is possible, why not put the spectrum to use. More advertising $$ for broadcasters should be an incentive, while minimizing spectrum usage. These transmitters eat a lot more kilowatts than the RF they broadcast. Electricity cost is going up like everything else.

Seems to me like someone with a limited knowledge of the technology and the broadcasting industry is making the decisions... whether it be the CRTC or broadcasters themselves; more likely a combination of the two that don't get along.

I think some of the rational the CRTC has had on broadcasting is arbitrary and stupid. Like if they allowed CBC and Ici Tele <snip> broadcast CTV and Global from one transmitter. It would save on hardware costs and operational costs.

Reactions: sparkycivic

·
Registered
78 Posts
Aren't the stations in Canada required by CRTC regulations to transmit channel info/data? If so, how/where to file a complaint?
This is a real pain with GlobalTV (41) Toronto. The guide info has been off for months now.

341 - 360 of 363 Posts