Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
321 - 340 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
GA dont confuse displayed channel numbers with real transmitted RF frequency.CKWS Brighten repeater got should down RF 23 display 30 .Kingston CKWS is on RF 11 and Peterboro is on RF 12.RF 27 Cobourg repeater is to be shutdown.You will need a large outdoor VHF antenna to maybe receive RF 11 and 12 when RF 27 shutsdown.RF 12 CHEX will carry a sub channel of RF 27 Toronto displayed.
RF 30/23 Kingston via Brighton comes and goes, mostly goes.
CKWS Kingston RF 11 was Deseronto, gone for a while now.
During tropo effects we sometimes get Peterborough on my UHF antenna (Bowtie).
I doubt Global will do anything to bolster any signal as almost no one watches it (except us).

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Deseronto was CJOH CTV repeater shutdown.CKWS Brighton RF 23 display 30 repeater was shutdown. CKWS Kingston is on RF 11 and you will need an outdoor VHF antenna if / when RF 27 is shutdown.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This morning ch 30 CKWS is coming in, a bit pixelated.
Probably get worse after 9am. In the past when tropo effects bring in US stations, they breakup and disappear after 9am.

[ Update 12:00pm: still showing with minor pixelation ]

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Global was picking up the signal off air from the CN tower. (That's what they do with the Paris repeater.) That makes the signal subject to atmospheric and terrestrial interference such as tropo.

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
They do use satellite for more remote repeaters. We have two Global stations that can be picked up with an outdoor antenna here. The one that uses a satellite feed has a notably inferior picture due to use of the Shaw Direct satellite feed. The one using the Toronto OTA signal has a better picture but seems to be less reliable.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like Global Kingston is working on its transmitter, probably to add Global Toronto. That's still the plan, right? ;)

Oddly, I am currently seeing CHEX TV transmitting as 12.1 (1080i) and a black screen as 11.2 (not properly encoded).

I'm very close to the Kingston transmitter site on Wolfe island and getting 100% signal with an indoor antenna so I am definitely not receiving the Peterborough transmitter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like Global Kingston is working on its transmitter, probably to add Global Toronto. That's still the plan, right? ;)

Oddly, I am currently seeing CHEX TV transmitting as 12.1 (1080i) and a black screen as 11.2 (not properly encoded).

I'm very close to the Kingston transmitter site on Wolfe island and getting 100% signal with an indoor antenna so I am definitely not receiving the Peterborough transmitter.
Now transmitting correctly from Kingston:
11.1 CKWS (1080i)
2.1 CIII (1080i)

I believe the first is physical 11-1 and the second is physical 11-2 but I can't see those details with my TV. I will confirm with HD Homerun later.

321 - 340 of 342 Posts