Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
301 - 320 of 325 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Global/Corus shutdown of Cobourg,Bancroft,Brighton and Prescott Ontario transmitters was approved.
Here is the decision:
What will go dark:
  • ch. 2 Bancroft [Vennachar] 100kW
  • ch. 23 Brighton 938w
  • ch. 27 Cobourg/Peterborough 275kW
  • ch. 28 Prescott/Spencerville 130w
There are repeaters in BC that will close as well

Catch them while you can. I wouldn't be surprised if they are gone by Christmas

·
Registered
492 Posts
Here is the decision:
What will go dark:
  • ch. 2 Bancroft [Vennachar] 100kW
  • ch. 23 Brighton 938w
  • ch. 27 Cobourg/Peterborough 275kW
  • ch. 28 Prescott/Spencerville 130w
There are repeaters in BC that will close as well

Catch them while you can. I wouldn't be surprised if they are gone by Christmas
Cobourg and Brighton transmitters are my two strongest stations.
I will miss them. Only Canadian stations I get while my antenna points at Rochester.
So mostly I won't be watching Canadian channels anymore. I have a rotor and can get
Toronto stations almost always, but chances are I won't bother much with turning the antenna
just to see what's on. Anyway in the winter my rotor often doesn't work in the cold.
On the bright side those frequencies will be wide open for tropo.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I see that CHEX-DT will be broadcasting its channel with two subchannels CKWS Brighton and Global Toronto.
Can they all operate at 1080i with same quality as we get now?
Or can we expect 2 standard definition subchannels?
I hope not.

·
Registered
10,511 Posts
Global uses a Shaw Direct satellite feed for at least some of its repeaters so compression is already bad. I compared Global from Paris and Oil Springs once. Paris uses the CN tower OTA signal which wouldn't provide the best source but it still looked significantly better than Oil Springs which had visible compression artifacts. 720p sounds like it may be a Bell Satellite feed but I don't know why they would use that instead of a Shaw Direct.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
TVTime where are you located as Global 41-1 in Toronto real RF 18 is working fine.Global Cobourg,Bancroft Belleville ,Brockville are or have been shutdown.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
TVTime where are you located as Global 41-1 in Toronto real RF 18 is working fine.Global Cobourg,Bancroft Belleville ,Brockville are or have been shutdown.
RF 18 in Toronto is CITY, RF 17 in Toronto is CIII...

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
My mistake Global Toronto Toronto on RF 18 ,41.1..TVTime suspect you will now have to have VHF antenna for Peterboro or Kingston Global signal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In case anybody else missed this (like I did):
As mentioned above, when Global/Chorus shuts down the transmitters in Cobourg and Brighton, those channels (CIII-27 and CKWS-1) will be added as sub-channels on CHEX Peterborough.

Similarly, when Bancroft (Vannachar CIII-2) transmitter shuts down, it will be added as a sub-channel on CKWS Kingston.
And when Prescott (CKWS-2) transmitter shuts down, it will be added as a sub-channel on CIII-6 Ottawa.

All of the above will be broadcast in 720p, including the existing CHEX and CKWS which are currently in 1080i

Still no indication of when these changes will happen.

Too bad for people around Bancroft who will lose the station. Most people around Brighton, Cobourg and Prescott should be able to get the new channels from Peterborough or Ottawa.

Similar changes in BC involving Kelowna, Okanagan, Penticton and Vernon.
Details are in the CRTC decision CRTC-2020-391

·
Registered
63 Posts
In case anybody else missed this (like I did):
As mentioned above, when Global/Chorus shuts down the transmitters in Cobourg and Brighton, those channels (CIII-27 and CKWS-1) will be added as sub-channels on CHEX Peterborough.
Here in the east end of Belleville, we can only get CIII-27 (ch27 Toronto, 1080i) and TVO, no CKWS-1 (ch30 Kingston) which is unfortunate as we prefer the Kingston news.

Channel 30 scans into our TV but shows as a blank screen. There is some tropo effect currently, not sure how that affects it, if at all.

If CIII-27 is part of the Peterborough transmitter, why does it scan in and why don't we get Peterborough? Confusing stuff.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
GA dont confuse displayed channel numbers with real transmitted RF frequency.CKWS Brighten repeater got should down RF 23 display 30 .Kingston CKWS is on RF 11 and Peterboro is on RF 12.RF 27 Cobourg repeater is to be shutdown.You will need a large outdoor VHF antenna to maybe receive RF 11 and 12 when RF 27 shutsdown.RF 12 CHEX will carry a sub channel of RF 27 Toronto displayed.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Perhaps Global is waiting for new variable bitrate encoder for the three transmitters going to be doing the channel sharing.Maybe keeping the current transmitters going until they fail is actually cheaper.

301 - 320 of 325 Posts