Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
201 - 220 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
VHF-lo should probably be re-assigned to land mobile particularly for use in applications that could benefit from the lower propagation losses in the band.

VHF-hi should get the extra 10dB power to overcome urban noise. Not all stations will be able to afford upgraded transmitters so measures will be required to protect stations operating at currently authorized power levels. If a well-financed station wants to crank the power up to improve its own urban coverage then it might have to finance transmitter power upgrades for co-channel stations in smaller markets to maintain the current power ratios and avoid installing a directional antenna.

·
Registered
350 Posts
As a result, you could probably keep the noise limited contour for VHF-LO about the same but reduce the urban contour by 20 or 30 dB (on the map I would have the urban contour include the old cities of Ottawa, Nepean and Gloucester, but exclude Kanata and Orleans).
Since the contours are used for official planning, I left them alone. The Longley-Rice maps are adjusted downward though. 5 dB for high-VHF, 13 dB for low-VHF.

- Trip

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Shaw Media applies for CFGC-DT-2 on channel 15 in North Bay

Shaw Media's application for CFGC-DT-2 on channel 15 in North Bay was published today on the CRTC website. Deadline for comments is July 16, 2012.

The coverage for channel 15 should be better than analog is currently on channel 2.

SUMMARY SHEET
APPLICANT: Shaw Television Limited Partnership
121 Bloor Street East, Suite 1500
Toronto, Ontario
M4W 3M5
STATION LOCATION: North Bay, ON
CALL SIGN: CFGC-DT-2
CHANNEL: 15
COORDINATES: 46o 18' 10" N. LAT.
(NAD83) 79o 24' 39" W. LNG.
TRANSMITTER POWER: 3.5 kW
FEED SYSTEM EFFICIENCY: 63%
ANTENNA POWER GAIN: 7.6X Max H/3.3X Max V
4.5X Avg H/1.9X Avg V
BEAMTILT: 1o
ERP (@ Beamtilt): 16.8 kW Max H/7.3 kW Max V
9.9 kW Avg H/4.2 kW Avg V
EHAAT: 92.8 m
Overall Height: 198 mAGL
Ground Level: 228.5 mAMSL
Radiation Centre: 341.5 mAMSL
MODE: Unattended

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I just got an email back from the VP of Operations at Shaw Media, here it is.
Given the April applications for the BC conversions haven't been ruled on and nothing has yet to appear on the CRTC site for Sarnia-Oil Springs, it's going to be tight to have Sarnia-Oil Springs digital up in 2012.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
^^^It all depends on the parameters of the application and if a public proceeding is necessary. For all we know the application has already been approved but has not been published yet (applications approved by streamlined procedures only get published as a batch every couple months).

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
As Roger said, not all applications are publishged in realtime. The reason that the North Bay application was handled under the Part I Application process is that Shaw is proposing a channel other than the one assigned to CFGC-DT-2 in the Industry Canada post-transition plan. (They really didn't have choice -- the CHCH repeater in North Bay is still using the channel 32 assignment that was meant for Global).

If a post-transition application does not alter the channel ofr parameters specified in the post-transition plan, it can be handled under the streamlined process, which means the publication on the CRTC website only happens much later. (You would typically see the channels show up in the IC database first, then.)

·
Registered
290 Posts
^^^^
this is great news for those in the London area who were never able to receive Global CIII 6.1 from Paris, ON after the digital transition last summer. Hopefully Shaw/Global will ensure enough signal reaches the London area once Global CIII-29 converts to digital.

·
Registered
248 Posts
What's Next

Now that the Oil Springs transition to digital is complete does anyone know what DTV project Global is planning to do next? Are they breaking for the winter or are they already working on something, anybody heard anything? I couldn't find anything new on their website.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for the update Rimor. I was also under the impression that Owen Sound was going to move to channel 26 but the Shaw pdf says digital ch 4. Not sure what to make of that. They are making good progress on their convertions so far, hopefully Paris and Ottawa will be not long after.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Owen Sound

Does anyone know if the Owen Sound digital conversion went ahead as scheduled on December 20th? I haven't seen any postings and the Rabbit Ears website still lists it as analogue.

·
Registered
475 Posts
sweet! I wonder why Paris isn't in there anywhere - maybe because they've already applied (has it been approved?).

Interesting to see that they're staying on 2 despite the problems they had in Paris/Ottawa. Incremental upgrades I guess.

·
Registered
248 Posts
North Bay

North Bay is scheduled to move from channel 2 to digital channel 15. Global made the same mistake in the pdf for owen sound indicating digital channel 4 when they in fact moved to channel 26 (A few nights ago it came in tropo here in London). I noticed they are planning to have all 4 up and running before the end of February. That's pretty quick, one every two weeks. Hopefully we will see Paris, ont on the next list of upgrades!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Regarding Paris and Ottawa, they probably aren't on the list for 2 reasons:

1. They are already broadcasting in digital and only changing channel numbers, so don't quite fit the mold (though they could put them in a separate table).
  2. The transition dates aren't known yet. For Paris, as others said it is still in the CRTC's hands, and for Ottawa, they are waiting for the CBC (who own the tower) to complete an engineering analysis of it before the old VHF antennas can be removed from the top of the tower to make room for new UHF ones.

201 - 220 of 342 Posts