Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
CIII Channel 6 Paris

I'm experiencing an odd issue with this station on one tuner.

My CM7000Pal DVR intermittently loses the audio and video (goes to black screen), but still reports a carrier. Sometimes re-selecting the station restores it. I also notice a momentary hesitation whenever tuning this station.

The station seems fine on an Emerson monitor, and my Sony Bravia.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
I wasn't having any luck contacting Global TV through their normal channels (email, telephone, website) regarding the station and PSIP issues. So I reached out to Sean O'Shea, and he responded immediately.

Sean promised to escalate the technical issues directly to Paul Thomas, the head of engineering at Global. I hope to have an update by Thursday.

The transmitter issues I'm referring to are the audio/video dropouts on channel 6 Paris and 22 Stevenson. I believe there are similar problems with channel 6 Ottawa.

I'll keep the forum posted.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
I continue to be astounded by the extreme difficulty one encounters when attempting to communicate OTA issues with stations/networks. Unfortunately, Global is no exception.

My concerns were regarding signal issues with channel 6 Paris and 22 Stevenson. And the lack of PSIP EPG data. I intend to also raise the status of the Ottawa transmitter, and how it's current technical parameters are woefully inadequate for the Ottawa area.

After not receiving any responses from web form and voicemail messages, I reached out to Sean O'Shea at Global. Sean is an investigative reporter for Global who focuses on consumer rights.

Sean responded to me immediately and promised to follow up with Paul Thomas, head of engineering for Ontario at Global. Sean even provided me with his personal cell number, and invited me to contact him directly if my concerns were not addressed. Needless to say, I am very pleased with Sean's commitment to addressing these concerns.

While I've yet to hear back from Engineering at Global, Sean has indicated that he's been privy to internal emails which indicate they're actively investigating. I'll keep the forum updated on the progress.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
Global TV isn't currently sending out EPG data via PSIP.

After waiting three weeks, I finally got a response back from Global regarding EPG and station issues with Stevenson and Paris.

The response was essentially a canned one, where they make no commitments...other to indicate that they plan to have EPG info offered in the near future.

Interestingly, Global indicates that using channel 6 in Paris was not their preferred choice for digital...but that it was the only channel available to them at the time of the digital transition. They also indicate that they applied for--and were granted--an increase in ERP for Stevenson.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
No more information on Stevenson, unfortunately. I tried a search on applications for this transmitter, and didn't see anything recent.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
TOTVBuff, I didn't lose CIII channel 41 Toronto between 9pm and 11pm on Friday. Nor have I see any indications in this thread or the Toronto station status thread that anyone else (besides yourself) lost it either?!?

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
Some painful decisions need to be made by Global in Ottawa. The current state of affairs with the transmitter serving this region is unacceptable.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
CIII Global Toronto (RF 41), Paris 6.1 (RF 6)

I now have EPG (PSIP) data on these channels!

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
The only issues I was aware of with regards to Global Paris was with their backhaul. Certain weather conditions such as fog would cause audio/video loss.

It's my understanding that the transmitter is operating at the licensed parameters.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
PSIP

Anyone else lose PSIP EPG data for Paris and Toronto?

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
Network Status vs. Station Station Status

Just a friendly reminder to please discuss individual station status in the appropriate thread for the region covering that station. Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
Global PSIP issues on many transmitters

^^^^^^^
Reading through the forums, it appears that these or similar PSIP issues---including sporadic guide info--is also impacting the Ottawa and Paris (Kitchener) transmitters.

Anyone noting these problems on other Global transmitters?

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
Global hasn't physically changed channels. Likely a PSIP issue with the transmitter. They appear to have mirrored settings from their Toronto transmitter.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
@pritchard66 Welcome to the forums! Have you tried a re-scan of channels on your tuner? Sometimes broadcasters make changes to their digital signal configuration, necessitating a re-scan.

·
Premium Member
5,085 Posts
Make sure that you let Global know. Without feedback they won't act to improve coverage.

Reactions: Gentleman
1 - 16 of 16 Posts