Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 10 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Jim, I highly encourage you to phone to get the status. Ask to speak to someone in engineering or master control. My experience is that nearly all broadcasters struggle to keep up with the volume of email.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I know people in the television business and the majority of them are hard-working, capable folks who deal with the realities of budgets, schedules and corporate priorities every day.
Excellent point that can be made in a number of threads here where engineers are under attack. Engineers can only do what their upper management (and regulators) directs them to do. In many cases, upper management has severe under-representation of engineers. Instead they are filled by MBAs and lawyers (in Shaw Media's case, the president is an MBA).

Some of the MBAs and lawyers I know need a "techie" to do simple things - these are the types that still have VCRs flashing "12:00" since the 1980s. Trying to explain the difference between UHF and VHF to guys like this makes their eyes glaze over. They'll just ask "How much will this cost?" and if they don't like the answer, they'll say no.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I noticed today that the Global SD subchannel is now on 72.2 in Ottawa at least on my CM7000PAL DVR which notified me of this new channel when I turned it on today. The TVs still see it on 6.2. I am beginning to think as was mentioned in an earlier post that this is all just a mistake and not an indication of them some day offering different programming on a subchannel.
I noticed a very subtle difference. On the ".1" channel, the logo on the bottom shows "Global HD" while the ".2" channel just shows "Global". I'd guess they are using the subchannel to feed some std def cable headends instead of forcing the headends to downcovert the main channel.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Micah, only for a few more months. It's possible the moment (ok, maybe not literally ;)) CHCH move to RF 15, Global applies for a channel change.

I wonder if they could apply for an unused London allotment (former CKXT, CBLN, SRC) ? :confused:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I didn't mean physically placing the transmitter in London, but using an IC allotment for London. I guess they may need it to be highly directional to the west if there may be co-channel interference from the east (true for RF 7, 19, and 40) - that might be a non-starter.

AFAIK, they own the facilities in Paris (??). Wouldn't make sense to rent space on someone else's tower in London if you've already got your own down the road.

Kitchener has allotments for 17 and 29 (as Bark64 pointed out). 17 would probably a poorer choice for viewers who pull in the Cleveland stations, although 29 is also Global's Oil Springs channel.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I just got an email back from the VP of Operations at Shaw Media, here it is.
Given the April applications for the BC conversions haven't been ruled on and nothing has yet to appear on the CRTC site for Sarnia-Oil Springs, it's going to be tight to have Sarnia-Oil Springs digital up in 2012.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
FWIW, these 3 Global stations have recent updates (May 31) in the Industry Canada database, all have status AP:

Timmins CIII-DT-13
Sudbury CFGC-DT
Sarnia-Oil Springs CIII-DT-29

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Micah, Paris RF 17 is still in the CRTC's hands. I estimate it will be decided in the next few weeks given the pattern of how quickly CRTC works through the applications.

1 - 10 of 11 Posts