Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
221 - 228 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Freehold condo townhomes typically have the exterior of the unit maintained by the condo corp. As such, the board makes the rules as to what is allowed.

In the freehold condo townhome I lived in, I was on the board and we specified the maximum dish diameter that could be mounted on an exterior wall. We never considered OTA antennas back then.

Check the rules before you buy.

·
Super Moderator
5,082 Posts
nerakmacd, I've moved your thread to an existing one with some discussion on the issue.

As Peano alluded to, the rules with townhomes vary. You'll need to consult with the management/board of the specific community that you're interested in.

Don't forget that local by-laws are also applicable. You'll need to check with the municipal/local government to confirm the applicable rules. It's important that you check the specific address, as bylaws often vary within the same city or town.

Depending on the location of the townhome, an attic install--if permissible and possible--might be a suitable alternative if any rules/bylaws prohibit exterior installation of antennas.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The only thing I would add is that if nerakmacd is in the U.S.A. there are provisions made by the FCC for anyone to put up a TV antenna on their property anywhere, but definitely check if that is still the case.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
^^^^
Actually, even in Canada, municipalities have no authority over antennas, beyond structural & safety issues.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Unfortunately, condos and rental units often have restrictions on dishes and antennas in the lease. I've also heard of developers putting no antennas clauses in the sales agreement. It's best to check with the condo board or building owners before buying or renting.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ok, a bit off topic but... "Freehold condo townhomes" ...this doesn't make sense to me, I
thought it's either "condominium" OR "freehold" ....freehold meaning, you own both the
inside, outside of your unit and the land allocated for it. No ? In that case, should have no
problem with an antenna. Best to take the advice as the others said and look into it.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
^^^^
Even with a completely non condo, free standing house, there might be restrictions on antennas placed on the property by the developer. This is the sort of situation that the FCC regs address, where someone cannot be prohibited, by such restrictions, from having an antenna. We don't have that right in Canada yet.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@jamesK
If the Developer did not register these conditions on the actual individual property title then they do not exist. It's possible though that the municipality, or some other government entity, may include those same restrictions. Check your deed and your sales agreement.
The proviso is, as always, that you need to live in harmony with those around you. :)

221 - 228 of 228 Posts