Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
201 - 220 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
No, condos have their own bylaws, independent of any city bylaws
I think you mean covenant. Most people don't know the difference between them but to a lawyer, the difference can mean everything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know that in Ottawa, there used to be a height limit placed on Antenna's and Satelite dishes, but there was an appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board, which resulted in the whole section of the Zoning Bylaw dealing with them being repealed.

http://www.omb.gov.on.ca/e-decisions/pl080959-may-04-2012.pdf

http://ottawa.ca/en/licence_permit/bylaw/a_z/zoning/parts/pt_05/antenna/index.htm

http://ottawa.ca/en/licence_permit/bylaw/a_z/zoning/parts/pt_02/projections/index.htm

Condo's can make their own rules - you choose to live there, you do so under those rules. You don't like it, move elsewhere.

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
I think you mean covenant
Both my condo declaration and the Ontario Condominium Act say "by-law". The condo act also mentions covenants, but in a different context from by-laws.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Covenants are rules decided upon between a developer and the municipality. They appear in Subdivision Agreements, or Site Plan Agreements. You won't see them in condo rules.

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
All of this confusion surrounding the legality of antennas and dishes is why--in my opinion--the federal government should override local and condo bylaws/rules/covenants and have a national policy. Such as in the US.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Reviving this thread after I stumbled upon and reading it while looking for some OTA information.

Thinking about how far the law can lag behind technology. Specifically, in my situation; I've paired up an HDHomeRun tuner (converts OTA to IP Multicast) with a program called udpxy to stream OTA to my PS3. It requires knowing the internal http address, but it can be accessed over my Wi-fi, so technically I am rebroadcasting these signals/programs.

Hypothetically, how would the law be applied in my case?

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
^^^^
Rebroadcasting generally means making it available to others. So, if you're the only one who can access your WiFi, you are not rebroadcasting. On the other hand, if you were to run a cable to some of your neigbours and shared the signal over it, then you would be rebroadcasting.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
applicable building code?

Anyone know if there are any applicable building code issues with mounting an antenna and/or tower where it would be otherwise permitted?

For instance, minimum distance from a property line? minimum distance from utilities, etc.?

For sure you'll want to stay well away from overhead power lines but is there a minimum distance you must adhere to? Similar question for overhead cable/phone wires - although these don't have lethal levels of voltage (correct me if I misunderstand that. :eek: ), if an antenna or tower came loose and damaged the utilities wires, I'm assuming the owner if the falling equipment might have some liability if it was erected too close to begin with?

Any information appreciated! :cool:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Apparently I'm a little late to the discussion ;)

I live way out in the country where OTA reception is poor on the best of days! That being said I am situated on the crest of a hill, with little tree cover or other objects obstructing my setup. My brother however, lives "next door" (0.5km) in a low bush area making OTA nearly impossible. I have 2 large silos (70+ ft) on my property.

Here's the proposal:
Could my brother legally setup his OTA setup on my silos and then "beam" the signal back to his house through PPPoE? He would probably have a PC at the top of the silo with a tuner running wmc or xbmc. I wasn't able to find any posts where others had tried/were doing something similar to this for long runs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry, I was hoping to get thoughts on the legality of a neighbor using my silo for his OTA setup more than the actual setup of the system.
I'm not sure how the rules would apply to something like this.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I don't see how you'd be violating any laws with this. It's not like you're trying to setup a service like Aereo :)

·
Super Moderator
11,239 Posts
mrmemario, I am not the expert on these types of matters (silos or OTA repeaters) but I can't see any reason why you can't do it. You may want to check out building codes to make sure there is nothing in there that might trip you up. Obviously the grounding will be the biggest issue so if you proceed make sure it is by the book. Think of it like an apartment where there is a large OTA antenna on the roof and everyone can tap into the signal via a network of amplifiers and cabling. In your case wireless.

Also, search the internet for terms like; passive OTA relay repeater etc. You will get hits from various people setting up back to back antennas. Receiving antenna feeds broadcast antenna. The power you transmit will have to be kept low but over 500m I can't see that being an issue.

Further Reading
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=113236

http://www.matthewsworkbench.com/passive-tv-repeater/

Have fun. Sounds like an interesting project.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Here's the proposal:
Could my brother legally setup his OTA setup on my silos and then "beam" the signal back to his house through PPPoE? He would probably have a PC at the top of the silo with a tuner running wmc or xbmc. I wasn't able to find any posts where others had tried/were doing something similar to this for long runs.
If you shared an antenna, it would definitely be illegal since it would be considered an unlicensed cable TV system. If the antenna is dedicated for his use it gets into a grey area and even greyer if you convert put the signal on his own private LAN (there is currently a law suite in the US where a company is renting out micro antennas in their building and they send the station you tune to you over the internet, see the thread Can the likes of Hopper and Aereo ruin OTA ?).

If you do decide to go this route, a Silicon Dust HDHR (a network connected TV tuner) is probably your best bet. They only receive digital broadcasts though, so if there are any analog stations you are trying to receive, you will need another solution.

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
Speaking for myself, I wouldn't be concerned with sharing OTA signals. I doubt Industry Canada would concern itself with such a setup. Unless of course it becomes a larger-scale Community Access TV (CATV) system which involves fees and use of public property or easements. Serving immediate neighbours only.

Again, this is my own personal take on signal sharing, and not advice.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Jase88 said:
I doubt Industry Canada would concern itself with such a setup
In the past it was the cable companies who used to train their staff to report any suspicious coax cables draped between houses. A visit or call from someone in IC or other authority would soon follow. This spying happened fairly often to urban owners of BUDs and big OTA Towers too. Nowadays with all the small dishes, cable overbuilds, competing services, and OTA antennas out there the lookout for odd cabling is probably not so big a training item anymore.

·
Super Moderator
56,884 Posts
From post 209 and 211 it looks like there would only be one user, so it wouldn't be CATV. However, if mrmemario or anyone else is also going to be getting the signals, then that would be CATV and illegal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for directing me here stampeder!
I can see that the issue associated with sharing the signal as being illegal, but seems to be more about taking the moral high road, more than dealing with possible jail time or a fine!
Roger1818, when you talked about the "greyer" area of converting the signal and then streaming over his LAN, wouldn't Microsoft be running into this issue by allowing us to use the 360 as a media extender?
If he were to setup WMC on the PC and then broadcast over wifi and pick it up at his house with the 360, would that be more "legitimate"?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Using the 360 as an extender is perfectly legal within the same house as the antenna. The legality issues come in when the signal crosses property lines. For reference, MATV systems are legal in hotels, apartments and condominiums as all of the units are on the same piece of property.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Freehold Townhome rules

I am thinking of moving into a smaller home, preferably a townhouse. However, I am not willing to give up my amazing antenna and pay for cable once again.

I've searched everywhere and can't find anything about rules in a Freehold townhome where it concerns antennas. I think in a condo situation they can ban you from erecting one since the roof is considered a common element but not sure about a freehold.

Anyone know? It will literally be the deciding factor for moving. I'm hooked on free tv!

201 - 220 of 228 Posts