Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
181 - 200 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
@the.importer

Crtc has nothing to do with antenna regulation. This is the role of Industry Canada and a exclusive federal juridiction. Municipal power try to block cell phone antenna tower all the times, but they always loses.

The same apply to TV antenna, but who would go to court for that ?

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
IC also has nothing to do with this, as you agree to the condo by-laws when you buy. The options are either change the by-laws or get the feds to pass a law over-riding the condo by-laws.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was talking about municipal rules not the condo situation.

But I think the case of the condo could be in in court because a private
contract between to parties cannot include clauses that are not valid according
to another law.

·
Banned
1,190 Posts
The (first line) CSR may have been thinking about encrypted FTA...
There is NO such thing as "encrypted FTA" since FTA represents the reception of UNENCRYPTED satellite signals as we discuss in the Free To Air forum on this site. You probably were referring to satellite piracy which many pirates use FTA as a euphemism to avoid admitting their are doing something illegal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bit of an old thread, but google sent me here. :)
Im trying to find an answer to why stations broadcast their signal to "us" for free? Why don't they just use cable/satellite? Wouldn't it be cheaper and less towers/power being pushed around?

Whenever I talk to ppl about ota, that's usually the first thing they ask me, and i never have an answer.

·
Super Moderator
56,933 Posts
Because all TV used to be OTA and if they didn't "broadcast" they'd lose 10-20-30% of their market depending on the location. There would also be an outcry if people were forced to subscribe to cable/satellite - some don't have access, others can't afford it, etc.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
^^^^
Actually, it's closer to 60 years. IIRC, the CBC started broadcasting TV in 1952 and before that, those in border areas could receive U.S. stations. For example, WBEN, Buffalo could be received in the Toronto area from May 1948. Broadcast TV in the U.S. started before WW2 or more than 70 years ago.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Kingston Ontario Zoning Law for Antenna

So folks, I called the city and spoke to a zoning officer, here is the response

"As long as the antenna is not for commercial purposes, YOU ARE FINE TO PUT UP AN ANTENNA"

Reference: Zoning Law 76-26 Section 5(A) city of Kingston building department

·
Super Moderator
5,085 Posts
I've mentioned this before, and it's worth repeating:

Always ask the city or municipality about bylaws and building codes regarding your specific address. In some communities, these rules can vary by address.

For example, an older part of town may allow towers and antennas, while a new subdivision may not.

Also, get details on any restrictions that may exist.

For example, at my address in Kitchener, I'm permitted to erect a non-commercial tower structure up to 200'. But this structure may not be in a side yard if I'm on a corner lot, and it can't be in a front yard.

Some jurisdictions may require permits, or proof that the install has been inspected by a structural engineer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hi,

I live in downtown Toronto. I installed a dish on my condo balcony a few weeks ago and recently received notice to remove it from management. They are quoting a bylaw that reads:

"No television antennae, aerial, tower or similar structure and appurtenances therto shall be erected on or fastened to any unit, except in connection with a common television cable system."

Is there any loophole here?

The only things i can think of is to argue that a satellite dish is not similar to an antennae, aerial or tower. They use different frequencies to receive signals.

Thanks for any help.
Challenge the Strata bylaws. They violate the Competition act. Why has no on done this before? It could set a precedent for all Strata to change their bylaws. Any bylaw that restricts my choice of TV provider should be illegal. Strata councils are interfering in the free marketplace.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Putting a naked antenna out on a balcony is just begging for confrontation.

Solution?
When does as antenna not look like an antenna? When its covered.

How you do it, is for you to mastermind, just ensure it is not a metallic cover.

As far as a sat dish not sure how much transparency you need since even rain affects the signal.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
^^^Huh??? If the city doesn't have the legal authority to ban antennas, how can they pass a bylaw to do so? Are you trying to say that there is an provincial law (not a Toronto bylaw) banning antennas in condos in Ontario?

Also, my point is while there may be laws and bylaws regarding condos in Ontario, we don't have Strata titles.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
^^^^
No, condos have their own bylaws, independent of any city bylaws. However, we have the Ontario Condominium Act, which governs operation of condos and, for example, describes how condo bylaws can be changed.

In Canada, all radio (including TV) services are regulated by Industry Canada. The only involvement the cities can have is ensuring structural and safety regulations are met.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I believe that in Ontario antenna regs are under municipal bylaw, not provincial law. The following is from the Mayor of Mississauga.
Thank you for your e-mail dated July 12, 2012 regarding the legality of TV antennas in the City of Mississauga.

Compliance and Licensing Enforcement staff have advised me that TV antennas are permitted and are regulated under the City of Mississauga Zoning By-law 0225-2007. I have also been advised that a receiving/telecommunication device either without a dish, such as an antenna, or with a dish having a diameter 1.0m or less, is permitted in a residential zone, with no restrictions. A receiving/telecommunication device in a residential zone with a dish diameter exceeding 1.0m must be in compliance with Subsection 4.1.19 of the Zoning By-law 0225-2007.

Should you require further information or assistance on this matter, please contact Mr. Douglas Meehan, Manager, Compliance and Licensing Enforcement, by e-mail at

[email protected] or by telephone at (905) 615-3200, ext. 5676.

Sincerely,

HAZEL McCALLION, C.M., LL.D.

MAYOR
A condo can't stop you from using an antenna or a dish as long as it is within municipal bylaw regulations and your installation meets the required safety code,.. but they could stop you from hanging or mounting anything that can be see as a eyesore to others, or if they feel it creates a risk factor. ie: lightning could a risk factor therefore could likely be used as an arguement against antennas. Overall, a condo's reg can not superceed any law, so if the province/municipality has a law/bylaw and your installation is done to provincial/municipal code, then the condo will have to suck-it-up and accept it. It sounds to me like the condo corp in the OP may be caving into pressure from the condo's cable provider,... maybe threatened with service cost increases.

181 - 200 of 228 Posts