Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just puchased a 43" HDTV and was wondering what i need in order to start receive OTA signals. I'm in Oshawa, what can i expect? How many channels would i get? I'm up on a hill and i can see the lake. I also have a 40 foot tower, so mounting an outdoor antenna would be pretty easy. (i'd do it in the summer though, a little chilly at this time of the year). would i be able to pick up any hdtv stations with an indoor antenna for the time being? Where would i purschase the HDTV receiver?

Lot's of questions,

Thanks
Dan (Newbie)

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
OTA is a topic with many threads here. An indoor antenaa won't pick up Buffalo from where you are. An outdoor antenna with lots of altitude will help you pick up the HD channels from Buffalo. Several members of this forum are currently doing this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about Equipment

Well, let's see. right now, i have a pretty descent pair of rabit ears on top the of the TV right now. I can pick up the WB, Fox....ect.. a bunch of US stations, along with City TV and Toronto 1 of course on NTSC right now. just with the simple rabbit ears. How much more signal is required to receive HDTV signal.

Where would i find an OTA set top box anyway. i've looked online at future shop, bestbuy ect....no body has them.

Would one of the bigger antennas at Radio Shack. ie RCA CANT711 AMPLIFIED INDOOR AND OUTDOOR TV ANTENNA
Would this work ok.

·
Registered
279 Posts
trinitron27 said:
Where would i find an OTA set top box anyway. i've looked online at future shop, bestbuy ect....no body has them.
EBay is the best place to find refurbed ATSC tuners available in Ontario at a decent price.

Suggest you checkout the Hardware Forum at avsforums to learn about features and reception qualities of the different models. BTW, you can also use any DirecTV HD receiver (without card or dish) as they have built in ATSC tuners

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Keith647 said:
Do ExpressVu or Starchoice have HD sat receivers with built in ATSC tuners?
SC - No

Expressvu - a qualified yes. You can purchase the module for the 6000. However, like all Echostar manufactured receivers, it must be hooked to satellite and receiving sat signal to function. Lose your sat signal and your OTA is gone.

As posted above, it is just as cheap to buy refurbed ATSC STB. In addition, most units have RF and component outputs. This is good for non HD sets in areas where digital stations are at full power (Windsor for example)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.