Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1461 - 1480 of 1480 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
I finally grabbed KDLO today, I say "finally" because Hepburn picks it up all the time. I grabbed it a few weeks ago but it only partially locked with no callsigns/virtual numbers, but now it's official.

RF3 (3.1-2) KDLO Florence, SD
I squatted on 2-6 yesterday pointed south/southwest hoping to grab something new, no luck with the ff4, not surprising. Nice grabs on these low VHF's Orbot, hopefully you can grab a Cuba/Mexican/South American signal, keep in mind there are still a ton of analog broadcasters well south of us.

The solar storm that was in the news the last couple of days is the reason for these far flung receptions, hopefully it lasts long enough for some epic grabs for those equipped with low vhf capabilities. Happy hunting! (11:00 am-1:00pm) seems to be the best time for grabbing them.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yeah this DTV vhf-lo hunting has been extremely sporadic over here even with the 8200. I use the 4-tuner hdhomerun 4k with a 2-36 autologger on tuner0, a 2-6 autologger on tuner1, and then I have two copies of hdhomerun_config_gui open for parking on two different channels with tuner2 and 3. Hopefully we'll get some strong sustained vhf-lo action that can even penetrate our uhf antennas.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The zenith box just grabbed WSYX on its new channel when I was turning the antennas to get WJRT:

RF28 (6.1-4) WSYX Columbus, OH

Today I re-aimed the Cleveland antenna on the hill towards London instead and finally grabbed OMNI2 London on rf20 at around 11:30pm. That's the first time I've ever grabbed something else on rf20 besides CBLT Toronto. Now all that's left is to overpower CFTO8 and CITS14.

RF20 (20.1) OMNI2 London, ON

Reactions: steelota

·
Registered
795 Posts
Nice, did you also pick up that WPXI translator when it was on rf33? I haven't managed to grab any of those. I noticed that the rabbitears autologger for my London antenna on the hill picked up WADL at 10am this morning.

RF27 (38.1-7) WADL Mount Clemens, MI

Reactions: DetroitTVFAN

·
Registered
166 Posts
Stayed the weekend out at Colchester and got lucky monday morn around 830am....ant CM3018, amp lna200 height 18ft

WHIO rf33 Dayton Oh.
WLIO rf8 Lima Oh.
WPTD PBS rf35 Dayton Oh.
WOHL rf15 Lima Oh
WIPX rf28 Bloomington/Indianapolis Ind
WTLW rf4 Lima
WGGN rf3 Mansfield Oh

My45.1 rf36 unknown location??? guessing ohio or indiana , no calls on this one.
TBD .2
comet .3
charge .4
stadium .5

·
Registered
308 Posts
Stayed the weekend out at Colchester and got lucky monday morn around 830am....ant CM3018, amp lna200 height 18ft

WHIO rf33 Dayton Oh.
WLIO rf8 Lima Oh.
WPTD PBS rf35 Dayton Oh.
WOHL rf15 Lima Oh
WIPX rf28 Bloomington/Indianapolis Ind
WTLW rf4 Lima
WGGN rf3 Mansfield Oh

My45.1 rf36 unknown location??? guessing ohio or indiana , no calls on this one.
TBD .2
comet .3
charge .4
stadium .5
Great catches. I believe your unknown channel is likely WRGT out of Dayton.

·
Registered
643 Posts
@orbot, no I didn't get WPXI on rf 33, WFMJ is too big a flamethrower to allow that when tropo is that way. The WPXI I got was a repeater I'd grabbed before. Today was supposed to be a big tropo event, so far it's sucked with only the usual Cleveland stuff.

Congrats on all those far flung e-skip radio grabs steelzone!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Ok yeah I assumed you already picked up that WPXI repeater in New Castle, I just meant that repeater used to be on rf33 before it moved to rf34. Sounds like your rf34 grab is new, right?

I checked out Colchester on a map and it looks like an interesting place for dxing, being right down there by the lake.

Today was weird being sort of a bust but I also grabbed two new channels. I saw Hepburn grab rf11 Sudbury which I still haven't grabbed so I tried hunting it without luck, but I did grab rf11 Midland on its new channel while pointed that way. Then I left for work and noticed the rabbitears autologger for my London antenna on the hill grabbed WNDU at 11:03am, it's my first channel from South Bend.

RF11 (7.1) CIII Midland, ON
RF27 (16.1-3) WNDU South Bend, IN

Monday at 6:30am:
RF11 (42.1-2) WNIB Rochester, NY

Reactions: steelota

·
Registered
643 Posts
@orbot, I thought rf34 for WPXI was old, I think I had 3 catches of it on different rf's. Thanks for the correction.

Very strong reception west,
WOSU rf16 is new, I also got something on rf21 wich only has 3 channels total 21-1, 21-3 and 21-4, no call sign or identifier.

9:35am WHIZ rf30

·
Registered
308 Posts
@orbot, I thought rf34 for WPXI was old, I think I had 3 catches of it on different rf's. Thanks for the correction.

WOSU rf16 is new, I also got something on rf21 with only has 3 channels total 21-1, 21-3 and 21-4, no call sign or identifier.

I think you had WWJ from

WOSU rf16 is new, I also got something on rf21 wich only has 3 channels total 21-1, 21-3 and 21-4, no call sign or identifier.

@Zank Frappa I'm about 90% sure the channel you nearly decoded on RF21 is WWJ from Detroit. This channel has done the exact same thing to me a few times, when it doesn't quite have enough signal strength to identify the call sign. WWJ has 3 sub channels attached to it and it will correct itself to the proper number of sub channels when identified.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks for that info steelzone, whatever I got had only channels on 21-1, 21-3 and 21-4 as far as my tv's tuner considered. I got a very brief view of one channel and it was an infomercial, by the time I clicked the remote for more data it was gone at 13-14dB, never to come back. There is a HUGE red Blob west of you, hope you can snag some new ones!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thanks for that info steelzone, whatever I got had only channels on 21-1, 21-3 and 21-4 as far as my tv's tuner considered. I got a very brief view of one channel and it was an infomercial, by the time I clicked the remote for more data it was gone at 13-14dB, never to come back. There is a HUGE red Blob west of you, hope you can snag some new ones!
Like usual this tropo season, I can't quite reach the blob and or the signal paths are not pointing to my location. Oh well, such is life in this hobby.

However, according to the live bandscan the Lima Ohio location must be having a blast. He's had a few catches over 500 miles and he's found Kansas City, St.Louis, stations in Illinois and Iowa during this blob event. Just gotta be in the right place at the right time and neither one applies to me at the moment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ZF - So you didn't see a 21-2 in your TV? WWJ Detroit broadcasts on RF 21 and has four channels, but they remap as channel 62. They are a network station (CBS). You mention an infomercial, but you didn't have them long enough to get more data. There a few other PSIP 21 stations to your south. IF your TV actually started to gather data on the signal, then WWJ would appear as 62-1, 62-2, 62-3, and 62-4.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

·
Registered
795 Posts
Since you grabbed WOSU, could it have been a partial lock of WBNS Columbus? Sometimes my tuners will only partially lock a channel and won't show virtual channels (only physical) or callsigns, and might miss some sub-channels. I learned recently that if you get one of those partial locks in the hdhomerun_config_gui, you can use the streaminfo command line parameter to get the TSID and cross-reference with the RabbitEars.Info TSID List to identify the channel, since the TSID is collected before the virtual numbers and callsigns.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ZF - So you didn't see a 21-2 in your TV? WWJ Detroit broadcasts on RF 21 and has four channels, but they remap as channel 62. They are a network station (CBS). You mention an infomercial, but you didn't have them long enough to get more data. There a few other PSIP 21 stations to your south. IF your TV actually started to gather data on the signal, then WWJ would appear as 62-1, 62-2, 62-3, and 62-4.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri
This is not true in the case of WWJ. When you have a low signal on WWJ it will always show 21-1, 21-3 and 21-4. It never shows 21-2. If Zank happened to get a stronger signal after receiving the 21-1, 21-3 and the 21-4 channels, it would have switched to 62-1, 62-2, 62-3, 62-4 and the WWJ call sign. I've had his happen a few times to me. This is how I know he likely had WWJ. I'll try to recreate this situation tonight and post a video of what I'm talking about, if I'm able to do it.

Update: I could not recreate this condition with WWJ again. 8 out of 9 times while pointing away from WWJ's footprint the tuner showed 21-1, 21-2, 21-3 and 21-4. I immediately turned the antenna west to lock in 62-1 to 62-4. The one time last night WWJ and its data screwed up was when it only showed 21-1 and 21-2. Of course I turned the antenna west again immediately and WWJ locked in showing 62-1 to 62-4. In conclusion, sometimes the data is messed up on WWJ and I'm not sure why. My experiment made me look crazy because 21-2 kept showing up when I said it would not. It must be early dementia setting in on my part, lol. That old crazy fart, steelota!

·
Registered
643 Posts
@James Thomas, no I didn't see a 21-2 which was why I posted. I use rabbittears.info, gives great info and is the go to source for all unidentifiable grabs, but that capture was unfigurable. I highly doubt it was a partial grab of WBNS as that channel always comes in clean, overpowering WSEE. My TV's tuner showed that decode for over an hour, which was really amazing considering WSEE was still in it's wheelhouse pointed west of me. I suspect Steelzone/Steelota has nailed it, in spite of him not being able to replicate that configuration in the last couple of days.

One thing to note, about 300-400 meters from me is a large construction totally surrounded in metal scaffolding just shy of my antenna's height, my FF4 antenna was pointed between it and Cleveland, which puts it about 15 degrees off WSEE. Normally WSEE is a 24/7 station, whatever I got totally smoked it, a reflection off that stuff from a high power from Detroit is not unlikely.

I have zero line of sight to London Ontario or anything north of Sandusky Ohio but have grabbed a few channels from those areas via reflections, most often when the antenna is pointed to the east and grabbing them off the Chicopee Ski hill in Kitchener, about 2km from me.

Thanks for all your input, I woke up early HOPING that big red BLOB to the west would move east and so far no frigging luck. Happy hunting all!

1461 - 1480 of 1480 Posts