Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1441 - 1460 of 1478 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
@steelota, what type of FM antenna are you using for your FM dxing??? I cant seem to find anyone selling FM only antenna's online. Im looking for one for my home , at the cottage I use an old 10 elelment FM radio shack antenna from 1987 its a bit bent up but still works good. Im thinking about buying one of those sangean HD radio rec.....thx in advance.
Hi DetroitTVFAN,

I know you were asking steelota about the FM antenna. I DX both TV and FM and I actually build my own antennas now, because there just isn't much available for good FM DXing. Amazon has this Stellar Labs four element model that sells from three or four different dealers>>>

At one time both Channel Master and Winegard had really good directional FM antennas for putting up outside. Seems they are all disappearing. There are one or two good models from Europe but it cost a bit of money to get one sent across the pond.

Jim - Springfield, Missouri

·
Registered
307 Posts
@steelota, what type of FM antenna are you using for your FM dxing??? I cant seem to find anyone selling FM only antenna's online. Im looking for one for my home , at the cottage I use an old 10 elelment FM radio shack antenna from 1987 its a bit bent up but still works good. Im thinking about buying one of those sangean HD radio rec.....thx in advance.
I have a very basic setup. I sit out on my deck and use the telescopic antenna that is on my XHDATA d-808 portable radio. I likely miss out on a lot of stations with this setup. It does have a spot on the radio to connect an antenna to it. I'm not sure what antenna, I could use for that input, as I've never used anything but the telescopic one on the radio.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This Canadian supplier has a Winegard HD-6000 FM antenna. Don't know if these are good for DXing or not. $69.99. A few of these places have long discontinued antennas still in stock, it seems.

• Boom Length: 33
  • Active Elements: 4
  • Height: 3
  • Turning Radius: 39
  • Maximum Width: 65.5
  • Output Impedance: 300 ohm / 75 ohm with included transformer
  • Box size: 43 x 6½ x 6½
  • (Formerly the PR-6000)
Here's a better pic of the model:

·
Registered
307 Posts
A little bit of FM e-skip action today.
KJIL 88.9, one of its translators from either Guyman OK, Fallet Texas or Manhatten KS.
KRPS 89.9 Pittsburg, Kansas, Pittsburg State University Radio
My 93 on 93.1 from Hutchison, Kansas
91.7 KXT Dallas/ Fort Worth

Update : 88.9, The One Denton Texas, University of North Texas campus
88.1, Air One KKRI Pocola Oklahoma
88.5, KEOM Mesquite Texas, Your Community Leader
89.3, KNON, Arlington Texas, Best Music Radio Station
90.1, KERA Forth Worth Texas
92.1, KFXI Marlow Oklahoma The Real Country Giant
88.1, KMSI Oklahoma City, Oasis Network Radio
88.3, KOSR, Sillwater Oklahoma
88.5, KZTH Oklahoma City, House FM. This is about the 3rd time I've had this in the last week.
89.1, KGOU Norman Oklahoma
89.9, KRBX*? Caldwell Idaho, I thought I heard KRPX but the only station close to these call letters according to the stations list on wikipedia at 89.9 was KRBX*? Also heard them talk about listener donations and KRBX happens to be a listener supported independent station. (1757 miles)
93.1, Q93 Charlottetown PEI
94.7, St. Johns New Foundland OZ FM 1412 miles

Update at 8:00 pm, even in the rain this event doesn't want to end.
WHRV 90.0, Norfolk Virginia
96.9, Moncton NB, New Country
Max 98.3, Cape Breton Classic Rock

·
Registered
43 Posts
A little bit of FM e-skip action today.
KRPS 88.9 Pittsburg, Kansas, Pittsburg State University Radio

***This station is actually on 89.9, Pittsburg KS is 2 hours NW of me.

89.9, KRBX*? Caldwell Idaho, I thought I heard KRPX but the only station close to these call letters according to the stations list on wikipedia at 89.9 was KRBX*? Also heard them talk about listener donations and KRBX happens to be a listener supported independent station. (1757 miles)

***Note that you referenced 89.9 - isn't it possible this is KRPS, since you heard them earlier, but noted on the wrong frequency?
For accuracy in searching for FM stations in the US and Canada (as well as Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean), I encourage you to try the WTFDA FM Database >>>

Jim Thomas - Springfield, Missouri
A WTFDA member of the board of directors

·
Registered
43 Posts
Probably the best FM antenna that money can buy right now, but you'll pay to get it shipped to you >>>

·
Registered
795 Posts
Wow, that antenna's 30 lbs and as long as my tower's height!

·
Registered
307 Posts
For accuracy in searching for FM stations in the US and Canada (as well as Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean), I encourage you to try the WTFDA FM Database >>>

Jim Thomas - Springfield, Missouri
A WTFDA member of the board of directors
Probably the best FM antenna that money can buy right now, but you'll pay to get it shipped to you >>>

The frequency for KRPS was accurately wrote down on my sheet. It is when I typed it onto this website that I touched the wrong key. Nevertheless, I've changed it in my post. Thank you for pointing this out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow, that antenna's 30 lbs and as long as my tower's height!
Anyone up for a 28ft antenna? I don't need FM that bad, I'd probably overload the 30 stations that are within 20 miles away. I thought my 15ft Yagi was big. Looks like it's bending in the middle, can't believe there isn't support beams like the other monster Yagi's have.

Support in the middle like this:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone up for a 28ft antenna? I don't need FM that bad, I'd probably overload the 30 stations that are within 20 miles away. I thought my 15ft Yagi was big. Looks like it's bending in the middle, can't believe there isn't support beams like the other monster Yagi's have.
That antenna should've really had a double boom, so that it has two U-bolts to attach to the mast. I build TV/FM antennas as a part of my DXing hobby/addiction. When I build a longer antenna that is going to end up with wind load, I include a 1/3 length boom, which is centered to the length of the entire boom and offset by 6" and is below the main boom. Then there are two U-bolts to clamp to the mast from each boom section. That antenna could have a 1/3 boom added to it if you were up to the chore and could salvage a used antenna that had a good boom on it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Couldn't imagine that thing in Hurricane/Tornado alley... first big wind and it would be laying on top of the neighbor's house:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thx steelota, Jim in springfield and Gibbsons for your replies......I will check out those antenna's you all mentioned.

Steelota you sure do great with that setup you have. Those stations you have received are unbeleivable.

Gibbson's I would love to try that big antenna, especially by lake erie, but here in Windsor with all the stations we get on FM I dont think it would be feasable.

Jim, love your town of Springfield , was there once yrs back and wnt to your big Bass Pro shop there, my brother inlaw was stationed at Ft.Leoneardwood and drove us down there and to Branson. Beautiful country!!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
To my surprise my area had another fm e-skip event. This time it started at 8pm tonight and ended at 10:30 pm. In this window, I identified the following stations.

90.7, NPR Central Florida, WMFE, Orlando
88.1, KLBT, Beaumont Texas
88.7, KRVS, Lafayette La Public Radio
90.7, KLSA, Red River Radio Alexandria La
90.9, KCBI, Dallas
92.5, WCKN, Kicking Country, Charleston SC
88.1, KGNZ, Abilene Texas, Life Changing Music

Hopefully, we'll get some action to report on the television side, someday. I've only had a few transmitters over 100 miles this summer. The worst dxing summer for tv, so far.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hopefully, we'll get some action to report on the television side, someday. I've only had a few transmitters over 100 miles this summer. The worst dxing summer for tv, so far.

As Ray Davies and DLR sang, "Where have all the good times gone".

Yesterday morning started promisingly with lots of Cleveland and Youngstown and then petered out fast.

I concur, this has been a horrible year for tropo.

Congrats to all who've snagged something new!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Another round of e-skip today. So far:
91.9, Vero Beach Florida Christian FM
90.0, Brewton Alabama Wow Radio
90.7, KVRT Victoria Texas, repeater of KEDT
93.1, WFEZ, Easy 93.1, Miami, Florida
88.1, Joy FM, Bradenton Florida

I apologize in advance for my upcoming mini novel. From 7:00 pm to 10:15pm.
88.1, WKNC, Raleigh NC, North Carolina State University
88.5, KEOM, Mesquite Texas, Your Community Leader
88.9, KWCV, Walnut Grove Arkansas, Bott Radio Network
88.9, WNSC, Rock Hill SC, NPR
89.1, KUAR, Little Rock Arkansas, NPR
90.1, KERA, Dallas, NPR
90.3, KLCU, Ardmore Oklahoma
90.5, WHQB, Gray Court SC, Life FM
90.7, WMFE, Orlando FL, NPR Florida
90.9, KCBI, Dallas
91.3, KUAF, Fayetteville Arkansas
91.3, KNCT, Killen Texas, Simply Beautiful
93.1, Easy 93.1, Miami FL
93.3, KLIF, Hot 93.3, Dallas
95.5, Wild 95.5, West Palm Beach FL
88.1, WKOC, Raleigh, Hip Hop
96.3, KSCS, Dallas, New Country 963
96.3, WRHT, Morehead City NC
98.7, WPBB, Tampa Bay, The Shark
99.1, WEDR, Hollywood FL, 99 Jamz, The People's Station
99.7, WJKD, Vero Beach FL, Jack FM
88.1, WUWF, Pensacola FL, Public Radio
88.5, KZTH, Oklahoma City, House FM, caught for the 4th time*
89.1, KQOU, Clinton Oklahoma
89.7, WUSF, Tampa Bay
91.7, KOSU, Stillwater OK, The Spy FM
93.1, Coast Country, Port Orange FL

@orbot I will try to revive the FM OTA thread next time I get some e-skip. Thanks for letting me know about it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Maybe you could try to revive the FM DXing thread: FM-OTA: Great Lakes Area DXing, Tropo, Atypical Reception

There's also an FM Live Bandscan now over at RabbitEars: FM reception map

I'd like to join that some time, probably next year. I agree, the new repack band has been brutal for tropo. You guys could grab some extra new channels if you joined the DTV Live Bandscan. I picked up a new one today during eskip:

RF4 (18.1-4) WNGH Chatsworth, GA

·
Registered
307 Posts
Maybe you could try to revive the FM DXing thread: FM-OTA: Great Lakes Area DXing, Tropo, Atypical Reception

There's also an FM Live Bandscan now over at RabbitEars: FM reception map

I'd like to join that some time, probably next year. I agree, the new repack band has been brutal for tropo. You guys could grab some extra new channels if you joined the DTV Live Bandscan. I picked up a new one today during eskip:

RF4 (18.1-4) WNGH Chatsworth, GA
@orbot Did you see how many stations the Hatteras Island setup has gotten in the last 24 hours on the Live FM Bandscan? He makes my list look amateurish.

Don't the tuners have to be directly connected to both the router/modem and a computer as well?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I will be updating my catches later on in the FM OTA Great Lakes Tropo thread which orbot posted the link to above. If I can't revive that thread I'll start posting my results on the wtfda.org website which James Thomas has suggested to me. No sense in posting my results on this thread here, if I am just cluttering up this forum and some posters are not interested.

To me it makes more sense to have the FM and TV results in the same thread, being that the narrow tv band will continue to struggle with tropo in the summer. FM e-skip is the opposite, good from May-July while tv tropo will only be good in the fall months, imo. Nevertheless, I understand what orbot is trying to do, even if I don't agree 100%. I'm of the opinion that this forum will be a ghost town in the summer months and the rest of the year really soon. And if it is out of sight it will soon be out of mind, if you know what I mean.

Today's e-skip catches is now up on this link FM-OTA: Great Lakes Area DXing, Tropo, Atypical Reception

·
Registered
43 Posts
@orbot Did you see how many stations the Hatteras Island setup has gotten in the last 24 hours on the Live FM Bandscan? He makes my list look amateurish.

Don't the tuners have to be directly connected to both the router/modem and a computer as well?
Yes it does, using the SDR and the program. It completes a scan in less than 2 minutes, uploads the data to RabbitEars, then starts again. The Hatteras Island live bandscan tuner (Outer Banks) is operated by a guy named Rick, who is an active member of the WTFDA.

·
Registered
795 Posts
steelota, it sounds like your location is doing great with only a monopole, just imagine what you'd get with that 28-foot fm antenna that James Thomas posted. I found some instructions for the FM Live Bandscan but I'm still pretty clueless about that fm hardware/software stuff: Invitation to join the live bandscan

I finally grabbed KDLO today, I say "finally" because Hepburn picks it up all the time. I grabbed it a few weeks ago but it only partially locked with no callsigns/virtual numbers, but now it's official.

RF3 (3.1-2) KDLO Florence, SD

1441 - 1460 of 1478 Posts